ch-scene - [Internationalist] Important Event Coming up at I-Books! Teach-in for Sanitation 2!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Important Event Coming up at I-Books! Teach-in for Sanitation 2!
  • Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 16:04:12 -0500

Members,

I unintentionally neglected to mention in the Weekly Email an important event that is coming up at our store in less than a week!

Join us this Sunday, March 13 at 6:30pm for a teach-in and strategy session to prepare for the upcoming town council meeting regarding the Sanitation 2 and the fight against union busting and structural racism in Chapel Hill.

If you are not familiar with the Sanitation 2, Rev. Kerry Bigelow and Mr. Clyde Clark were both fired from their jobs as sanitation workers under allegations of insubordination and harassment of residents and coworkers. However, Bigelow and Clark maintain that they were fired for union activity and for their raising of concerns amongst coworkers of safety violations and racial discrimination on the job.

The town council has rejected appeals on both of their cases and it is the hope of the two union organizers to bring this issue before the town council at their next meeting on Monday March 14, which is the reason for the teach-in and strategy session at Internationalist Books. Please join us if you would like to be involved in this process!

It is also worth mentioning that the Bob Sheldon Award was given to these two union organizers this year to honor their struggle and show our solidarity with them. It would be great if a lot of people could represent Internationalist Books in this way by helping provide support!

Thanks!

Laurin - Outreach Coordinator

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: