ch-scene - [Internationalist] Internationalist Books Weekly Events and Updates

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Internationalist Books Weekly Events and Updates
  • Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 14:13:53 -0500

Welcome to your weekly email of events and other happenings at Internationalist Books! We've got a couple events coming up this week and the next two months have some really interesting things going on, so be sure to check out the I-Books website for more events than what I've listed here!

==Store News==

*New Graff Supplies in!
We have new graffiti supplies in this week, including mops, caps (skinny and fat) and markers (including some steel nib markers) from Illadel Stylez. Come by and check them out!

*Women's History Month Sale!
Also, in honor of March being Women's History Month (or Women's HERstory Month), we are offering a 15% discount on Women's History and related titles.

*Social Networking Update
I-Books is now on Twitter! And we have a Flickr Account!
Twitter: Discounts, events, new inventory updates can be found there. Tell your
friends. Follow us at: ibookscc
http://twitter.com/#!/ibookscc*

Flickr: Events, flyers, and store photos are being posted
Add us to your contacts! http://www.flickr.com/photos/internationalistbooks/

(And we have a Facebook account in case you didn't know; search for "Internationalist Books & Community Center" and become a Fan!)

==This Week's Events (@ IBooks)==

Monthly Craft Night
Tuesday March 8 @ 7pm
Join us for our third monthly Craft Night! If there is a project you're trying to start, in the middle of, or dying to finally finish then come on out and get it done with some other equally motivated people! Tea, coffee, and snacks will be available!

Bi-Monthly Trans Discussion Group
Wednesday March 9 @ 8pm
Trans Discussion Group, co-hosted by the North Carolina Harm Reduction Coalition and Internationalist Books, is a bi-monthly support/discussion group for people who identify as trans, genderqueer, or gender-questioning. Our meetings will provide a safe space for folks to share and process experiences, be of support to one another, and organize around issues that affect the trans community. Open to anyone who needs/wants trans support.
Tea and snacks will be provided!

Graffiti Movie Night
Thursday March 10 @ 7pm
INFAMY is an intense journey into the dangerous lives and obsessed minds of six of America's most prolific graffiti artists. Directed by acclaimed filmmaker Doug Pray ('Hype!' and 'Scratch') who teamed up with writer, publisher, and graffiti guru Roger Gastman, the movie takes you deep into the world of street legends SABER, TOOMER, JASE, CLAW, EARSNOT, and ENEM.

==Other March Events in Brief==

*March Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night, Wed. Mar 16 @ 7pm
*Earth First! Movie Night: "Defending the Forests: The Struggle of the Campesino Environmentalists of Guerrero", Thurs. Mar 17 @ 7pm
*March Board Game Night, Mon. Mar 21 @ 7pm
*Bi-Monthly Trans Discussion Group, Wed. Mar 23 @ 8pm
*Queer Movie Night: "Brother Outsider: The Life of Bayard Rustin", Thurs. March 24 @ 7pm
*Live Music, PJB with Subscape Annex, Fri March 25 9pm-12am
*Member Pick Movie Night: "Persepolis", Thurs March 31 @ 7pm

==Community Events This Week==

*Jewish Boat to Gaza: Two Peoples - One Future
Wednesday March 9 @ 7:30 PM
Community Church of Chapel Hill Unitarian Universalist
106 Purefoy Rd, Chapel Hill.

Two Jews on the September 2010 Jewish Boat to Gaza tell their stories, one a boat captain and the other an 82-year-old Holocaust survivor.

Info: 490-5546, 542-2139.

*Hands Off NC Prison Rebels: National Call-In Day
Sat. March 12 all day
On Saturday March 12, there will be a national call-in day to the North Carolina Department of Corrections, in solidarity with prison rebels across the state, and in particular those facing repercussions for organizing study groups and collective actions at Bertie Correctional Institution in Windsor, NC.

Several prisoners have faced repercussions for their roles in this activity. One prisoner, an outspoken anarchist and gang leader named James Graham, has been thrown in solitary confinement on a more or less permanent basis, and was brutally beaten by six guards during a cell extraction several weeks ago. Others have also faced time in solitary, the loss of 'privileges,' and other punishments.

NC DOC
Phone : (919)838-4000
Fax: (919)733-8272
Email: info AT doc.state.nc.us

Bertie C.I.
Phone: 252-794-8600
Fax: 252-794-4608

(for more info on this, visit http://www.internationalistbooks.org/?q=node/506)

====

That's it for this week's updates. As always, check out www.internationalistbooks.org for information on these events and others, as well as store news and new inventory updates!

Until Next time,
Internationalist Books & Community Center

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: