ch-scene - stuff to do, week of February 17, 2011

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of February 17, 2011
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 22:56:24 -0500

Thursday, February 17
Fan Modine (http://www.grimsey.com/fanmodine.html)
Thank You (http://www.thrilljockey.com/artists/?id=11346)
MUtX
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

What does it say about music culture in 2011 that the guy from Thrill Jockey has emailed me like 4 times about these Thank You shows, and has sent me links to download the whole album, and yet I haven't done so? And I generally like Thrill Jockey bands, too.

I *know* I like Fan Modine, the sometimes one-man-band of one Mr. Gordon Zacharias. Sometimes he cons his friends (including Polvo's Ash Bowie, among others) into playing with him. Sometimes it's just Gordon & a backing track, karaoke-style.

Thursday, February 17
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Air Waves
2702 Lawndale, Durham

Air Waves are from Austin. Craig says: "I reeeally do intend on starting this show earlier than "usual." I realize I've said this before and not delivered, but that's only because oftentimes literally NOBODY (except for sometimes a few very close friends) arrives anywhere close to "on time" and I always feel too guilty to make bands (especially those that have traveled) play to a half dozen people. That all being said, if we can't get shows on weeknights to end a bit earlier, I MAY HAVE TO STOP DOING THEM. It's up to YOU."

Thursday, February 17
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Salt to Bitters (http://www.myspace.com/salttobitters)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

It's a showcase of sorts for Chapel Hill record label Tiny Canvas -- both of these bands include label honcho Tony Raver, and both appear on the new label sampler, Tiny Canvas Chapter One.

Thursday, February 17
NAPS
Jenna & The Jintlemen
Nests
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, February 17
The Mercators (http://www.myspace.com/themercators)
Shortwave Society (http://www.myspace.com/shortwavesociety)
The Pinkerton Raid
The Pinhook, Durham

Thursday, February 17
Deicide (http://www.myspace.com/theofficialdeicidemyspacepage)
Blackguard
Neuraxis (http://www.myspace.com/neuraxis)
Pathology (http://www.myspace.com/pathologydm)
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Thursday, February 17
Lexicon (http://www.myspace.com/lexicon)
Will Hoggard
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, February 18
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
The Tomahawks (http://www.myspace.com/jeffcrawfordmusic)
Floating Action (http://www.myspace.com/floatingaction)
Kings, Raleigh

The new Floating Action album is streaming somewhere, I'm pretty sure, and the only reason I haven't heard it yet is that I can't remember exactly where. Floating Action frontman/only-permanent-member Seth Kauffman lives in Black Mountain, and every year or two he'll sit down & write & record a batch of breezy mid-fi soul tunes that sound like they're emanating from that exact place & time in the late 50s/early 60s when American R&B/soul floated over the airwaves across the Caribbean & spawned ska.

Friday, February 18
Spaghetti Western (http://www.myspace.com/theleonardcohencoverband)
Primal Static (http://www.primalstatic.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, February 18
Thank You (http://www.thrilljockey.com/artists/?id=11346)
Oulipo (http://oulipo.bandcamp.com)
Fifty Bird Step
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Friday, February 18
Onward Soldiers (http://www.myspace.com/onwardsoldiers)
Missy Raines & the New Hip (http://missyraines.com/)
The Casbah, Durham

Friday, February 18
Chest Pains (http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains)
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

There are a lot of middle-aged punkrock bands in the Triangle nowadays (seriously -- it's practically an epidemic), but few fly the old-man flag as loud-and-proud as the Chest Pains.

Friday, February 18
Orobourus
Thunderbrew
DIVEbar, Raleigh

Saturday, February 19
Rooney (http://www.rooney-band.com)
Delta Rae (http://www.myspace.com/theholljesbrothers)
Eisley (http://www.eisley.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, February 19
Old Habits (http://www.old-habits.com/)
The Clay Pigeons
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, February 19
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Felix Obelix (http://www.myspace.com/felixobelix)
Justin Robinson & the Mary Annettes
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is the after-party for the Strange Beauty Film Festival, taking place this weekend at the Manbites Dog theater on Foster Street, right around the corner from the MotorCo. The film festival is the brainchild of local filmmakers Joyce Ventimiglia & Jim Haverkamp (Jim used to run the Flicker film series in Chapel Hill, and has worked with Brett Ingram on the films Monster Road and Rocaterranea).

The party/show was assembled by Wendy Spitzer of Felix Obelix. The biggest news, I suppose, given recent events, is that this is the first appearance by Justin Robinson & the Mary Annettes since Justin (a) announced he was leaving the Carolina Chocolate Drops and (b) along with the other two Drops, won a Grammy for best traditional folk album.

Saturday, February 19
Tea & Tempests (http://www.myspace.com/teatempests)
Michael and His Garden (http://www.myspace.com/michaelandhisgarden)
Fanghole
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, February 19
Lud (http://www.ludland.com/)
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sometimes when that most reclusive of local bands, Lud, emerges from hiding to play some shows, it's an early sign that there might be a new album in the works. Which is of course reason for rejoicing, but then so is the mere fact that they're playing shows.

Which they do so rarely that you'd easily be forgiven for never having seen them. But only if you rectify that situation posthaste.

Saturday, February 19
Graveyard Boulevard (http://www.thegraveyardboulevard.net/)
38 Gauge
DIVEbar, Raleigh

Sunday, February 20
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Wesley Wolfe
All Day Records, Carrboro

These Sunday shows at All Day typically start in the 5 or 6 pm timeframe. There few bands in the Triangle as crazy (and/or as good at being crazy) as the Spider Bags.

Sunday, February 20
D-Town Brass
The Budos Band (http://www.thebudos.com/)
DJ Ras J (http://www.myspace.com/soulcircle)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, February 20
Weedeater (http://www.berserkerrecords.com)
ASG
HOG
The Casbah, Durham

Wilmington's Weedeater feature former (and now current, again, I guess) Buzzov*en bassist Dixie Dave Collins, and they carry on that southern sludge/meth metal tradition.

Sunday, February 20
MattaGawa (http://www.myspace.com/mattagawa)
Rumpelstiltskin
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, February 20
Richard Bacchus (http://www.richardbacchus.com/)
Blackfoot Gypsies
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Monday, February 21
Man Will Destroy Himself
Parasytic
RBT
Squall (http://www.myspace.com/squallband666)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Tuesday, February 22
Filthybird (http://www.myspace.com/filthybird)
The Futurebirds (http://www.myspace.com/thefuturebirds)
Kings, Raleigh

It must an irresistible booking, this bill of F-bird bands.

Tuesday, February 22
The Itchy Hearts
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Tuesday, February 22
Torch Runner (http://www.myspace.com/torchrunnernc)
Dickkicker (http://www.myspace.com/dickkickertlh)
Douglas Shields & the X Factors (http://www.myspace.com/douglasshieldsthexfactors)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Those of us who missed the first night of the Bull City Metal Fest arrived on Saturday to a deafening chorus of "OMG, did you see Torch Runner???"

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------
the alt.music.chapel-hill guide to the triangle