ch-scene - LUEGO + AIR WAVES (Austin/Underwater Peoples) House Show on Thurs. (w/ earlier start time!)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Craig Powell <craigpowell AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: LUEGO + AIR WAVES (Austin/Underwater Peoples) House Show on Thurs. (w/ earlier start time!)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 15:03:38 -0500

Hey folks -

I'm VERY excited to have this killer house show coming up at Layabout (2702
Lawndale Ave.) in Durham on Thursday!! as per usual it's open to one and
all, BYOB/all-ages/$6 suggested donation.

AIR WAVES (Austin/NYC) will once again bring their distinct brand of grownup
indie-pop to Layabout! They just released an amazing LP called 'Dungeon
Dots' on the Underwater Peoples label (Real Estate, Julian Lynch, Tennis,
etc.) and Nicole now has a new Austin-based band. She's also one of my
FAVORITE current singer/songwriters...Sure to appeal to fans of her
labelmates as well as artists like Neil Young, The Clean, Velvet
Underground, etc. The band's past couple of Layabout appearances have been
amongst the best this ol' house has ever seen! http://myspace.com/airwave
smusic + http://airwavesmusic.wordpress.com

LUEGO (Durham!) will finally be making their debut appearance at Layabout
after a false start (my fault, not their fault!) last year. They seamlessly
meld my favorite bits of alt-country and power pop, and have songwriting
chops galore! (just check out their LP from last year, 'Ocho.') Luego is the
primary project of Patrick, my neighbor/a Layabout regular, and his band
often features members of The dB's, The Tomahawks & The Huguenots amongst
others.http://reverbnation.com/luego + http://luego.bandcamp.com/

One thing worth noting: I intend on starting this show earlier than
"usual"... Contrary to popular belief, 8:30 or 9pm is NOT too early to
arrive at Layabout on a weeknight to see a show! I realize I've said this
before and then not held up my end of the deal, and that's because
oftentimes NOBODY (except for sometimes a few very close friends) arrives
anywhere close to "on time" and I always feel a bit too guilty to make bands
(especially those that have traveled) play to just a few people. If we can
all get on board with this, Layabout has LOTS of cool stuff in store for
various weeknights in the coming months. People can hang out at my house as
late as they want after the bands finish, but PLEASE arrive on time (ideally
sometime between 8-9pm. i don't expect everyone to show up at 8 on the dot)
to see the bands!!! They're WORTH IT!!!!

Here's a link to all of the above info on a nice lil' fb "event page."
invite yr friends! - http://on.fb.me/hQN9PS

yrs,
Craig Layabout
ModCo Records :: moderncountryrecords.com
The Layabout :: the-layabout.com
Triangle Showlist :: triangleshowlist.com

  • LUEGO + AIR WAVES (Austin/Underwater Peoples) House Show on Thurs. (w/ earlier start time!), Craig Powell, 02/15/2011