ch-scene - stuff to do, week of February 2, 2011

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of February 2, 2011
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 22:09:58 -0500

Wednesday, February 2
Reese McHenry
We are the Willows
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Reese McHenry is the superstar frontwoman of the Dirty Little Heaters.

Wednesday, February 2
Point Break
Rob Allen
The Casbah, Durham

Wednesday, February 2
Dreamweapon II: An Evening of Contemporary Guitar Music
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

"featuring members of Goodbye Titan, Where the Buffalo Roamed, and White Cascade, and special guest Peripherals (solo project of Corbie Hill of Where the Buffalo Roamed)"

Thursday, February 3
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
The Casbah, Durham

The Casbah's website says doors at 8, show at 9. If there's even a slim chance of that being accurate, I'll be a happy man. These are three of my favorite Durham bands, and catching all three *and* being home by midnight-ish would make me swoon a little.

Thursday, February 3
Lizh (http://www.lizhmusic.com)
YahZarah (http://www.myspace.com/yahzarah)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is a fundraiser for Spirit House. http://www.spirithouse-nc.org/

Durham's own Yahzarah put out an excellent neo-soul album, The Ballad of Purple St. James, last year on +FE Music, the label of The Foreign Exchange.

Thursday, February 3
919Noise Showcase
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This month's lineup: Subscape Annex / Andras Fekete (Boat Burning) / Nuss / Matt Northrup (member of Casual Curious)

Thursday, February 3
Monotonix (http://www.monotonix.com/)
Pujol (http://www.myspace.com/danielluccapujol)
Federation X (http://www.blingcheese.com/video-13/hatchetman.htm)
Kings, Raleigh

Last tour for a while for crazed high-energy Israeli band Monotonix, who are getting ready to go on some kind of child-related hiatus.

Thursday, February 3
Thieves (http://www.myspace.com/thievestildeath)
RBT
Shards (http://www.myspace.com/shardsnc)
Squall (http://www.myspace.com/squallband666)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Local Bands, Local Beers. I listened to a little bit of the Shards' debut album this afternoon. It was less hyper & more mean/AmRep sounding than I'd expected it to be.

Thursday, February 3
Malamondos (http://www.malamondos.com/)
Thee Dirtybeats (http://www.myspace.com/ampsdofurnisharoom)
Los Naturales
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Garage-rock a-go-go. Los Naturales just had a single-release party for a new 7", so hopefully they still have some left & you can pick it up at the show.

Thursday, February 3
The Drowning Lovers (http://www.reverbnation.com/thedrowninglovers)
Curtis Eller (http://www.myspace.com/curtiseller)
The Pinhook, Durham

Friday, February 4
Bull City Metal Fest (http://casbahdurham.com/2010/10/frisat-feb-4-and-5-bull-city-metal-fest/)
The Casbah, Durham

This is a massive two-day affair featuring 18 bands from NC and elsewhere in the southeast. I'm a huge fan of many of these bands, in particular locals MAKE, Lurch, In the Year of the Pig (not really metal, but loud as hell & throbbing with an unholy energy), Monsonia, Horseback, US Christmas, Hog & Caltrop. Latest/greatest lineup cut-n-pasted from the website is as follows:

Friday:
6pm Systems
7pm Mortal Man
8pm Torch Runner
9pm MAKE
10pm Music Hates You
11pm Graves of Valor
12pm Lurch

Saturday:
2pm In the Year of the Pig
3pm Unholy Tongues
4pm Monsonia
5pm Horseback
6pm Gollum
7pm Colossus
8pm Sons of Tonatiuh
9pm Royal Thunder
10pm US Christmas
11pm Hog
12pm Caltrop

Friday, February 4
Gambling the Muse (http://www.myspace.com/gamblingthemuse)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Steph Stewart & the Boyfriends (http://stephstewartmusic.wordpress.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, February 4
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Bright Young Things
Cassis Orange
Kings, Raleigh

This is night one of the 8th Annual WKNC Double Barrel Benefit. In addition to recruiting some great bands, this year they'll also have a compilation CD available, full of new recordings that some of the KNCers engineered in the lobby/lounge area of Caldwell Hall there at NCSU. Because their station is actually too small to comfortably accommodate a band performing live. I know. I've tried.

Saturday, February 5
The Bronzed Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/thebronzedchorus)
Man Ray
Lazerwolf
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is a matinee (seriously, 4pm, don't be late) featuring Greensboro instrumental power-duo the Bronzed Chorus.

Saturday, February 5
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Yardwork (http://www.myspace.com/wetdigitalredstorm)
Kid Future
King Mez
HaLo (http://mrbenready.tumblr.com)
Kings, Raleigh

Night Two of the WKNC Double Barrel benefit.

Saturday, February 5
Reese McHenry
Kate Edwards (http://www.myspace.com/defak8)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Dirty Little Heaters frontwoman Reese McHenry continues her tour of Triangle taverns.

Saturday, February 5
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
Last Year's Men (http://www.myspace.com/lastyearsmenband)
Defamiliar
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

It's a birthday party for Montgomery Morris, member of Los Naturales, occasional Last Year's Men guest, Nightlight Trivia Host. Soft-spoken but rock-solid.

Note that In the Year of the Pig will have already played one mega-groove of a set at 2pm at the Bull City Metal Fest. Noplace to go but deeper.

Saturday, February 5
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Vibrant Green (http://vibrantgreen.iuma.com)
Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
Antibubbles
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is yr second chance this week to check out one of the weirdest+best bands in the Triangle, Cantwell Gomez & Jordan, along with the Roxy Music-influenced pop of Soft Company, who're the side trip of Love Language keyboardist Missy Thangs.

Saturday, February 5
Wild Wild Geese (http://www.myspace.com/wildwildgeesemusic)
Twelve Thousand Armies (http://www.myspace.com/12000armies)
Damon Moon and the Whispering Drifters (http://dmatwd.bandcamp.com/)
The Pinhook, Durham

Sunday, February 6
Hurray for the Riff Raff (http://www.myspace.com/hurrayfortheriffraff)
Sam Doores and the Tumbleweeds
The Pinhook, Durham

Sunday, February 6
Deerhoof (http://deerhoof.killrockstars.com/)
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
Ben Butler & Mousepad
Kings, Raleigh

There's actually a certain spastic angular similarity between Deerhoof and Le Weekend. If you're going, go early enough to catch 'em & you may go home with a new favorite local band.

Sunday, February 6
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Damon Moon and the Whispering Drifters (http://dmatwd.bandcamp.com/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of February 2, 2011, Ross Grady, 02/01/2011