ch-scene - stuff to do, week of January 28, 2011

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of January 28, 2011
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 23:49:45 -0500

Friday, January 28
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
The Beast
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is the third-annual Save Our Arts benefit for the Central Park School, which is across the street & a little up the hill from Manbites Dog (and from MotorCo). This is their biggest lineup ever, and boy is it a doozy, with every one of these bands more than capable of headlining a Friday night show in Durham on their own.

Friday, January 28
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
Organos
The Big Picture
Moving Island, Raleigh

This is a benefit/kickoff for Moving Island, a new multi-purpose community education & arts space in Raleigh. There's a big article about them in the Indy this week. http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/in-raleighs-moving-island-two-artists-try-to-make-the-space-local-governments-havent/Content?oid=1983442

Tonight's show starts at 7:30 pm, and festivities continue on Saturday with another nine bands starting at 3pm

Friday, January 28
Tea & Tempests (http://www.myspace.com/teatempests)
Turbo Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/turbofruits)
The Mercators (http://www.myspace.com/themercators)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, January 28
Robbie Fulks (http://robbiefulks.com/)
Tom Meltzer Combo (http://www.myspace.com/tommeltzer)
The Casbah, Durham

Friday, January 28
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
Capstan Shafts (http://myspace.com/capstanshafts)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Dean Wells has been doing Capstan Shafts for the better part of a decade, picking up where the lo-fi/bedroom/4-track era of Guided By Voices left off. He's released over a dozen EPs & full-lengths, and all but the latest were written & recorded essentially all by himself.

They were also brilliant: songs averaging around a minute and a half, lyrics half-sensical but affecting. Solos would spiral up from out of the fuzz and then vanish mid-note. The 2008 album "Fixation Protocols" is still one of my favorite albums of the now-thankfully-departed Oughties.

So it was something of a shock when Dean moved from Vermont to New Hampshire, recorded an album in an actual studio, and then put a band together & started playing shows. I saw the Capstan Shafts (essentially Dean fronting a band of what looked like nervous 19-year-olds) at a house show in Durham last year, and it was a decidedly mixed bag.

Of course, part of the problem was that I couldn't hear a word he was saying, which just confirmed that the biggest hook for me is in the vocals. Shouldn't be any problem hearing those at Local 506, so I'm more than a little excited to give 'em another spin.

Friday, January 28
Phantascist
Lady Lazarus
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 28
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
Jack the Radio (http://www.purevolume.com/jacktheradio)
The Delta Saints
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, January 28
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Octane Saints
DIVEbar, Raleigh

Saturday, January 29
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Heads on Sticks (http://www.thisisstrange.org/)
Mac McCaughan
Motor Skills
Old Bricks
Moving Island, Raleigh

This is the second day of the Moving Island Buoyancy Benefit, and this is the complete lineup:

Young Volcanoes 2:00pm
Mac McCaughan (of Superchunk/Portastatic) 3:00pm
Old Bricks 4:00pm
Phil Cook & His Feat (of Megafaun) 5:00pm
Schooner 6:00pm
Intermission/Q&A About what Moving Island is/does/plans to do! 7:00pm
Kid Future 9:15pm
Naps 10:00pm
Juan Huevos 10:45pm
Heads on Sticks 11:30pm
Motor Skills 12:15am
DJs presented by Denmark Records 1:00am

Saturday, January 29
Bettye LaVette
ArtsCenter, Carrboro

There was an awesome article about Bettye LaVette in the New Yorker in November, but it's not available online. One of the great lost soul singers of the 60s & 70s, she battled through career setbacks & audience indifference until 2005, when Joe Henry produced a phenomenal album, "I've Got My Own Hell To Raise" & she began to finally get at least some of the respect she was due.

Saturday, January 29
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Dexter Romweber and the New Romans (http://www.myspace.com/dexterromweber)
Bustello (http://www.myspace.com/bustellomusic)
The Pinhook, Durham

Show of the week if you like reverb & lush swampy twang.

Saturday, January 29
Wavves (http://www.myspace.com/wavves)
Best Coast (http://bestycoasty.blogspot.com/)
No Joy (http://www.myspace.com/nojoy)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, January 29
Frontier Ruckus (http://www.myspace.com/frontierruckus)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, January 29
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
Whiskey Gentry
Lee Bains and the Glory Fires
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, January 29
Dark Water Rising (http://www.reverbnation.com/darkwaterrising)
Orquesta GarDel
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Saturday, January 29
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Glen Iris
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, January 29
The Royal Nites
Maldora
Sex Panther
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, January 30
The Jackets (http://www.reverbnation.com/TheJackets)
Phil Cook and his Feat
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

This is another Sunday-afternoon installment of the Jackets' residency at MotorCo. I'm told they have tacos & duck-fat tater tots & whatnot from a food trailer out front, too.

Sunday, January 30
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

In the Year of the Pig make the most phenomenally loud pulsing throbbing endless gigantic groove. I'm not 100% sure how I'm gonna fit them into the station, even, but we'll figure something out.

This show, in addition to showcasing one of my absolute favorite local bands, is also by way of a bit of promo for next weekend's Bull City Metal Fest at the Casbah.

Tune in at 4:00 p.m. 88.7FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, January 30
The Big Picture
Red River (http://www.braverecs.com/rrpress/)
The Pinhook, Durham

Sunday, January 30
Smith Westerns (http://www.myspace.com/smithwesterns)
Yuck (http://www.myspace.com/yuckband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Latest/greatest class of 2009-10-11 indie-rock.

Tuesday, February 1
Lissie (http://www.lissie.com/)
Dylan LeBlanc (http://www.dylanleblanc.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, February 1
Big Fat Gap (http://www.bigfatgap.com/)
Matrimony (http://www.myspace.com/matrimony)
Dewi Sant (http://www.myspace.com/dewisantmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of January 28, 2011, Ross Grady, 01/27/2011