ch-scene - [Internationalist] Events at Internationalist Books, Week of January 9-15

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Events at Internationalist Books, Week of January 9-15
  • Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 16:58:57 -0500

We have a lot of events coming up this week, so there sure to be something you're interested in attending!

**********
**Sun Jan 9 at 7pm: Personal Internet Security
Join us for a short but informative presentation where you can learn how to encrypt e-mail, protect hard-drives, and surf the web anonymously. For beginners.

**Tues Jan 11 at 7pm: Craft Night! Learn how to Crochet
Our first-ever craft night! Every second Tuesday evening of the month, join us as we try to learn new craft skills!

This month we will be stitching our way along with crochet hooks as we learn how to crochet. There will be a couple experienced folks on hand, as well as materials you might need (yarn, hooks, patterns, etc).

The plan is to crochet your very own cowl scarf in a moebius pattern. Check out this link for the pattern we will likely be using: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/62728821/CROCHET-MOBIUS-SCARF

Tea and snacks will be provided :)

**Wed Jan 12: January Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night at 7pm
A letter writing night where we send birthday cards to political prisoners. It's an easy way to let these people know they aren't forgotten. These men and women fought for many of the freedoms we take for granted today. If you can't make it the you can get their birthdays and addresses form the prison book collective's website www.prisonbooks.info

**Thur Jan 13 at 7pm: Movie Night! Street Art film "Bomb It!"
This week we will be showing a film about graffiti and street art called "Bomb It"

From the "Bomb It" site (http://blog.bombit-themovie.com/):

"Through interviews and guerilla footage of graffiti writers in action on 5 continents, BOMB IT tells the story of graffiti from its origins in prehistoric cave paintings thru its notorious explosion in New York City during the 70?s and 80?s, then follows the flames as they paint the globe. Featuring old school legends and current favorites such as Taki 183, Cornbread, Stay High 149, T-Kid, Cope 2, Zephyr, Revs, Os Gemeos, KET, Chino, Shepard Fairey, Revok, and Mear One. This cutting edge documentary tracks down today?s most innovative and pervasive street artists as they battle for control over the urban visual landscape. You?ll never look at public space the same way again."

For a trailer visit: http://blog.bombit-themovie.com/trailer/

For more info on the movie visit: http://blog.bombit-themovie.com/

**Sat Jan 15 at 11:30am: Live music from local musician Jake Hughto
Local musician to perform morningtime Saturday show.

Jake Hughto is a contemporary guitarist and songwriter living in North Carolina. Although his work is heavily influenced by Blues and Jazz among other forms, he likes to experiment with musical components and hopes to create a sound that is truly original.

For more info on Jake and to listen to his music visit his website: http://www.jakehughto.com/

**Sat Jan 15 at 5:30pm: Live music from Lost Trail
Local ambient/minimalist group, Lost Trail, will be playing a set at Internationalist in the evening (5:30). They will be playing with friends Jumo.

**********
Further Out...

Mon Jan 17 at 7pm: Monthly Board Game Night!

Wed Jan 19: Garret from the RNC 8 will speak on the criminalization of dissent. (The RNC 8 are a group of people who were targeted with felony conspiracy charges for helping to organize protests against the 2008 Republican National Convention)

Thu Jan 20 at 7pm: Earth First! Movie Night! "Dirty Oil"

Tue Jan 25 at 7pm: Walls, Drums and Olive Trees: Apartheid in Israel

Thu Jan 27 at 7pm: Movie Night! "Fourth World War"

Be sure to check out the site www.internationalistbooks.org/ for more info on any of these events!!

Thanks!
Laurin
Outreach Coordinator

**Also, don't forget! If you want to help plan Bob Sheldon Day 2011, come out to the planning meeting on January 14 at 6:00pm here at Internationalist Books**

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: