ch-scene - Free Music, Great Food! The Broad Street Cafe

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Free Music, Great Food! The Broad Street Cafe
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 05:41:31 -0800 (PST)

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

THANK YOU to everybody who voted us the 2010 "Favorite Restaurant with
Live Entertainment" (Durham Convention and Visitors Bureau)!

Most of our events are FREE events. If you find yourself at the Cafe
enjoying a show, please show your support and appreciation by=85
Purchasing Food =95 Purchasing Beverages =95 Tipping Your Servers
Your support of The Broad Street Caf=E9 will allow us to continue to
support local music to keep most events free.

And if you're the social media kinda person... we would love it if you
would friend us on MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/broadstreetcafebooking

---EVENTS---
Tuesday, December 7
=95 6-8P Broad Street Pint Night featuring Lonerider's Grave Robber
Black IPA

Wednesday, December 8
=95 6:30P Blues N' Brews featuring Duck-Rabbit Holiday Vacation Imperial
Brown
=95 8P Continuum Blues Jam

Thursday, December 9
=95 8P Antonette Goroch
=95 10P North Columbia (alt/folk rock)

Friday, December 10
=95 8P Straight Up Jazz Band (jazz)
=95 10P George Tisdale (rock/experimental/alt)

Saturday, December 11
=95 8P Paul Daniel (folk rock/acoustic)
=95 10P Irish Wolfhounds (celtic/folk)

Sunday, December 12
=95 5P Duke String School
=95 7:30P Sunday Night Jazz Series featuring The JazzTones (jazz/blues/
swing)

---DETAILS---

Tuesday, December 7

=95 6-8P Broad Street Pint Night - $4 pints and you keep the glass!
(while supplies last)
This month's featured beer: Lonerider's Grave Robber Black IPA

A slow chill runs down your spine as Grave Robber passes by. By the
time you notice him its too late. Grave Robber Black IPA is velvety,
rich and roasty with aggressive hop bitterness and flavor. It balances
German Chocolate and Crystal malts with Summit, Amarillo and Simcoe
hops. Grave Robber is the winner of LoneRider's 2010 Brew It Forward
homebrew competition. The recipe is designed by homebrewer Donavan
Dolph of Chapel Hill, NC and then brewed by Donavan and the LoneRider
brew crew. 7.5% ABV.

Wednesday, December 8
=95 6:30P Blues N' Brews Tri-Beer - The Triangle Beer Meet Up
1 You do not need to be a Tri-Beer member to participate in this
event.
Tri-Beer is a group for the true beer enthusiast or those who want to
develop a stronger appreciation for beer. Every month, we try to bring
in a beer that is special or different - - - something that not
everybody would normally get a chance to try. We've had beautiful
casks and kegs from Duck-Rabbit, Lone Rider, Aviator, Sweetwater,
Foothills, and others.

This month's feature is: Duck-Rabbit Holiday Vacation Imperial Brown

=95 8P Continuum Blues Jam- Come out to the Blues Jam every other
Wednesday sponsored by Continuum Consulting Services. Butch Haas will
be facilitating this free-to-the-public jam. So bring your gear, sign
up for a time, and jam with some of Durham=92s finest! Drums, keyboard,
bass, guitar and harp amps provided.

Thursday, December 9

=95 8P Antonette Goroch
A singer, songwriter, mother, writer and world traveler. A singer and
storyteller since the age of 5, she has dabbled in various musical
styles including opera, musicals, rock, country, folk and blues.
Antonette has recorded and co-produced several full length recordings
as the singer/bassist for the all-girl indie rock trio, the Amazon
Mollies (Molly Rock/1997, Promised Land/1999, Sugar Molly/2000); the
singer/guitarist for the folk rock band, Liesl=92s Wet Dress (Shedding
Skin/2001, Gingerbread Aliens/2004, Spielen/2005); and the singer/
guitarist for the indie folk duet, The Hobbyists (The Hobbyists,
2006).
Throughout each of these incarnations, Antonette has been recognized
for her voice, melodies and lyrics, described as "a compelling blend
of intelligence, innocence and insight, with a dash of intellectual
insanity." An avid traveler, Antonette has toured throughout the U.S.,
Canada and Europe in bands and as a solo performer opening for various
artists including Joseph Arthur. She has also collaborated and
performed as a guest with bands/artists including, Smile God Loves
You, Poetics, ShellShag, and The Billy Talbot Band (of Neil Young &
Crazy Horse). AntonetteG's first solo album, "AntonetteG & the Golden
Boys" was released on Rodent Records in May 2009 on CD and iTunes,
along with a special edition vinyl single.

=95 10P North Columbia (alt/folk rock)
North Columbia is Zach Pekar (guitar, vocals), Marty Boles (bass),
Walter Gaudet (drums), Garret Christian (lead guitar), Laura Thomas
(violin), Mike O'foghludha (congas), and Will Bettmann (djembe). The
band formed in Chapel Hill, North Carolina in 2009 and since then has
played a mix of acoustic and full-on rockish shows - learning in the
process that we love the intimate coffee house feel (especially the
free mochas) as well as the larger club and outdoor shows (nothing
like the energy of a good crowd). We play all-original music which is
difficult to describe, maybe "alternative folk-rock with a bit of
roots-ska thrown in", if we're forced to put a name to it. We love
playing out and will be lining up shows for the winter and spring
around the Triangle with an eye towards a European tour in the very
near future...just as soon as they finish that tunnel connecting
Wilmington with Lisbon (Marty's VW bus is ready to make the trek
although we will have to go light on the equipment and skip the
roadies).

Friday, December 10

=95 8P Straight Up Jazz Band (jazz)
A new addition to the Triangle jazz scene, Straight Up! plays a wide
variety of mainstream jazz, latin jazz, and jazz blues featuring Kojo
Owusu-Akyaw on tenor sax, Tom Holmes (alto sax), Bruce Taylor (guitar/
vocals), Evan Mercer (piano/cornet), David Cooley (bass), Larry
Grovenstein (drums) and Sadie Mercer (vocals).

=95 10P George Tisdale (rock/experimental/alt)
The George Tisdale Band, is the newest alternative rock band to hit
the industry scene. While there are many other =93retro=94 rock acts that
have preceded them who now serve as an inspiration. GTB is the newest
force to be reckoned with and remains determined not to be pigeonholed
to a single style or genre. Their music crosses all barriers by fusing
the rich, soulful and often rocking sounds of soul, funk, rock,
psychedelic, folk, and ballads receptive to audiences of every class,
creed and color.

George received his start at age 8 while playing the drums, keys and
later the guitar at his parent=92s church in Dallas, TX. Upon completion
of a tour of Duty in the U.S. Airforce, George took his gifts and
toured Europe; it was there his dream of becoming an artist began to
manifest. George returned from Europe and attended North Carolina
Central University where he studied jazz under the tutelage of the
legendary Dr. Ira Wiggins. At NCCU George developed his sound and
found a style distinctive enough to separate him from the masses. As
he reflects on his journey, George says, =93All my life I knew I was a
performer with something powerful to share, I knew I was an artist
created with purpose and now its time the world knows who George
Tisdale is=94.

Some of George=92s personal influences hail from his very own family
tree to include Hidden Beach and Sony Recording Artist, Keite Young
and his Uncle, the well renowned smooth jazz bassist Wayman Tisdale,
James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Bilal, Kevin Michael, Marvin Gaye, Sly and
the family Stone, and John Peter West to name a few. Despite the vast
array of influences, George places an all-inclusive spin on rock &
soul that has empowered him with the ability to establish himself as
the epitome of retro while raising the standard in becoming one of the
world\=92s greatest style icon.

George has worked with a range of noteworthy artists from Branford
Marsalis, Ellis Marsalis, Keite Young, Dalon Collins, Nnenna Freelon,
Lenora Zenzalai Helm, Eriv Revis, Joey Calderazzo, Jeff =93Tain=94 Watts,
Chris Coleman, Kevin Mahogany, Antonio Hart, and Grady Tate just to
name a few. George recently teamed up with =93Da Katalyst=94 production
team, led by Aaron =93Treeptop=94 Pines, a prolific producer from Texas,
Simon Illa of Philadelphia, PA, the immaculate Purple St. James,
formerly known as Yahzarah, the legendary production team Organized
Noize, Chris Warrior and along with a host of other great producers,
singer/songwriters, and musicians to complete his current project
entitled =93Born Free=94.

GTB=92s drive reminds us of music=92s essential quality of boundless
invention by all available means. As an independent band with a
refreshing sound, they continue to perfect their craft and keep labels
and audiences buzzing across the country.

Saturday, December 11

=95 8P Paul Daniel (folk rock/acoustic)
Paul Daniel is a powerful singer/songwriter and guitarist from
Raleigh, North Carolina. Paul thrives on the raw purity of one man and
one instrument, yet is always pushing for an even fuller folk rock
sound. His guitar work is layered and complex drawing influences from,
rock, blues, country, bluegrass and folk. Imagine Bruce Springsteen,
Mark Knopfler, Norman Blake and Jerry Garcia all channeled into one
guitar. The result is a rich foundation for songs with vivid scenes,
lingering stories and unforgettable lyrics.

=95 10P Irish Wolfhounds (celtic/folk)
The Irish Wolfhounds play a fun filled mix of Irish and Scottish
music. Dance tunes and ballads flow freely through out the night as
the hounds pursue an evening of good fun and craic for all.

Our Story: James and Bruce met down at Horniblows, a local Tavern in
Raleigh, NC, at the Monday night open jam. Bruce and James almost
immediately began collaborating going equally between Irish, Scottish,
Rock and Roll and Blues.

Along the way, James started playing down at the Tir Na Nog Irish
session, and met Allen there. The two hit it off immediately, both
enjoying the great craic found in playing together. Many a time they
found themselves starting to play in the afternoon, and not stopping
till late into the night.

At some point the three combined forces, and the Irish Wolfhounds were
born.

Sunday, December 12

=95 5P Duke String School
The Duke String School Jazz Ensemble consists of a group of talented
young violinists, cellists, and bassists. Led by guitarist Daniel
Raimi, the group will perform a number of classic jazz tunes,
showcasing their ability to perform in styles ranging from swing to
bebop. This performance will include pieces by jazz greats Duke
Ellington, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, and a number of other jazz
"standards." Please come and support these great young artists!

=95 7:30P Sunday Night Jazz Series
The JazzTones (jazz/blues/swing)
The JazzTones sextet plays mainstream jazz in the styles of the 50's
and 60's. Behind the sultry vocals of Alice Brower, the Jazztones
cover tunes ranging from standards, to swing, blues, latin and bebop.
It's members come from the greater Hillsborough, North Carolina area.

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

  • Free Music, Great Food! The Broad Street Cafe, BSC, 12/06/2010