ch-scene - [Internationalist] Events at Internationalist (11/16-11/30)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Events at Internationalist (11/16-11/30)
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 16:17:04 -0500

Hello Everyone! Here's a look at what's going on at Internationalist Books in the next couple of weeks!

Events at I-Books:

WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 17 @ 7:00pm
NOVEMBER POLITICAL PRISONER LETTER WRITING NIGHT
Come join us to write letters to political prisoners whose birthdays fall during the months of November and December. It's an easy way to let these people know they aren't forgotten. These men and women fought for many of the freedoms we take for granted today. For more information check out www.prisonbooks.info

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 19 @ 7:00pm
DAVID CANTOR "THIS LAND IS THEIR LAND"
Come join us for a discussion with David Cantor on land use and animals. Presented by Internationalist Books and Croatan Earth First!

Here is what we will be talking about:
"Humans, among Earth?s newest species, act like Earth?s only inhabitants. The problem doesn?t start with suburban sprawl, factory farming, and rainforest destruction, devastating as their impacts are on humans and other animals. For many thousands of years, humans have lived apart from their original habitat and way of life ? in ever-increasing numbers. Impacts are everywhere, always, but barely recognized. Big human problems ? disease, war, poverty, hunger, animal use, global warming, and other ecosystem disruption ? link to existing land-use policy and lack of needed policy. Consider this unique perspective, thoroughly researched by a long-time writer, advocate and educator ? leave with a new concept of where you?ve been and where you?re going."

TUESDAY NOVEMBER 23 @ 7:00pm
QUEER NEGATION TOUR

It has been 20 years since the publication "Queers Read This" inspired a movement of queers supporting and fighting for life, stolen by the AIDS epidemic. 3 years ago a group named Bash Back emerged out of the failures of the gay and lesbian rights movement only to fall apart in the 3rd year of existence. The discussion being lead by the Queer Negation Tour will be how to keep the polemics given to us by Bash Back and Act-Up alive. And the consequences of basing movements off of a potential Future.

Catastrophe is over. The end has come and past. The Queer Negation tour will be tracing 2 lines of thought on the topic of the post-end. One will be elaborating queer action/theory in a post-end world. The other; also starting from the position of the post end; will discuss the negative feminisms that will emerge in life after death. Through a combination of theory, poetry, multi-media/perfomance art, and skillshares, we will discuss how to live now that death has passed us."

Presented by Ariel A. (Gender Mutiny), Heather T. (Filth and Glitter, public sex association), and Zachary G. (local hero)

FRIDAY NOVEMBER 26 3:00-6:00pm
BUY NOTHING DAY @ THE INTERNATIONALIST!

In response to the consumer-driven post-Thanksgiving shop-ocolypse known as Black Friday, Internationalist Books will open its doors to those who would like to BUY NOTHING! We will be having skill shares, arts and crafts, board games, and even some snacks! Come by with any projects you are working on or with any skills you would like to share with others in a comfortable relaxed setting. Don't contend with the shopping mob, come have a fun day at I-Books making and learning things for free :)

Heads-up on some Events in the Community:

TONIGHT TUESDAY NOVEMBER 16 @ 6pm
Triangle Community Meeting in Response to FBI Raids on Antiwar Activists

On Tuesday evening there will be an important meeting at the Durham Public
Library in response to the Sept. 24 FBI raids on antiwar activists across
the country. Community meetings have been taking place across the country
and they are an important demonstration of unity and solidarity with those
facing repression from the government. We have an excellent program lined up
and following the lead story of the Independent this week (http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/why-is-the-fbi-interested-in-the-anti-war-movement/Content?oid=1786829)

MONDAY NOVEMBER 22 @6:30pm
Students and Workers United for a Better Carolina
Hamilton 100, UNC-Ch campus

Come join students, workers, and community members to learn about UNC-CH's history of worker struggles on campus and to discuss how students can support worker rights on our campus today.

Explore how Lenoir employees, with the help of UNC students, went on strike in the 1960s and successfully increased their wages and the wages of 5,000 other state employees. Hear first hand accounts of how UNC-CH housekeepers sued the University in the 1990s on issues of discrimination and won pay raises and University recognition of their union. Finally, learn about worker struggles that are happening on our campus today and talk with other students, campus workers, and community members about how students can help support these struggles.

Campus workers are what makes our university great. For our university community to move forward towards a more just and equal Carolina, we must first learn where we have been. Come be a part of the movement!

Visit www.internationalistbooks.org for more information on these and other events!

As always, thanks for tuning in! I hope you can make it out to some events here! And if there's ever any event you would like to see happen at the store then I'm just an email or a phone call away! Feel free to let me know about events in town that you think other members would like to know about, too!

With that, I'm OUT!
Laurin@IBooks
Outreach Coordinator

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: