ch-scene - Stuff to Do, week of October 29, 2010

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, week of October 29, 2010
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 23:00:52 -0400

Friday, October 29
Secret Boyfriend (http://www.myspace.com/scrtboyfriend)
Andrew Weathers
Khristian Weeks
Asimina Chremos (http://asiminachremos.com/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, October 29
Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter (http://www.jessesykes.com)
Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit (http://www.jasonisbell.com/)
The Casbah, Durham

Friday, October 29
Mosadi Music (http://www.mosadimusic.com/)
Greg Humphreys
The Beast
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Friday, October 29
Eric Roehrig (http://www.eriechoir.com)
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
Zeke Graves
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release for the brilliant new Le Weekend CD DBLSCRT. There's an excellent article about the album, and its somewhat strange genesis, in this week's Independent. http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/le-weekends-dblscrt-tries-its-songs-both-ways/Content?oid=1754012

One thing that isn't mentioned is the extent to which DBLSCRT feels like a long-lost relative of the never-released Bicentennial Quarters album. Coincidentally enough, ex-Quarters Shannon Morrow and Chris Eubank both appear on DBLSCRT, as part of a huge cadre of performers Le Weekend assembled to record the remarkable string & horn arrangements on the album. (and many of whom will be joining the band tonight to play the record in its entirety)

I drove to Atlanta on Wednesday, and back again on Thursday, and DBLSCRT got some heavy spins along the way. It's quite simply an outstanding achievement.

Friday, October 29
The Howlies (http://www.myspace.com/thehowlies)
Bitter Resolve (http://www.myspace.com/bitterresolve)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, October 29
Hex Machine (http://www.myspace.com/hexmachine)
Stripmines
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, October 29
Leslie (http://www.myspace.com/leslierock)
Corvette Summer
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, October 30
Blonde Redhead (http://www.blonde-redhead.com/)
Pantha Du Prince
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, October 30
Auxiliary House (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/auxhouse.html)
Shithorse
King Kingfisher and His Royal White Pages
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is a reunion for the old Trekky Records house-band, Auxiliary House. There have been many adorable bands on Trekky over the years, but my favorite Trekky release EVAR was definitely the Aux House EP "Play More Games," so I'm psyched to see them re-form, if only for one night.

It's also a halloween party and a Nightlight benefit. Wear a costume!

Saturday, October 30
Thee Dirtybeats (http://www.myspace.com/ampsdofurnisharoom)
Phatlynx
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is a fifth-anniversary celebration for "Who's Got the Cuckoo?" the weekly WXDU garage-rock show.

Saturday, October 30
Straight 8s (http://www.straight8s.com)
The Tremors (http://www.tremorsrockabilly.com/)
Atomic Mosquitos (http://www.myspace.com/atomicmosquitos)
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, October 30
Animal Alphabet
Crystal Bright and the Silver Hands (http://www.crystalbrightandthesilverhands.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, October 30
D-Town Brass
Brand New Life (http://www.myspace.com/thebrandnewlife)
The Pinhook, Durham

The Brand New Life are from between here & the Triad, and they play groove-focused jazz with a heavy emphasis on world percussion styles (one song feels latin, the next middle eastern). Their debut album has a couple of pretty good extended jams on it, but I very nearly didn't get to hear them, because the cover art is so utterly wretched that I couldn't bring myself to listen to the thing (until today, when I was trapped in the car on I-85 for 6 hours).

D-Town Brass are from Durham, naturally, and they rule.

Saturday, October 30
The Howlies (http://www.myspace.com/thehowlies)
The Charming Youngsters (http://www.myspace.com/thecharmingyoungsters)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, October 30
Clawform
Janzig (http://www.facebook.com/janzigxo)
Corpse War (http://www.myspace.com/edwardteachmetal)
Reservoir, Carrboro

What could be spookier than black-metal banjo music? Try Janzig, the all-woman Danzig cover band. I hope hope hope they've each got a big economy-size box of cat litter when they take the stage.

Sunday, October 31
Filthybird (http://www.myspace.com/filthybird)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Filthybird have just released their second album, "Songs for Other People," so you can count on a bunch of new, well-honed material. 4:00 p.m. at 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, October 31
Boo-Kulele IV
The Pinhook, Durham

It's the annual ukelele celebration, courtesy of High Strung music. 6:00 p.m.

Sunday, October 31
Caribou (http://www.caribou.fm)
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

You probably thought that Veelee's debut EP, "Three Sides," was pretty catchy, and that they showed some promise. But I'm guessing you never thought their new album "Future Sight" would be the profound leap forward that it has turned out to be.

Sunday, October 31
The Fresh and Onlys (http://www.thefreshandonlys.com/)
The Ill Family (http://www.myspace.com/theillfamily)
Royal Baths (http://www.myspace.com/baths)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, October 31
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Bitter Resolve (http://www.myspace.com/bitterresolve)
Motorco Music Hall, Durham

Sunday, October 31
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Brett Harris
Bright Young Things
The Tomahawks (http://www.myspace.com/jeffcrawfordmusic)
The Spring Collection
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This meeting of the Badfinger Appreciation Society will now be called to order . . .

Monday, November 1
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Skeleton$ (http://www.myspace.com/skeletonsandthegirlfacedboys)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

You're going to be up all night buzzing on leftover candy anyway. And Cantwell Gomez and Jordan are pretty much the perfect band for that.

Monday, November 1
Vetiver (http://www.vetiverse.com)
Twelve Thousand Armies (http://www.myspace.com/12000armies)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, November 2
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Ghastly City Sleep (http://www.myspace.com/ghastlycitysleep)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Vote for Maple Stave!

Tuesday, November 2
White Rabbits (http://www.myspace.com/whiterabbits)
U.S. Royalty
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------
the alt.music.chapel-hill guide to the triangle