ch-scene - Live (Free) Music in Durham!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Live (Free) Music in Durham!
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 05:08:33 -0700 (PDT)

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

As always, live links to bands and other info here:
http://www.thebroadstreetcafe.com/events.html

Wednesday, September 8
=95 8P Open Mic Night

Thursday, September 9
=95 8P Magus (rock/psych/classic rock)
=9510P Now You See Them (pop/indie/folk)

Friday, September 10
=95 8P Pagan Hellcats (alt/country/americana)CD Release Party
=9510P Three Days in Vegas (alt rock)

Saturday, September 11
=958P Griffanzo
=9510P stephaniesid (indie/pop/rock)
=9511P The Proclivities (indie/folk rock/happy harcore)

Sunday, September 12 - Sunday Night Jazz Series
=95 7:30P The JazzTones (jazz/blues/swing)

---DETAILS---

Wednesday, September 8
=95 8P Open Mic Night
Open Mic is arranged to enable anyone to perform, so all you have to
do is turn up early and get your name down to perform. Originals and
cover music of every style and genre are welcome! Open mic is a great
way to practice your art and can also can be a proving ground for new
talent and material. The audience consists of singers, poets,
songwriters and music lovers so the atmosphere should be warm and
encouraging for everybody.

Thursday, September 9
=95 8P Magus (rock/psych/classic rock)
Magus (a.k.a. Trent Boswell) is a sentient, extra-planar being of
indeterminate origin. Shapeshifting and bizarre, it is best not to
look directly at it, or to attempt a mind meld. The most advisable
course of action, if confronted with this entity is to stand idly by
and listen to the strange and soothing sounds it makes. The protocol
is to applaud at the conclusion of these exhibitions and to purchase
small plastic discs from it, which it refers to as CDs. It becomes
hostile when offerings of standard issue currency are not promptly
placed in the box marked TIPS.

=9510P Now You See Them (pop/indie/folk)
Now You See Them is a super-fun acoustic indie folk/pop trio dedicated
to delivering a great time. Appealing to virtually all audiences
through beautiful harmonies, slow burning lyrics, and non traditional
instruments, NYST combines thoughtfully ironic originals alongside
carefully selected covers making their shows a not-to-be-missed breath
of fresh air.

Friday, September 10
=95 8P Pagan Hellcats (alt/country/americana)CD Release Party
"...this quartet relies on the basics - well-written songs, beguiling,
hook-laden arrangements and fine vocals. Guitarists Dave Rutter and
Diane Rodelli trade songs and lead vocals, harmonizing over Americana
that ranges from folk-blues to ragged barroom rock....songcraft more
enduring than colorful dress-up." - Chris Parker/The Independent

=9510P Three Days in Vegas (alt rock)
"Original music mixed from classic draughts and fresh springs, Three
Days in Vegas is a refreshing quaff of delicious pop " Deep Friar,
Myspace Review

"Three Days in Vegas borrow heavily from UK pop-rock of the mid-'80s
-- Echo & the Bunnymen and U2 in particular to create scenes of
cinematic grandeur. " -Independent Weekly

"wow. Now I have to confess I never listened to you guys B4, You are
all grown up and I am a kid again when I listen...it is familiar
sounding and I loved it...the best of the 80s and my youth..."
Catherine Aravosis - FREE THE NOISE

"I think you sound like The Church." Blue Marble Beat - My Space

"pleasantly surprised against the lurking shadows of doubt that filled
my initially reflexive expectations. Yet still, I would listen and
stand cold in my tracks or dive headlong through the clouds of
familiar lost soundscapes of comfort and beauty." David Dark - My
Space

Saturday, September 11
=958P Griffanzo
Robert Griffin, alias Griffanzo, has been performing on piano and
vocals in triangle for over 30 years. With Squirrel Nut Zippers, Taz
Halloween, Ray Codrington and Stu Cole in the mix of a long list of
the areas best musicians, griffanzo has covered a lot of ground
musically as well as geographically. The recent cd, Ain't My Kinda
Strange by the artist Griffanzo has just been released and includes
drummer Frank Worrell, bassist Don Gladstone, as well as Codrington,
Halloween and Carter Minor. Adding more than the usual jazz originals,
the griffanzo cd includes severals songs defying catagory, including
Girl #0024 (the video is on youtube under griffanzo), Fred was Here
and Katrina. All the cd info, bio, song clips and blogs are on
griffanzo.com.

After a busy year touring with the Zippers and producing a cd the
performing schedule is not up to it's usual busy standard. Expect that
to change! Schedule will be posted on the site as well and I hope to
carry some more dates at Broad Street Cafe in a variety of
incarnations.

www.griffanzo.com and/or www.robertgriffin.com

=9510P stephaniesid (indie/pop/rock)
"Although generally referred to as an indie-pop band, their sound is
actually far more complex and compelling than that genre label
implies. Starting off as a darkly bittersweet piano-bar duo (with
Chuck Lichtenberger playing piano and Stephanie Morgan singing), the
group has since expanded to a full band and become one of the most
interesting, experimental and creatively edgy acts.... and [they
support] the local scene through efforts like the POPAsheville music
festival (formerly known as IdFest). [They] may be one of the defining
Asheville-based music acts of this era."--Steve Shanafelt, Mountain
Xpress
Stephaniesid is indie pop revelry! The foundation is Stephanie
(lead vox, guitar, synth) and Chuck (keys, bass pedals, backing vox),
and a drummer (currently the fabulous Tim Haney), and sometimes we're
able to bring Matthew on vibraphone and Jacob and Justin on horns, or
singers, or other folks we like to make music with. We always play
with heart and lust and gusto, because there's no point in doing
anything else. We care about people and things. We often brood about
them. But not for terribly long, as there is no gain in taking the
human condition too seriously. The music, like life itself, is
striving, searching, inconclusive, and (hopefully) beautiful.
We have chosen to live in the best city... Asheville, NC, in the
mountains. And they've voted us "best indie band" here, 3 years in a
row! People who live elsewhere and read about us are apt to think
we've got banjos on our knees. Though Steph wishes she knew how to
play a banjo, we are happy that people are slowly beginning to look
around obvious identifiers.

=9511P The Proclivities (indie/folk rock/happy harcore)
Matt Douglas, the songwriter and frontman for The Proclivities, is a
music school trained jazz saxophone and woodwinds player that strayed
from the jazz pack and into the world of self-indulgent singer/
songwriters. After graduating from NYU, Matt wandered off to Central
Europe on a Fulbright Scholarship to study the influence of
traditional folk music on contemporary improvised music in Budapest,
Hungary. It was at that time that Matt started writing kick-ass rock
songs. After two years of escapism, Matt headed to Raleigh, NC where
he hooked up with guitar great Chris Boerner (Mosadi Music), bassist
Nic Slaton and drummer Matt McCaughan (Portastatic, The Rosebuds).
They released their first album, "Predispositions", in July of 2006 to
rave reviews. In 2007, The Proclivities recorded a soundtrack for an
independent film called "Coney Island" (Blackwater Films), and in June
of 2008 they released their masterpiece =93Handguns & Dancing Shoes.=94
The Proclivities have shared the stage with Josh Ritter, Bobby Bare
Jr., The Old Ceremony, Hammer No More The Fingers, Anton Sword, Laura
Cortese, and many more. Matt can be heard as a guest artist on Josh
Ritter=92s =93The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter=94 (Sony), Mark
Erelli=92s new album (Signature Sounds), and on Erin McKeown=92s upcoming
release.

Sunday, September 12 - Sunday Night Jazz Series
=95 7:30P The JazzTones (jazz/blues/swing)
The JazzTones sextet plays mainstream jazz in the styles of the 50's
and 60's. Behind the sultry vocals of Alice Brower, the Jazztones
cover tunes ranging from standards, to swing, blues, latin and bebop.
It's members come from the greater Hillsborough, North Carolina area.

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

  • Live (Free) Music in Durham!, BSC, 09/07/2010