ch-scene - Awesome Lineup at BSC This Week!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Awesome Lineup at BSC This Week!
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 04:23:38 -0700 (PDT)

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

Wednesday, August 25
=95 8P Open Mic Night

Thursday, August 26
=95 8P Ashley Hopkins (acoustic)

Friday, August 27
=95 8P West Glen (folk/country/jazz)
=9510P Paul Edelman (folk/soul/country)

Saturday, August 28
=95 8P Paul Daniel (folk rock/acoustic)
=9510P The Wusses

Sunday, August 29
=95 7:30P A fundraiser for MIKE O=92FOGHLUDHA for Superior Court Judge
featuring STELLA!

---DETAILS---
Wednesday, August 25
=95 8P Open Mic Night
Open Mic is arranged to enable anyone to perform, so all you have to
do is turn up early and get your name down to perform. Originals and
cover music of every style and genre are welcome! Open mic is a great
way to practice your art and can also can be a proving ground for new
talent and material. The audience consists of singers, poets,
songwriters and music lovers so the atmosphere should be warm and
encouraging for everybody.

Thursday, August 26
=95 8P Ashley Hopkins (acoustic)

Friday, August 27
=95 8P West Glen (folk/country/jazz)
These four neighbors plus an import from Efland, with many years of
combined musical experience, share more than property lines and pride
in a sense of place. WestGlen is an eclectic acoustic music ensemble
with a dash of folk, alternative country, old-time, and rock & roll
with vocal harmonies sweeter than mountain laurel and string licks
hotter than mom=92s buttermilk biscuits.

Amy Brannock, vocals, autoharp, dulcimer
Roger Cook, bass, guitar, mandolin
Scott Frey, mandolin, guitar, resonator, bass
Lori Oshrain, percussion, vocals, harmonica, mandolin
David Roskin, guitar

=9510P Paul Edelman (folk/soul/country)
Almost born on the airplane from Columbus, Ohio, where his family
lived, to Philadelphia, because his mom, a native of Philly, only
trusted one doctor. Then the infant Edelman was flown right back to
Columbus. "I was a very serious kid, and I think that's why. That's a
lot of stress for a baby." His best friend in Columbus was a weeping
willow tree. From there Paul's family moved to the north shore of Long
Island, one of the natural habitats to the privileged dirtbag." There
was a lot of money in that town, we stood out like sore thumbs." His
family was always musical. Paul's uncle narrowly avoided success when
he refused to sell one of his songs to Joe Cocker." Everyone in the
family had talent, my mom had a beautiful voice."
Paul spent a year at Carnegie Mellon in Pittsburgh before settling
into Philly. Paul spent years hosting open mics all through town,
meeting folks and drawing influence from his peers. " My strongest
asset is the ability to surround myself with people that are better
than me." Eventually, Paul began connecting with some serious players
with real ambition and talent. Paul found himself being a sought after
player in town. "One of my first bandmates insists that I invented the
term Grunge as a musical genre." He learned how to give other
songwriters what their songs needed, and in so doing, was learning how
to craft his own music with unique vision.
Paul was a Boxcar, a Butcher Holler Boy and lead guitar for Naked
Omaha, three of the hottest tickets in town, simultaneously. It was no
surprise then when Paul broke out on his own with the Jangling
Sparrows, he was selling out the World Cafe and sharing bills with
James McMurtry, Robert Earl Keen and Langhorn Slim.
Since relocating to the Blue Ridge Mountains The Jangling Sparrow's
heavy hitting songwriting has already been met with an outstanding
reception at some of the most respected venues in the area and radio
in the region. Tough and tender, from a holler to a whisper. from
timeless, original, Soul, Folk and Country to ferocious twang rock.

Paul has also shared stages with:
The Drive By Truckers, Neko Case, Scott Miller, Big Sandy and his
Flyrite Boys, Slim Cessna, Marah, The Bottlerockets, The Sadies, and
if you include stage crashing, Sarah Mclaughlin, Chrissie Hind, Cheryl
Crow and the Dixie Chicks.

"If you=92re a fan of solid alt-country music, you don=92t want to miss
Paul Edelman=92s performance. Edelman has a sound that calls to mind
some of the best of the genre, but what really sets him apart is his
songwriting." Carla Nelson-The Corner News, Auburn, AL

"Edelman makes short work of simple but effective lyrics, driving
percussion, searing guitars and hooky melodies....Hints of Springsteen
and Mellencamp are balanced with Edelman=92s original sound; an
imperfect but comfortable voice and addictive narrative songs" Alli
Marshal-Mountain Xpress

Saturday, August 28
=95 8P Paul Daniel (folk rock/acoustic)
Paul Daniel is a powerful singer/songwriter and guitarist from
Raleigh, North Carolina. Paul thrives on the raw purity of one man and
one instrument, yet is always pushing for an even fuller folk rock
sound. His guitar work is layered and complex drawing influences from,
rock, blues, country, bluegrass and folk. Imagine Bruce Springsteen,
Mark Knopfler, Norman Blake and Jerry Garcia all channeled into one
guitar. The result is a rich foundation for songs with vivid scenes,
lingering stories and unforgettable lyrics.

=9510P The Wusses
One speaks of the majesty of the Wusses--in hushed, reverent tones--
the same way one speaks of someone of great power and prestige--like
members of the school board or a guy who owns his own tux. In fact,
one of the central problems of language is that there is no better way
to describe the Wusses than to just go outside at night, lift your
face to the moon and whisper "Wusses" over and over.
The group formed out of several popular regional acts--the Sailing
Crabs, Shag-o-phelia, Thee Inchworm-Del-Tone-Phonics--in the late to
mid sixties or seventies.
Once the band was assembled, they began gigging around the Northern
and Southern Carolina coasts. And, as we and our grandchildren know,
they began writing hit after hit. So many hits, in fact, at one point
esteemed national music magazines of the region began wondering if
they were actually songs that were already hits that other people
wrote and the Wusses were perhaps just playing them. The article "Hit-
morrhage" speculated that perhaps--since no regular people could churn
out so many fine hits--that the Wusses were actually multi-dimensional
beings who's multi-point existence allowed them to bring in hit songs
from other worlds. Of course, that person is dead now.
Yes, these men are heroes of our time and stopped pain, famine,
suffering and the loss of blood and babies to the ocean. Love them,
why don't you?

Sunday, August 29
=95 7:30P A fundraiser for MIKE O=92FOGHLUDHA for Superior Court Judge
featuring STELLA! $15 Cover
Come experience the rich harmonies and world-ranging tunes of Stella,
and support Mike O=92Foghludha=92s candidacy for Durham Superior Court
Judge.

Stella is seven: Seven NC women, seven voices, seven friends with
wildly diverse musical passions. Since 2000, Stella has performed at
venues including the NC Museum of Art, Centerfest, LEAF, Artsplosure
and Festival for the Eno. Stella sings a cappella, with occasional
adornment by stand-up bass. Whether singing doo-wop, pop, gospel,
Celtic or traditional/folk, Stella performs with passion and
precision. Known for =93inventive arrangements=94 and =93gorgeous
harmonies,=94 (Jack Bernhardt, News & Observer) Stella offers messages
of strength, humor, and a little bit of whimsy.

Mike O=92Foghludha has practiced law for more than 30 years, and has
earned the reputation of being an excellent, effective, intelligent
and fair-minded attorney who consistently acts with integrity and
respect toward others. Mike is running for judge because he loves
Durham and wants to insure that our justice system is the fairest and
the strongest it can be. The Superior Court judge in any given case is
critically important. Come out to this great event, meet Mike and
support the candidacy of someone who will strengthen the integrity of
Durham=92s judicial system.

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

  • Awesome Lineup at BSC This Week!, BSC, 08/24/2010