ch-scene - stuff to do, week of August 18, 2010

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ross Grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of August 18, 2010
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:58:56 -0400

Wednesday, August 18
Old Bricks
Warpaint (http://www.warpaintwarpaint.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Old Bricks make fragile, slightly desperate-sounding indie-folk with two voices, guitar & drums.

Thursday, August 19
Lou Barlow (http://www.loobiecore.com/)
Wye Oak (http://www.myspace.com/wyeoak)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, August 19
Dexter Romweber and the New Romans (http://www.myspace.com/dexterromweber)
The Station, Carrboro

The New Romans are Dex Romweber's Large Band.

Thursday, August 19
The Tomahawks (http://www.myspace.com/jeffcrawfordmusic)
The Small Ponds
Jon Lindsay
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, August 19
Inspector 22
Hume (http://www.myspace.com/humesongs)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 19
Tom Maxwell (http://www.tommaxwell.com)
Robert Sledge and the Flashlight Assembly
The Numbers (http://www.myspace.com/snuzz)
The Pinhook, Durham

The Numbers is a new band put together by Greensboro songwriter/local legend Britt Harper Uzzell, aka Snuzz.

Friday, August 20
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Black Skies (http://blackskies.us/)
Death Came Down the Mountain (http://www.myspace.com/deathcamedownthemountain)
HOG
Reservoir, Carrboro

This is night one of a weekend-long festival called Ragnarok. No, I don't know what's up with heavy music & Vikings around here, but it's a damn good lineup (and Saturday night's just as good or better). Here's tonight:

7:30 Blix
8:30 Monsonia
9:30 Death Came Down the Mountain
10:30 HOG
11:30 Black Skies
12:30 Colossus

Friday, August 20
The White Cascade (http://www.myspace.com/thewhitecascade)
Free Electric State (http://www.myspace.com/freeelectricstate)
The Sky Drops (http://www.myspace.com/theskydrops)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, August 20
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
The Independents
Bad Idea
DIVEbar, Raleigh

Friday, August 20
Jack the Radio (http://www.purevolume.com/jacktheradio)
Hume (http://www.myspace.com/humesongs)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, August 21
Ruscha (http://www.myspace.com/ruscha)
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Systems
Reservoir, Carrboro

This is night two of Ragnarok. Unlike the actual Ragnarok, the world-ending Viking battle at the end of time, this one is only a two-nighter, so don't be tardy. The lineup:

7:30 Make
8:30 In the Year of the Pig
9:30 Systems
10:30 Ruscha
11:30 The Curtains of Night
12:30 Caltrop

Saturday, August 21
Filthybird (http://www.myspace.com/filthybird)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Anna Bullard (http://www.myspace.com/annabullard)
The Pinhook, Durham

Saturday, August 21
American Aquarium (http://www.americanaquarium.com/)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Paleface
Magic Mike
Ponderosa
Pour House, Raleigh

Saturday, August 21
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Saturday, August 21
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Wild Wild Geese (http://www.myspace.com/wildwildgeesemusic)
Shithorse
Shortstack
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, August 21
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
Wembley (http://www.myspace.com/wembleystadium)
Electric Owls (http://www.myspace.com/electricowls)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Electric Owls is Andy Herod's current band -- Andy cofounded a band called the Comas, so so so long ago, along with John Harrison of North Elementary. One of them then went on to date a bona-fide celebrity, move to New York, and write an album about their breakup. The other one, so far as I know, did not.

Sunday, August 22
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Given that the Old Ceremony have 67 members, including 18 vibraphonists, I'm not sure why I agreed to book them into the radio station. We only have room for at most 13 sets of vibes.

Nevertheless, we'll do what we can, and they're such consummate professionals that I'm sure it'll work out fine. 4:00 p.m. at 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, August 22
Tea & Tempests (http://www.myspace.com/teatempests)
Run On Sentence (http://www.myspace.com/runonsentencemusic)
The Pinhook, Durham

Sunday shows at the Pinhook typically start a good bit earlier than normal rockshows.

Sunday, August 22
Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears (http://www.blackjoelewis.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of August 18, 2010, Ross Grady, 08/17/2010