ch-scene - Big Al Hall, Killer Filler, KinKsmen, Gasolinestove, Harvey D.

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Big Al Hall, Killer Filler, KinKsmen, Gasolinestove, Harvey D.
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 07:19:55 -0700 (PDT)

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

Wednesday, August 11
=95 8P Open Mic Night

Thursday, August 12
=95 8P Michael Holland (soul/country/blues)
=95 10P Big Al Hall and The Marching Rams (roots/americana/country)

Friday, August 13
=95 8P Spencer Sholes (alt/folk rock/funk)
=95 10P Killer Filler/The KinKsmen/The Venables
Killer Filler (surf/soul/rock)
The KinKsmen (rock/pop/r&b)
The Venables (rock/powerpop/indie)

Saturday, August 14
=95 8P Gasolinestove (americans/roots/folk rock)
=95 10P Harvey Dalton Arnold Blues Band (blues/roots/southern rock) - $7
Cover

Sunday, August 15 - Sunday Night Jazz Series
=95 7:30P Sawyer-Goldberg Jazz Band

---DETAILS---
Wednesday, August 11
=95 8P Open Mic Night
Open Mic is arranged to enable anyone to perform, so all you have to
do is turn up early and get your name down to perform. Originals and
cover music of every style and genre are welcome! Open mic is a great
way to practice your art and can also can be a proving ground for new
talent and material. The audience consists of singers, poets,
songwriters and music lovers so the atmosphere should be warm and
encouraging for everybody.

Thursday, August 12
=95 8P Michael Holland (soul/country/blues)
Michael Holland, originally from Monroe, North Carolina, wrote songs
for, sang, and played guitar in a North Carolina band called
Jennyanykind from 1992-2003. They released about 8 or so records on
No. 6, Elektra, Yep Roc, and MoRisen. They had their share of success
and failure. They never looked back.

=95 10P Big Al Hall and The Marching Rams (roots/americana/country)
Alex Hall, or Big Al, was raised and educated in the bread basket of
traditional old time and string band music. The border between western
Virginia and North Carolina is home to the oldest and most popular
fiddle conventions and traditional music festivals in America. It was
at these festivals he learned the traditional songs and tunes handed
down through the generations. Here, also, he found other like-minded
young people who saw the raw beauty in the ancient music. Alex quickly
saw and felt a likeness between the energy of the Alt-rock and punk
music popular at the time and the rowdy moods of the old time string
bands. This connection is one that seemed far-fetched then but one
that many make today. Shortly after college, Alex started his first
old time bands. These projects help to launch the musical career of
many of the most popular artists in the genre. Finding his way to
Nashville he began to focus on songwriting. After Nashville, Alex made
his way to Wilmington, NC. It was here that he teamed up with local
rockers Kevin and Lincoln and began to combine modern sounds with old.
After adding their friend Jones on upright bass they started recording
Alex=92s original material as well as new takes on traditional songs.
The band has two new records coming out in 2010. Big Al Hall has
gathered a devout fan base with his high energy shows and earnest
songwriting. When the band plays the acoustic jammers, metal and punk
rockers and music lovers young and old all turn out to dance, clap and
sing along with Big Al Hall.

Friday, August 13
=95 8P Spencer Sholes (alt/folk rock/funk)
Lifelong musician, songwriter. Specializing in guitar and vocals.
Playing original music wherever I can get in the door.

=95 10P Killer Filler/The KinKsmen/The Venables
Killer Filler (surf/soul/rock)
Killer Filler is the creation of keyboardist, guitarist, and
songwriter Chris "Crispy" Bess -- an all-instrumental five-piece
outfit to meld his twin penchants for 1960s Memphis soul and
California surf music. Funk, twang, jazz, lounge and swing flavor
Crispy's songwriting as well as the B-side nuggets that he handpicks
to arrange and cover. The Ventures, The Shadows, Booker T. and the
MGs, and The Champs and The Meters are all channeled by the band in
live sets.
Crispy commands the Hammond B-3 and a six-string taboot while
guitarists Bryon Settle and Pete Gamble join on dual stratocasters,
Bryon's drop-jaw phrasing framed by Pete's mind-altering colors.
Bassist Rusty Miller lays rhythm like a slab with the versatile and
dynamic Mark Murphy on drums.

The KinKsmen (rock/pop/r&b)
Four likely lads who have devoured the musings of all things Davies,
Quaife & Avory and thusly regurgitate said musical works in the style
of their forebears. Reverently touching on all eras of the Muswell
Hill foursome (or fivesome), The Kinksmen are all veterans of the beat-
pop teen combo scene and therefore can mimic the styles of other beat
squads such as The Fourmost, The Pacemakers, The Searchers and others,
but prefer to only touch upon the output of the ensemble formerly
known as The Ravens. Through their very hip-shaking performances, The
Kinksmen will transport you to a place known only to the hippest few
as KINKDOM. Kinkdom is a land populated exclusively by moderns who
wear shoulder-length hair which droops, boots, guitars who twang, and
baby doll eyes which turn you on and on and on. Inhabitants of this
land have to go dancing every night except Monday. Mondays they are
all busy repairing their discotheques. The national heroes of this
land are named Pete, Ray, Mick, and Dave. This land's national anthems
are played by this very thumping, very thousand watt combo. It is a
land entirely free from waltzes, acne, grinds, anemia, eggplant,
curfews, alarm clocks, violins, loneliness, diets, make-up exams,
squares, callouses, and losers. It is a land so wild, so fantastic, so
far out that about it even Rand is scared to tell McNally.

The Venables (rock/powerpop/indie)

Saturday, August 14
=95 8P Gasolinestove (americans/roots/folk rock)
With some former members of Memphis the Band, this new look at Scott
Morgan's music takes a different approach. Upright Bass, piano,
accordian, acoustic guitar and percussion as well as harmonies make up
a new sound.

=95 10P Harvey Dalton Arnold Blues Band (blues/roots/southern rock) - $7
Cover
Hi, I am Harvey Dalton Arnold, my small claim to fame is that I was
bassist for the southern rock group "the Outlaws" from 1976-80, with a
couple of gold records (one for each kid). The blues is my true
passion and was before and after that group. I=92ve recently dusted off
the 8 track and am having a ball recording and looking forward to
posting some tunes here. I=92m playing around the Triangle area of NC as
well as always gigging with my band of old friends in Wilmington, NC
"the Polar Bear Blues Band". I send a huge Thank You to all the
Outlaws fans who remember and I also look to make new friends. Be sure
to check out the lead vocals at: outlaws/houston,tx 1977
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DLWUplnEsuo My son Derek is one of my
"friends" so check out his classical compositions- awesome- and my
daughter, Sara, is a senior at UNC-CH - go heels! I am a very blessed
and grateful man, having survived head and neck cancer diagnosed in
2005; I am thankful for every day, as we all should be. My health is
now great and I=92d be glad to help or talk to anyone who is
experiencing a similar situation. I now enjoy my "day" career working
with developmentally disabled adults and teens; I=92ve had extensive
training from the years with my musician friends, LOL. It is the most
positive experience of my life. Let=92s have some fun- hope to hear from
you- Harvey HEY HEY HEY check out my new Harvey Dalton Arnold Blues
Band- I've been so lucky to have met some killer musicians here in
Alamance County, NC - Great players, natural feel, and downright good
people: Kim Shomaker- Guitar, Tim Carey- Drums, Darrell Young- Bass =85
with yours truly singing and chasing guitar. I think we've got
something here!

Sunday, August 15 - Sunday Night Jazz Series
=95 7:30P Sawyer-Goldberg Jazz Band
"Our style is highly improvisational, with an emphasis on interplay &
polyphony. The music is our passion & we delight in sharing it with
listeners."

Lou Sawyer& Pete Goldberg have been performing jazz together since
1980. Their repertoire is focused on mainstream jazz classics,
standards, & originals.

The current Sawyer-Goldberg jazz group, which was formed in 1993,
includes:
Susan Cohen - vocals
Roger Cook - electric & acoustic bass
Pete Goldberg - guitar
Lou Sawyer - alto, tenor & soprano sax
David Shore - drums

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

  • Big Al Hall, Killer Filler, KinKsmen, Gasolinestove, Harvey D., BSC, 08/09/2010