ch-scene - [Internationalist] Awesome August Events!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Awesome August Events!
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 11:19:36 -0400

Y'all,

We've got some great events going on in the next few weeks at
Internationalist Books! Check them out below!

-John
Internationalist Bookstore and Community Center
405 W. Franklin St, Chapel Hill NC 27516
919 942 1740 www.internationalistbooks.org

1. Midwest Conspiracy Tour, Aug 6 7-8pm
2. Speculative Fiction Aug 7 7-8pm
3. Political Prisoner Letter Writing Aug 11 7-9pm
4. IWW Meeting Aug 12 7:30-9pm
5. I-Books Concert at the Cave, Aug 13 9:30-Midnight
6. Lecture on Friendship Aug 18 7-9pm
7. Q&A with Paul Wolf Aug 19 7-8pm
8. Really Free Market Planning Aug 28 4-6pm

1. Midwest Conspiracy Tour

Start: Aug 6 2010 - 7:00pm
End: Aug 6 2010 - 8:00pm

The 2010 Conspiracy Tour features presentations and workshops filled
with up-to-the-minute info on the cases and upcoming trials of the RNC
8, Scott DeMuth and Hugh & Tiga, as well as information on state
repression, how to support people facing it and how to protect your
community from it. Learn about current legal struggles, and get some
insight about how to deal with future ones! Come find solidarity,
strategizing, resistance, and community that the state could only
dream of. This will be a roadshow to remember even before you read
about it in your FBI file.

Featuring:

Conspiracy: The Musical!
Security Culture 101
Grand Juries & How to Resist Them
State Repression: How do They Work?
Supporting Targets of Repression

2. Speculative Fiction with Elwin Cotman and Chris Fox

Start: Aug 7 2010 - 7:00pm
End: Aug 7 2010 - 8:00pm

Writers Elwin Cotman and Chris Fox will read from their published work
at Internationalist Books on Saturday, August 7th, 2010, at 7pm.
Admission is free

RSVP HERE: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=147592058588855

Born in Pittsburgh, PA, Cotman is a self-described “traditional
storyteller” who has read at venues across the country. His
performances often include music, dance and song. Following a
“do-it-yourself” mentality, he recently completed a 14-city tour by
car through the Midwest, and is currently embarked on the 4-city
“Southern Bard Tour.”

Cotman is the author of The Jack Daniels Sessions EP, a collection of
myth-based stories told from an African-American perspective, many of
them based on America’s dark racial history. The book is available
through Six Gallery Press.

Chris Fox, a native of Cincinnati, Ohio, currently lives and works in
Chapel Hill. Fox writes poetry, fiction, and jokes about time travel.
He frequently hosts Late Night Standup at the DSI Comedy Theatre in
Carrboro. He also performs regionally, including venues in Raleigh,
Greensboro, and Boone.

Fox’s poetry has been published in Wavelength and Rosebud, and his
fiction is available in The Bishop’s House Review, Slave, and the News
and Observer.

3. Political Prisoner Letter Writing Night

Start: Aug 11 2010 - 7:00pm
End: Aug 11 2010 - 9:00pm

4. IWW Meeting

Start: Aug 12 2010 - 7:30pm
End: Aug 12 2010 - 9:00pm

Fellow Workers:

Join us for our monthly IWW meeting, forming a General Membership
Branch for North Carolina!

The Industrial Workers of the World, the One Big Union, brought you
the end of child labor, the 8 hour day, the weekend, and important
gains in US Free Speech rights, protecting the 1st Amendment of the US
Constitution.

Join us as we bring workplace democracy to jobs, and Dumb the Bosses
of Your Backs!

5. Humble Tripe and Salt the Bitters benefit at The Cave

Start: Aug 13 2010 - 9:30pm
End: Aug 14 2010 - 12:00am

A concert to benefit Internationalist Books!

Tickets are only $5!

Come join us for some awesome music and a great time.

Location:

The Cave

452 1/2 W. Franklin St, Chapel Hill NC

6. All the Terrible Things We Do to Each Other: An experimental
lecture on friendship

Start: Aug 18 2010 - 7:00pm
End: Aug 18 2010 - 9:00pm

Amidst the collapse of social movements, a certain segment suggests a
return to friendship as the basis of any resistance to capitalism. But
what does this entail and what are its implications for revolutionary
movement? Part dare, part self-indulgence, this lecture will be an
attempt to work through practical and philosophical ideas of
friendship, community, and love in the hope of wringing out something
useful for the contemporary anarchist revolutionary. Allowing for
discussion of what is absent and what is desired, we hope to develop
an understanding of what friendship is and what it can become, its
possibilities and limitations, and the place it could have in wholly
upsetting the order of things.

7. Q&A with philosopher Dr.Robert Paul Wolf

Start: Aug 19 2010 - 7:00pm
End: Aug 19 2010 - 8:00pm

Q&A with philosopher Dr.Robert Paul Wolf on his book In Defense of Anarchism

8. Really Free Assembly (planning for Really Really Free Market)

Start: Aug 28 2010 - 4:00pm
End: Aug 28 2010 - 6:00pm
---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: