ch-scene - Rat Jackson CD Release Party - 3 Penny Acre - RJ Adams!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Rat Jackson CD Release Party - 3 Penny Acre - RJ Adams!
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:07:57 -0700 (PDT)

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

Tuesday, August 3
=95 8P David Glaser (acoustic/americana/folk rock) and 3 Penny Acre
(folk/americana)

Wednesday, August 4
=95 8P Continuum Blues Jam

Thursday, August 5
=95 8P Mary and the Strays
=95 10P Jambalaya (blues)

Friday, August 6
=95 8P RJ Adams (singer/songwriter - funk/r&b/pop/soul)
=95 10P Jo Gore and The Alternative (alternative/soul/blues)

Saturday, August 7
RAT JACKSON CD RELEASE PARTY
=95 8P Reid Johnson (of Schooner)
=95 10P Aminal (indie/soul/rock) - $7 Cover
=95 11P Red Collar (rock)
=95 Midnite - Rat Jackson (rock/alt)

Sunday, August 8
=95 7:30P The JazzTones (jazz/blues/swing)

---DETAILS---
Tuesday, August 3
=95 8P David Glaser (acoustic/americana/folk rock) and 3 Penny Acre
(folk/americana)
"David Glaser spins his stories and songs out of whole cloth. Denim,
mostly. He writes love songs for cars, ballads for houses, and tunes
so full of longing for the past and hope for the future, so gorgeous
in their wholeness that you may find yourself humming "I keep your
picture in my car" on Wednesday of next week... He's got a voice that
sounds like honey poured into a rusty cup of tea, sweetness bursting
out of him like an orange squeezed in the bright sunlight of a
Baltimore summer Sunday." - David Morreale, host of the S.N.A.F.U.
songwriter series.

3 Penny Acre's unique Ozark inspired sound has more than a regional
appeal. Listeners in all corners will appreciate their attention to
lyrics, harmony, and carefully crafted acoustic arrangements.

Wednesday, August 4
1
=95 8P Continuum Blues Jam- Come out to the Blues Jam every other
Wednesday sponsored by Continuum Consulting Services. Butch Haas will
be facilitating this free-to-the-public jam. So bring your gear, sign
up for a time, and jam with some of Durham=92s finest! Drums, keyboard,
bass, guitar and harp amps provided.

Thursday, August 5
=95 8P Mary and the Strays
Maryann Fennimore is a singer songwriter from New York City coming to
Durham to introduce her new solo record =93Overtime=94 with Mary and the
Strays. Fennimore has been working as a singer songwriter in New York
City for 10 years with the Brooklyn based bluegrass/folk group
Crescent and Frost. Following three successful albums, and a decade of
live performance and touring, she launched her solo project, Mary and
the Strays in 2008 to develop her signature style that blends
bluegrass, folk, and blues.

=93Her ethereal quality is grounded in a wiry, worldly emotionality=85
Fennimore is the kind of front person that could launch an act. She
cuts a figure on stage that is irresistible, in many senses. Sure
enough of herself to be unassuming, she is a compelling beauty to hear
and behold.=94 - Frank Goodman June, 2006, PureMusic.com

=95 10P Jambalaya (blues)
Mixing up a pot of Blues and Blues/Rock covers. Healthy servings of
Mississippi Hill Country Blues from NMA, R.L. Burnside, and Junior
Kimbrough to Blues Rock of The Black Keys and SRV.

Friday, August 6
=95 8P RJ Adams (singer/songwriter - funk/r&b/pop/soul)
Music began for RJ at the early age of 7 in the small southern town in
North Carolina. Like most kids, RJ dreamed of becoming a big star like
his favorite music heros Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Prince, Al
Green, james Brown, Sam Cooke and Otis Redding to name a few. RJ Adams
is know for his high energy live performances that keep you moving non
stop.
Rj=92s music is a breath of fresh air in today=92s world.. His music is
uplifting and positive for all to listen.. In recent interviews Rj was
quoted saying =93 I love all music and all people =85I simply want to
bring back music that is positive , inspiring and not offensive to
anyone.. It=92s okay to sing about love and everyday life and that is
the message in my music and why the album is called Love, Life,
Music ..=94
RJ=92s first album =93Love, Life, Music gained popularity when RJ
performed a remix of =93RJA=94 on Pay Per View March 2007 and became an
international selling CD in 15 countries.
Rj=92s new album titled =93Acoustic Soul=94 is being released March 2009
and features some of his best songwriting. Acoustic Soul is full of
soulful, Bluesy melodic songs with no band just a single guitar and
vocal recorded live in the studio with a raw sound displaying RJ=92s
unique vocal sound.
RJ is often asked to describe his music. He simply says with
confidence, "It's feel good music =93music for everyone..
One of the largest breaks for RJ was when he performed =93live=94 March
2007 in Las Vegas on Pay Pre-view . The Pay Pre-View event aired in 15
countries where 120 million viewers tuned in world wide.

=95 10P Jo Gore and The Alternative (alternative/soul/blues)
Jo Gore spent a good potion of her childhood singing at Spring Hill
Baptist, located in Columbus County, NC. Jo=92s father, A.K. Gore was
the church pianist, and the two would play and sing throughout the
region. =93Spring Hill Baptist was a typical southern black church.
There was plenty of soul, field hollerin, spirituals, call-and-
response=85people sung and played by ear. Noone fell asleep.=94 Jo has
developed a style that borrows from early gospel rock and rollers and
charismatic quartet singers like Rosetta Tharpe, James Cleveland, Joe
Ligon, and Harvey Watkins Jr. Her heavy vibrato, improvisation, and
interpretation of melody is quite reminiscent of the great vocal jazz
and gospel stylists of the 50=92s and 60=92s. =93It=92s no secret that I ha=
ve
tried to pattern myself after Sarah Vaughan. She had such an amazing
vocal range and such beautiful vibrato. I worship this woman.=94 Jo Gore
performs along with renowned acoustic guitar player Bo Lankenau. They
are both a part of the band called =91The Alternative.=92 When asked to
describe the music, Jo says =93It=92s a mix of rock, jazz, and blues with
some interesting world beats.=94 The group has been performing
extensively in the triangle and hopes to secure a label soon. Growing
up worlds apart in NY and NC, Jo and Bo found a common musical ground
listening to the classic blues, soul, rock, jazz, and folk music of
the 50's and the 60's along with current genres of today. Influenced
by everyone from Robert Johnson to Sarah Vaughan to Tina Turner to Amy
Winehouse. Their style is a refreshing mix of new and old that ranges
from slow melancholy musings to upbeat in-your-face dance music. Bo
writes the music and lyrics about issues that are important to both he
and Jo. Issue's like standing up for one's belief's, life's regrets,
home, family, war, the environment, relationships..etc. Helping bring
the songs to life are their talented band mates, Steven Coon (electric
guitar), Leon LB (bass) and Bakru Hunsel (drums).

Saturday, August 7
RAT JACKSON CD RELEASE PARTY

=95 8P Reid Johnson (of Schooner)

=95 10P Aminal (indie/soul/rock) - $7 Cover
"Aminal pushes tunes that are just as strong through a porous rustic
filter, like Spoon with work boots. One of the most exciting bands to
emerge from Chapel Hill during the backside of this decade, the young
four-piece Aminal brims with a potential only matched by its abundant
hooks." - Grayson Currin, Independent Weekly

=95 11P Red Collar (rock)
There's a feeling in the room when Red Collar is playing that is hard
to describe. It is as though the club or room has been lifted from its
foundations and pulled straight up--that we've been taken out of time,
and transported to a time before ironic posturing became the norm. A
time before we used terms like post-anything. I'm not talking about
false nostalgia for a better time. Just a different time. When this
band plays it is ALRIGHT to yell along and to clap your hands.=94
-Evan Rowe, Map...

=95 Midnite - Rat Jackson (rock/alt)
Rat Jackson is the musical, spiritual and very physical creation of
myself, Tad Jackson (lead singer and fret burner), and my brother
Chester--beater of the skins. Long time collaborator R.L. Sutton
thumps the big strings and my man Steve O whails on the Les Paul.
We've been more or less playing together since '03, though the band
names have changed and the sound has moved in some different
directions. You will probably swoon for the rythmic pounding and
soaring melodies of our powerhouse, blues-rock n' roll.
But ladies--this is all you really need to know right now. Rat
Jackson will take care of you. We want you to have a good time. We
want you to succeed in life. And we want you to pay the occasional
cover and wander over to the nearby rock club and witness nothing
short of a miracle. This band will change your life and give you a
reason to continue being beautiful--just ask your sister, who took our
advice a long time ago and look how far she has come!

Sunday, August 8
=95 7:30P The JazzTones (jazz/blues/swing)
The JazzTones sextet plays mainstream jazz in the styles of the 50's
and 60's. Behind the sultry vocals of Alice Brower, the Jazztones
cover tunes ranging from standards, to swing, blues, latin and bebop.
It's members come from the greater Hillsborough, North Carolina area.

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street in Durham www.TheBroadStreetCaf=
e.com

  • Rat Jackson CD Release Party - 3 Penny Acre - RJ Adams!, BSC, 08/02/2010