ch-scene - Felix Obelix seeking keyboard players

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Wendy Spitzer <felixobelix AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Felix Obelix seeking keyboard players
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 22:32:08 -0400

Hi, I'm Wendy Spitzer and Felix Obelix is my avant-pop ensemble (
http://felixobelix.com/). I'm seeking to repopulate my band, and I am now
looking for two keyboard players (or one keyboard player and one
accordionist, though I'm not holding my breath on the accordionist).
Currently, I sing and play bass, Billy Sugarfix plays the drums, and David
Eisenband plays xylophone.

I need two keyboard players, and specifically I need:

-people who can read sheet music.
-people comfortable with mixed meter. By this I mean, not just comfortable
in 5/8, but in meter that changes from 4/4 to 5/8 to 3/4, etc. If you're ok
with it but not comfortable, I can teach you if you're interested in
learning.
-people who can commit to learning this music that's not easy in a rock-band
kind of way, but are interested in the type of satisfaction one gets from
learning something difficult and doing it well.
-can rehearse at my house in Carrboro
-will be around for the month of November, when I'd like to debut this new
live band.
-people comfortable playing in a band that's amplified but is not incredibly
loud (the goal is to have the audience not have to wear earplugs)

I have a 1960s Acetone organ that someone could use, but keyboardist or
accordionist #2 would need to provide his/her own gear.

Why would you want to play in this band?
It's true, and I will be upfront, that this is not a band for everyone. The
parts are pretty defined, though there are some moments where improvisation/
personalization is possible. The songs sound catchy/easy but can be tricky.
Playing in this band, however, is a chance to brush up on some unusual
metrical/rhythmical patterns. It's a chance to beef up your keyboard skills,
if maybe keyboard is your secondary instrument. It's a chance to play quite
well-attended shows fairly infrequently.

If you're interested, please shoot me an email to felixobelix AT gmail.com. The
best overview of what this band is about, is probably in this nice write-up
in the Indy earlier this year: http://www.indyweek.com/in
dyweek/felix-obelix-aging-is-hard/Content?oid=1300476

Thanks!
Wendy

--
Get the Felix Obelix album at http://www.poxworldempire.org

http://felixobelix.com

  • Felix Obelix seeking keyboard players, Wendy Spitzer, 07/25/2010