ch-scene - This Week At The Nightlight

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Montgomery Morris <montgomery.morris AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: This Week At The Nightlight
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 13:55:09 -0400

Fri 07/16 Filthybird <http://www.myspace.com/filthybird> (new release coming
out on Holidays for Quince) / Lake Isle (G,boro) / Dylan Gilbert
(singer-songwriter) : 9:30 PM

Gearing up for an October record release, Filthybird bring songs as
disparate as delicate Americana and psychedelic squalor with both ends tamed
by the arresting vocals of Renee Mendoza. Led by Gate City songwriter Mark
Dougherty, The Lake Isle will arise and go now, lifting their Joey
Burns/Mark Kozelek-style hushed Southwestern songs through the rarefied
desert air and into spaced-out rock territory. Charlottean indie jazz-pop
songwriter Dylan Gilbert sets it all off.

Sat 07/17 Juan Huevos <http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos> /
Menya!!!<http://www.myspace.com/menyamusic>+ DJ ONE DURAN! DANCE
PARTY! $5 :: 10 PM

Prepare to sweat as NYC electro-glitch pop trio Menya storm into the NL with
singalong hooks and infectious beats. Local legend Juan Huevos keeps the
party going with his 8-bit jams and electrohop cerebral sleaze. WXYC/1200
Problems/Disco Inferno veteran One Duran keeps the dancefloor hot until the
wee hours.
*Tues 07/20* Ben Davis and the Jett$
<http://www.myspace.com/bendavisrock>(members of Milemarker and
Monsonia)/We are Hex
<http://www.myspace.com/wearehex>(Indianapolis, Indiana) / Supreme
Fiction<http://www.myspace.com/supremefiction>(CH) - 9:30 PM $5

Well kill the fatted calf tonight-- yer gonna hear electric music and solid
walls of sound from Ben Davis and the Jett$, cash money post-punk gears
rumblin', yessir. We Are Hex may come from Naptown, but they'll keep you up
with Jilly channeling Robert Smith and the band's arresting brand of
rhythmic psych/gaze/wave. Local psych-soul rockers Supreme Fiction open.
Wed 07/21 Endless Boogie <http://www.last.fm/music/Endless+Boogie> (No
Quarter Records <http://www.myspace.com/noquarterrecords>/ NYC) / In The
Year of the Pig <http://www.myspace.com/intheyearofthepig> -

"In the backyahd, we're gonna have some pahty time don't ya know, we're
gonna get down real fine, yes we ahhh." This raspy beginning to *Focus Level
*is a threat and a promise as the heavy blues riffing begins BUT DOES NOT
STOP. Head-noddingly good psyched-out leads and Paul Major's cracked-blues
barking draw you in and you look at yer watch, they're eight minutes in and
by gum you didn't even notice. Such is the power of NYC's Endless Boogie,
who smoke a kraut-like blues beat with a dry-rub of Beefheart on top. EB
had one of the best rock records of 2008, and we get to see them the day
after their new record hits the stores. Worth getting out the house on a
Wednesday all by themselves, In the Year of the Pig will bring their
kraut-metal wall of sound-- you bring yer earplugs.

Thurs 07/22 Lake Inferior <http://www.myspace.com/lakeinferiormusic> / Casual
Curious <http://www.myspace.com/casualcurious>(Greensboro) / Hidden
Cat<http://www.myspace.com/hiddencat>(Raleigh)- 9:30 PM

Hazy electronic psychpop boys Lake Inferior return to the Nightlight with
fellow travelers Casual Curious in tow, making for a night of bleeps,
soaring vocals, and danceable tunes. Electro/House DJ and New Science
Experience head DJ Hidden Cat has been burning up the internet after some
high-profile mixes and remixes-- we're lucky enough to get a set from him
before he heads across the pond for club sets in London.

Fri 07/23 Tiny Concept (France) / Ca$h Slave Clique / America Reads / Nuss /
SAYTOOTHSAY (CA/NYC) 10 PM :: $5
Fans of that Minimal Wave Tapes comp that Stones Throw put out earlier this
year won't want to miss Tiny Concept, the one-woman sparse electronic
project of Bordeaux's Leticia. Alexandria's Ca$h Slave Clique will
rearrange yer world view, clicking on a half-danceable drum machine but
pairing it with skull-penetrating electronic squiggles that read like a
paperrad etch-a-sketch. Something else, indeed. SAYTOOTHSAY and local
noisemakers America Reads and Big Nuss fill out the bill.

Sat 07/24 RECORD RELEASE PARTY FOR PYKRETE
<http://www.myspace.com/pkyrete>with Kinoeye / DJ Nasty Boots /
Projections by Neill Prewitt (Yuxtapongo ) -
9:30 PM $5

Pykrete is the solo electronics performance project of Oakland musician and
composer Chuck Johnson. Johnson has worked in improvised music, noise,
experimental rock, American Primitive guitar, and music for film and dance.
In recent years he has developed a versatile analog electronic performance
system, created interactive and intermedia work with unusual interfaces, and
worked extensively with just intonation tuning systems. Recordings of
Johnson’s music have been published by Communion, Amish, Merge, Umbrella,
Phaserprone, Squealer and Threelobed. As Pykrete, Johnson improvises within
the limits of simple analog circuitry, with an ear towards finding faults
and instabilities that might reveal latent beauty.

The new Pykrete double LP Liber Novus, available now from FrequeNC
Records<http://www.myspace.com/frequencrecords>,
is comprised of tracks recorded in Johnson's Carborro and Chapel Hill, NC
home studios between 2006 and 2007, as well as a recording of a performance
in Oakland, CA in 2008. Johnson moved to Oakland in 2007 to pursue an MFA in
Electronic Music from Mills College, which he completed in 2009.

Local techno producer Kinoeye (aka Datahata) fills the bill with Nasty Boots
spinning and Neill Prewitt projecting cutups all night long.

----
NIGHTLIGHT Bar & Club

405 1/2 W. Rosemary St.
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919.960.6101
www.nightlightclub.com
booking - nightlightbooking AT gmail.co
info, inquiries, etc. - nightlightinfo AT gmail.com

click here to subscribe to our mailing list!