ch-scene - [Internationalist] Ibooks news

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Ibooks news
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2010 22:25:57 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919.942.1740
Open 11 AM to 8 PM, Mon-Sat; 12 to 6 PM Sun
www.internationalistbooks.org

IN THIS EMAIL:

1) Think Outside the Bomb tour arrives at Ibooks! (Sun 6/6, 3 PM)
2) Our Other Weapon Is A Zine - Zine Reading ( Friday 6/11 7PM)
3) Fundraiser for Prison Books-Haunted House Interest Meeting
4) The store is getting cleaned up and cleared out.

1)Think Outside the Bomb is the nation's largest youth-led nuclear
abolitionist network, and they're going to be coming to Chapel Hill to
your favorite independent radical bookstore, Internationalist Books!
This year they are engaging in a campaign called Disarmament Summer,
which includes a presence at the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty
Review in May, a three month national tour (with a stop here at
I-Books), and an Action and Permaculture Encampment July 30th to
August 9th.

TOTB Tour will be offering a presentation/discussion focusing on the
issue of nuclear abolition, with a stress on its intersections with
other global movements, including: movements for sustainable energy,
indigenous sovereignty struggles, environmental movements, labor
movements, and movements that oppose the state of global capitalism,
among others. They will also speak of creating a positive and
affirming culture of resistance. The discussion will also incorporate
music performance, puppets, interactive mapping, and a traveling art
exhibit. TOTB will be co-presenting with the Counter Cartographies
Collective.

From TOTB:
"We seek to build community and working knowledge through our national
tour, by offering critical information on the state of the US Nuclear
Industrial Complex, as well as a critical look at how we engage in
resistance."

For more on the tour visit: http://totbtour.wordpress.com

For more on the TOTB visit: http://www.thinkoutsidethebomb.org

2)Our Other Weapon Is A Zine - Zine Reading

Friday, June 11th 7pm Internationalist Books

Ker-bloom! and Rad Dad once again team up for a sizzling zine tour! In
2007 Artnoose and Tomas went up and down the West Coast performing
dynamic reading of their respective zines, and now they're taking on
some states in the middle.

Artnoose has been letterpress printing the zine Ker-bloom! since 1996
and currently lives in Pittsburgh PA.

Tomas Moniz edits the radical parenting zine Rad Dad and spends the
rest of his time writing fiction, biking, and being a dad in Berkeley
CA.

Rad Dad won the "best zine of 2009". It's a great compilation zine
about being a father and a radical. It "Brings together voices that
are asking different questions and telling different stories about
what it means to be a parent in a fractured, unequal, consumerist
society." written by "...queer parents, parents of color, radical
feminist parents, parents who are redefining what family means."

Featuring articles on growing up as a Communist's son, a story by
James Allardice about doing a charity bike ride with his dad, and how
their roles changed during it, as he started taking care of his dad in
new ways, Top Ten Books for the Whole Family, a review of My Baby
Rides the Short Bus, about kids on the playground, dealing with
bullies with "a diversity of tactics, escalating to direct action".
There's an article where a new parent asks different revolutionary
parents "If you could communicate one thing to a radical parent to be,
what would it be?", "Concrete Things You can Do to Support Parents or
Child Care Givers" and so much more.

3)Save the Date- Sunday June 13th
Haunted House Interest Meeting! 13 points on the 13th

When- 6pm

Where- Internationalist Books

Haunted House Fundraiser for The Internationalist Prison Books
Collective. The Prison Books Collective is a volunteer non-profit that
sends hundreds of books to prisoners in the South each month, and
publishes prisoners' art and writing. It is our aim to run a haunted
house through the month of October, and raise enough money to fund
prison books for the year.

Come to Ibooks next Sunday and Listen to Ichabod Yo of the Mysterious
Rabbit Puppet Army give a 13 point power point presentation on this
great and fun fund raising idea. Find out how we as a community will
win lots of money for our projects as well as have a great time doing
it. If you like theater, scaring people, Halloween, large scale DIY
projects, or just want to make sure prisoners can at lest read books,
then you my friend, yes you, should come to this presentation.

Snacks will be provided!

4) Things are getting cleaned up and cleared out in the store all next
week. So if there are some items that you want or think should go in a
particular place please stop by soon.

Lydia

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: