ch-scene - stuff to do, week of May 13, 2010

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of May 13, 2010
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 21:55:50 -0400

Thursday, May 13
Stripmines
Surroundings (http://www.myspace.com/surroundings)
Foreign Objects (http://www.myspace.com/objectsforeign)
Flex Your Head (http://www.myspace.com/flexxxyourhead)
Altered State
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Thursday, May 13
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Red City Radio (http://www.myspace.com/redcityradio)
Slow Death (http://www.myspace.com/prettyboythorson)
The Anchor
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is a pre-show before a new big punkrock fest, Radfest, happening
this weekend in Wilmington.

Thursday, May 13
Lake Inferior (http://www.myspace.com/lakeinferiormusic)
Wild Wild Geese (http://www.myspace.com/wildwildgeesemusic)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is the weekly Local Bands, Local Beers show, with Odessa Records'
Wild Wild Geese, and UNC synth/dub/shoegaze-popsters Lake Inferior.

Thursday, May 13
Vibrant Green (http://vibrantgreen.iuma.com)
Lions at Lunchtime (http://www.reverbnation.com/lionsatlunchtime)
Smile Radio (http://www.myspace.com/smileradio)
The Pinhook, Durham

Friday, May 14
Neil Diamond All-Stars
New Town Drunks (http://www.newtowndrunks.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, May 14
I Was Totally Destroying It
(http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is IWTDI's fast-becoming career-defining U2 tribute show.

Friday, May 14
Citified (http://www.citifiedband.org/)
Fan Tan (http://www.myspace.com/fantanrock)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is an EP-release for Triangle-to-NYC ex-pats Fan Tan.

Friday, May 14
The Dex Romweber Duo
(http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/artist/dex-romweber-duo)
Drivin' N Cryin'
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, May 14
Workday/School Night
MC Bingo Blower (http://www.avgeeks.com/2010/01/28/)
Max Legroom
DJ Yes! Sputnik (http://yes-sputnik.net/djing.html)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

CHILL THRILL! = A Multi-media night of video jamming, synth punk, gas
masked bingo, and dance music!

Saturday, May 15
The Strugglers (http://www.thestrugglers.org/)
Lost in the Trees (http://www.lostinthetrees.com)
Old Bricks
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Lost in the Trees' "All Alone in an Empty House" will be reissued by
Anti Records on August 10, so take advantage of this chance to see them
at the Cradle (with two other long-sentences-and-heartbreak bands, Old
Bricks & the Strugglers) before they explode.

Saturday, May 15
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Arbouretum (http://www.myspace.com/arbouretum)
Pontiak (http://www.myspace.com/pontiak)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Pontiak are from the wilds of Virginia, and they make a variety of heavy
southern drone/metal that I generally find more compelling live than on
record.

Caltrop are different but equally awesome live & on record, but since
they haven't graced us with a new record in approaching-forever, live is
what we have to work with.

Saturday, May 15
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
The Tomahawks (http://www.myspace.com/jeffcrawfordmusic)
Wages (http://www.myspace.co/wageswages)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 15
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls
(http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
The Campaign 1984 (http://www.myspace.com/thecampaign1984)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Richard Bacchus is a puckish, evil-minded rock-n-roll raconteur; his
shows are 75% rock-n-roll and 25% between-song cabaret banter. 100%
awesome.

Sunday, May 16
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Jews & Catholics are from Winston-Salem, though they've just released
their first full-length album, "Who Are? We Think We Are!" on Durham's
307 Knox Records. Check out their unique gtr + drum-machine + upright
bass combination at 4:00 p.m. on 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, May 16
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Everybody Was in the French Resistance ... Now!
(http://www.myspace.com/fixingthecharts)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Hmm. Eddie Argos of Art Brut makes a side-project that releases a
full-length album of nothing but "answer songs", and Pitchfork hates it.
But how does it translate live?

If you go, go early enough to catch Winston-Salem's excellent
industrial-pop/indie-rockers Jews & Catholics.

Tuesday, May 18
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Pride Parade