ch-scene - stuff to do, week of May 6, 2010

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of May 6, 2010
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 21:32:58 -0400

Thursday, May 6
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is the weekly Local Bands, Local Beers show. Schooner are masters of melancholy pop (with a sinister edge).

You may have heard rumors about a special secret third band on the bill, and there is one. Schooner's Maria Albani will beat me up if I say who they are, and she's a vicious beastie, so I'll refrain. But I'll say this: They're from Raleigh.

Thursday, May 6
Paleface
Holy Ghost Tent Revival (http://www.myspace.com/hgtr)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 6
The Physics of Meaning (http://www.thephysicsofmeaning.com/)
The Big Picture
Josh Mease (http://www.myspace.com/joshmease)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This weekend is all Physics of Meaning, all the time (in addition to this show, they're at the Pinhook on Saturday, and Tir Na nOg on Sunday).

Friday, May 7
John Howie, Jr. & The Rosewood Bluff (http://www.myspace.com/rosewoodbluff)
The Kinksmen (http://www.myspace.com/jeffhoo)
The Darnell Woodies (http://www.myspace.com/thedarnellwoodies)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Country from local master John Howie Jr, formerly of the $2 Pistols; and a set of Kinks covers from the Kinksmen, led by a man whose whole career has sometimes felt like an homage to the Davies brothers, Jeff Hart.

Friday, May 7
Billy Sugarfix (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billysugarfix.htm)
Chip Smoak (http://asimpleband.net/)
Animal Alphabet
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

This is a comparatively rare performance by Billy Sugarfix's Carousel, the chamber-pop band he assembled to perform songs from his 2009 solo debut, "Summer Tempests."

Friday, May 7
Mount Moriah (http://www.myspace.com/mountmoriah)
The Great White Jenkins (http://www.tgwj.com/)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Megafaun are always at their best when they've been out on the road for a while; this is their homecoming show after a 30-date, 6-week tour, so they should be freaking AMAZING.

Friday, May 7
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Bustello (http://www.myspace.com/bustellomusic)
Sugar Glyder (http://www.myspace.com/sugarglyder)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Anthemic power-poppers I Was Totally Destroying It are probably the hardest-working band in Triangle showbiz at present. Bustello are a supergroup of late-80s/early-90s Triangle vets; they make a spooky, reverb-drenched indie-rock that's highly reminiscent of singer/guitarist Ben Clarke's earlier band Metal Flake Mother.

Friday, May 7
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
The Alcazar Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/thealcazarhotel)
The Protomen (http://www.myspace.com/theprotomen)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, May 7
The Stars Explode (http://www.myspace.com/thestarsexplode)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, May 7
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Citified (http://www.citifiedband.org/)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, May 8
Pulsoptional (http://www.pulsoptional.org/)
NC School of Science and Math, Durham

This is what the folks at Durham contemporary composers' collective Pulsoptional said about this show:

"Just a friendly reminder that in our first local spring showcase concert in 5 years, this Saturday, May 8th 2010 at 8:00 PM, pulsoptional will be presenting Music In Durham Is New , a night of exciting new works and local premieres. We will be returning to the beautiful ETC Auditorium on the campus of the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics located on the corner of Club Blvd. and Maryland Ave in Durham. The concert is being presented as a part of NCSSM’s fine arts series and is FREE and open to the public.

The compositions on the program, bringing together electric strings, woodwinds, piano, drums, marimba and live electronics are:

Sidney Boquiren: Doves (2007) — joyous grooves, floating peace and the mourning in between.

marc faris: Smile and Nod Knowingly (2008) — math rock sensibility, drum and bass aesthetic all in a whirlwind

John Mayrose: Monophony (2005) — anti-counterpoint meets fibonacci. TapOut (2008) — digital delay lines performed by live players.

Sigur Rós (arr. Todd Hershberger): Ì Gær (1999/2008) — Icelandic soundscape prog excursion.

Carrie Shull: Bell chimes and drums (2008) — candle light tintinnabulation and free improv drum drones.

And the local premiere of Aaron Brooks' Quintet (2008), a pulsoptional commission from a young North Carolina composer now in the doctoral composition program at University of Pittsburg. The piece is Brooks' attempt "to find a happy union of experimental rock and modern chamber music," obviously a good fit for pulsoptional.

As a tribute to the city that pulsoptional likes to call home, the concert will be accompanied by visual projections of stunning historic images from the Digital Durham Project as well as inspired city images by local photographers and visual artists."

Saturday, May 8
Citified (http://www.citifiedband.org/)
Shawn Luby
Free Electric State (http://www.myspace.com/freeelectricstate)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

The evening kicks off around 8 with Humble Tripe frontman Shawn Luby; the rock proper commences at rocktime (10:00, 10:30, whatever) with Greensboro shoegazers Citified, followed by Durham guitar-wallbuilders Free Electric State.

Saturday, May 8
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

There's a big article in this week's Indy about this show, and the rock-n-roll documentary that will be shot, in part, at it.

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/40-nights-of-rock-and-roll/Content?oid=1409772

But all you really need to know is that Spider Bags will fuckin slay you dead.

Saturday, May 8
American Bang (http://www.americanbang.net)
Alberta Cross (http://www.myspace.com/albertacross)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 8
Mosadi Music (http://www.mosadimusic.com/)
The Physics of Meaning (http://www.thephysicsofmeaning.com/)
Humble Tripe (http://www.myspace.com/shawnluby)
The Pinhook, Durham

Saturday, May 8
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Thee Dirtybeats (http://www.myspace.com/ampsdofurnisharoom)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, May 9
The Physics of Meaning (http://www.thephysicsofmeaning.com/)
Monologue Bombs (http://www.myspace.com/themonologuebombs)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Special Sunday-night show at Tir Na nOg, featuring chamber-pop from the Physics of Meaning, tragic accordion-fueled tales of woe from Monologue Bombs, and Badfingery power-pop from the Magic Babies.

Sunday, May 9
Yip Yip (http://www.yip-yip.com)
Cheezface
All Leather (http://www.myspace.com/allleather)