ch-scene - [Internationalist] Political prisoner card night + forest defense benefit!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] Political prisoner card night + forest defense benefit!
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 18:27:17 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919.942.1740
Open 11 AM to 8 PM, Mon-Sat; 12 to 6 PM Sun
www.internationalistbooks.org

IN THIS EMAIL:

1) Political Prisoner Card/Letter-Writing Night! (Mon, 4/19)
2) Forest Defense Benefit! (Tues, 4/20)
3) New books in stock!
4) More upcoming events!

1) POLITICAL PRISONER LETTER/CARD WRITING NIGHT (MON, 4/19, 7 PM)
Join us for the latest in our monthly series of Political Prisoner
Letter Writing night events, as folks gather to write letters and send
birthday cards to some of the political prisoners locked up in the US
whose birthdays take place in April. Come out and show your support
for folks on the inside. Here are some of the prisoners whose
birthdays come this month:

*Chuck Sims Africa
*Janet Holloway Africa
*Janine Phillips Africa
*Romaine "Chip" Fitzgerald
*Marshal Eddie Conway
*Mumia Abu-Jamal

Did we miss a birthday? Do you have a birthday you want to make sure
we include? Contact us for any reason: ppbirthday AT riseup.net

2) FOREST DEFENSE BENEFIT! (TUES, 4/20, 6 PM)

Join other environmental activists in an effort to raise funds to
defend the Globe Forest in western North Carolina!

Spring-Time Benefit Dinner to Protect North Carolina's Forests
at Pacifica Co-Housing
141 Viburnum Way (at the end of Hanna St.), Carrboro
6:00 PM

Serving a Southern home-cooked dinner including biscuits & gravy,
black eyed peas, collared greens, mashed potatoes, coleslaw, dessert &
locally made wine. (Vegetarian and vegan options will be available.)

*Please RSVP* by email to ncforestdefense AT riseup.net.
Suggested donation $10 per person; all proceeds go to the campaign to
save the Globe Forest.

For more information, please visit http://savetheglobe.wordpress.com/

3) NEW BOOKS IN STOCK!

Here's a small sampling of our recent arrivals:

*Lots of books exploring diet, animals, and the environment, including
The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith (see events below!), Eating
Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer, and The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael
Pollan.

*Graphic novels such as the DMZ comics, World War 3, Cristy Road's
Indestructible, and Nate Powell's Sounds of Your Name

*Cutting edge political theory from Giorgio Agamben to Christian
Marazzi, Guy Hocquenghem's The Screwball Asses, and Gender Trouble by
Judith Butler

*Fascinating accounts of history including Greg Grandin's Fordlandia,
A People's History of Science, Open Veins of Latin America by Eduardo
Galeano, and of course the late Howard Zinn's People's History of the
United States.

*and so much more! Swing by to check out the new titles and enjoy our
wide selection of political and cultural books, plus magazines,
stickers, buttons, and more!

5) MORE UPCOMING EVENTS!

-READING INSURRECTION: WEEKLY READING GROUP
*Reading Insurrection* is a facilitated reading group meeting every
Wednesday from 8 to 10 PM, exploring contemporary insurrectionary
anarchist and critical theory. Every Wednesday at 8 PM, join local
radicals in dissecting and discussing different texts on themes
ranging from biopolitics to rupture to small-c communism to global
social war. For more information or details on readings, email
reading.insurrection.nc AT gmail.com.

Upcoming Schedule:
4/21, 4/28: Rupture & Party/Violence (Benjamin, Deleuze, Guattari,
Schmitt, Baudrillard)

SPRINGTIME SKILLSHARES
This spring, every Thursday, the Internationalist will host a series
of skillshares!

April 22- How to: DIY
April 29- Street Art

MON 4/26, 7 PM: READING GROUP - "THE VEGETARIAN MYTH"
Join us at Internationalist Books as we discuss Lierre Keith's
controversial new book "The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice and
Sustainability" (PM Press, 2009). Derrick Jensen says this book "saved
his life", while Alice Walker calls it "one of the most important
books we can read" - yet radical vegans delivered a cayenne pie to the
face of the author during her reading at the 2010 San Francisco
Anarchist Bookfair! What's all the fuss about?

From the author's website: "We've been told that a vegetarian diet
can feed the hungry, honor the animals, and save the planet. Lierre
Keith believed in that plant-based diet and spent twenty years as a
vegan. But in The Vegetarian Myth, she argues that we've been led
astray--not by our longings for a just and sustainable world, but by
our ignorance.

The truth is that agriculture is a relentless assault against the
planet, and more of the same won't save us. In service to annual
grains, humans have devastated prairies and forests, driven countless
species extinct, altered the climate, and destroyed the topsoil--the
basis of life itself. Keith argues that if we are to save this planet,
our food must be an act of profound and abiding repair: it must come
from inside living communities, not be imposed across them.

Part memoir, part nutritional primer, and part political manifesto,
The Vegetarian Myth will challenge everything you thought you knew
about food politics."

What do you think? Come by the Internationalist to discuss and debate
Keith's arguments. Vegans, omnivores, and folks of all dietary
persuasions are invited. Copies are for sale at the store for $20.00
each - just $18.00 if you're a member! Don't miss this chance to
debate key contemporary political issues of ecology, diet, animal
rights, and freedom with other passionate radicals!

MON, 5/10, 7 PM: READING GROUP- "WE ARE AN IMAGE OF THE FUTURE: THE
GREEK RIOTS OF DECEMBER 2008"
Following up on our exciting presentation and discussion by the
authors of this book back in February, the Internationalist welcomes
all interested in the recent riots in Greece to join us for a reading
group to discuss "We Are an Image From the Future: The Greek Revolt of
December 2008" (AK Press, 2010).

What causes a city, then a whole country, to explode? How did one
neighborhood's outrage over the tragic death of one teenager transform
itself into a generalized insurrection against State and capital,
paralyzing an entire nation for a month? This is a book about the
murder of fifteen-year-old Alexis Grigoropoulos, killed by the police
in the Exarchia neighborhood of Athens on December 6th, 2008, and of
the revolution in the streets that followed, bringing business as
usual in Greece to a screeching, burning halt for three marvelous
weeks, and putting the fear of history back into the bureaucrats of
Fortress Europe and beyond.

We Are an Image From the Future delves into the December insurrection
and its aftermath through interviews with those who witnessed and
participated in it, alongside the communiqués and texts that
circulated through the networks of revolt. It provides the
on-the-ground facts needed to understand these historic events, and
also dispels the myths activists outside of Greece have constructed
around them. What emerges is not just the intensity of the riots, but
the stories of organizing and solidarity, the questions of strategy
and tactics: a desperately needed examination of the fabric of the
Greek movements that made December possible.

The book will be available for sale soon at the Internationalist for
$17.00 - just $15.30 if you're a member of the bookstore. Check out
more about the book at
http://akpress.org/2010/items/weareanimagefromthefuture. You can read
more about the VOID Network in Athens, Greece at
http://voidnetwork.blogspot.com/.

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: