ch-scene - 4/25 House show w/ Hiss Golden Messenger / Viking Moses! / Golden Ghost

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Craig Powell <craigpowell AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: 4/25 House show w/ Hiss Golden Messenger / Viking Moses! / Golden Ghost
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:21:22 -0400

Hey y'all -

I'll be hosting a house show here at the Layabout (aka 2702 lawndale) on the
25th, a sunday. it'll start at 8pm and won't go super-late!

The usual stuff : $5 suggested donation, all-ages, B.Y.O.B. and everyone is
invited! there will be 2 touring singer/songwriters and 1 local band. it
will start promptly and won't run super-late since it's a Sunday...

The address is 2702 Lawndale Ave. Durham. (1 block from the corner of
Lawndale and Hillsborough Rd.) You can park curbside or at the parking lot
at Hillsborough and Lawndale.

it should be a great night! with music from...

VIKING MOSES, aka Missouri's Brendon Massei, often associated with the
"Freak Folk" or "New Weird America" batch of young psych-folk misfits since
being included on the 'Golden Apples of the Sun' compilation which Devendra
Banhart curated for Arthur Magazine. That being said, Brendon describes his
music as more straightforward rock and soul than weird folk... I have it on
good authority that the live show is something pretty special, best-suited
for houses and unconventional venues (kinda like Layabout!) I can't think of
a better way to wrap up a weekend...
http://myspace.com/vikingmoses

GOLDEN GHOST is Laura Goetz, from NYC via the UK. She serves as 1/2 of the
Viking Moses live band and has been a member of Castanets amongst other
projects. Her own songs are mellow and lovely, catchy and complex. Check out
this recently recorded Daytrotter live session...Amazing!
http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/golden-ghost-concert/20030491-3737778.html

HISS GOLDEN MESSENGER is MC Taylor (The Court and Spark) and friends.
Aquarius Records says, "“Smooth and groovy, laid back and mellow, a definite
seventies FM radio vibe, a little Laurel Canyon, even a bit of funk here and
there, a little jazziness, from country ballad to boogie stomp to jazzy dark
pop … to one track that definitely gets a bit dubby, but those songs are all
wound up in a warm woozy playful sound that manages to be all it’s own while
proudly flying the flags of all the sounds that came before.”
http://www.myspace.com/hissgoldenmessenger

So c'mon out and spend a Sunday evening with friends and music! If the
weather is nice (and damn, it sure has been lately!) I might even have part
of this show outdoors in the backyard....

here's the Facebook "event" - feel free to invite folks!
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=117873011561108

Yrs,
Craig

  • 4/25 House show w/ Hiss Golden Messenger / Viking Moses! / Golden Ghost, Craig Powell, 04/15/2010