ch-scene - [Internationalist] DIY skillshares! Really Really Free Market + movie!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] DIY skillshares! Really Really Free Market + movie!
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:50:08 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919.942.1740
Open 11 AM to 8 PM, Mon-Sat; 12 to 6 PM Sun
www.internationalistbooks.org

IN THIS EMAIL:

1) DIY Gynecology / Herbalism Skillshare Tomorrow! (Thurs, 4/1)
2) Really Really Free Market (Sat, 4/3)
3) Movie this Saturday Night: Pump Up the Volume
4) New magazines in stock!
5) More upcoming events!

1) DIY GYNECOLOGY / HERBALISM SKILLSHARE TOMORROW! (THURS 4/1, 6-8 PM)

Announcing SPRINGTIME SKILLSHARES!

This spring, every Thursday, the Internationalist will host a series
of skillshares! The first one is right around the corner!

April 1st, 6-8 PM: DIY Gynecology / Herbalism

An introduction to understanding and taking care of your gynecological system
with a special focus on self-care and herbal wellness. For people of all ages.

Other upcoming skillshares:

April 8: Sex and Consent
April 15: How to Hold Your Own in a Political Debate
April 22: How to: DIY
April 29th Street Art

2) REALLY REALLY FREE MARKET + MOVIE! (SAT, 4/3)

The Really Really Free Market!
Saturday, April 3, 2-4 pm
Carrboro Town Commons

Bring something to share, take something you need! Carrboro's
legendary community event, now five and a half years running,
demonstrates the viability of an economy based on sharing rather than
competition. Give and receive clothes, home furnishings, hot food and
groceries, games, books, and so much more...

3) ...followed by a REALLY REALLY FREE MOVIE!!

Pump Up the Volume
Saturday, April 3, 7:30 pm

The classic 1980s teen rebel movie starring heartthrob Christian
Slater as a pirate radio DJ who bucks the authorities of his small
Arizona town. When his parents give him a short-wave radio so he can
talk to his pals, he sets up shop as pirate deejay Hard Harry, who
becomes a hero to his peers while inspiring the wrath of the local
high school principal. When one of Harry's listeners commits suicide
and Harry-inspired chaos breaks out at the school, the authorities are
called in to put a stop to Harry's broadcasts. Don't miss it! Snacks
provided!

4) NEW MAGAZINES IN STOCK!

We've got some brand new titles in the store to keep things fresh. In
addition to local favorite Rolling Thunder's recently released 9th
issue, here are some magazines gracing our shelves for the first time:

*Wilderness Way - primitive skills, earth wisdom, self-reliance
*Back Home - your hands on guide to sustainable living
*Naturally - nude living and recreation
*Tan - skinnydipping all over
*N - the magazine of naturist living
*Diva - lesbian life and style
*Treating Yourself - the alternative medicine journal
*GreenCraft - creating today, preserving tomorrow
*Bee Culture - catch the buzz
*Small Farm Today - town & country landholder

And as always, we've got your progressive and radical favorites -
Adbusters, Bitch, Bust, Left Turn, Earth First!, Z, Progressive, and
tons more, plus plenty of arts and cultural mags such as Found,
Cabinet, Art Papers, Juxtapoz, and more. Check 'em out!

5) MORE UPCOMING EVENTS!

-READING INSURRECTION: WEEKLY READING GROUP
*Reading Insurrection* is a facilitated reading group meeting every
Wednesday from 8 to 10 PM, exploring contemporary insurrectionary
anarchist and critical theory. Every Wednesday at 8 PM, join local
radicals in dissecting and discussing different texts on themes
ranging from biopolitics to rupture to small-c communism to global
social war. For more information or details on readings, email
reading.insurrection.nc AT gmail.com.

Upcoming Schedule:
3/31, 4/14, 4/21, 4/28: Rupture & Party/Violence (Benjamin, Deleuze,
Guattari, Schmitt, Baudrillard)

TUES, 4/13, 7:30 PM: INDUSTRIAL WORKERS OF THE WORLD (IWW) MEETING
More info coming soon! http://www.iww.org

THURS, 4/15, 8 PM: BLINGO BANGO BINGO!
It's time for drag bingo! Come out for a night of performances,
prizes, fabulous outfits, and ridiculous frenzied gambling, all hosted
by your favorite local prison abolitionists. It's a benefit for the
Chapel Hill Prison Books Collective- more info at www.prisonbooks.info.

This event will take place at Nightlight, located at 405 1/2 W.
Rosemary St. in Chapel Hill.

MON, 4/19, 7 PM: POLITICAL PRISONER LETTER/CARD WRITING NIGHT
Join us for the latest in our monthly series of Political Prisoner
Letter Writing night events, as folks gather to write letters and send
birthday cards to some of the political prisoners locked up in the US
whose birthdays take place in April. Come out and show your support
for folks on the inside. Here are some of the prisoners whose
birthdays come this month:

*Chuck Sims Africa
*Janet Holloway Africa
*Janine Phillips Africa
*Romaine "Chip" Fitzgerald
*Marshal Eddie Conway
*Mumia Abu-Jamal

Did we miss a birthday? Do you have a birthday you want to make sure
we include? Contact us for any reason: ppbirthday AT riseup.net

TUES, 4/20, 7 PM: READING GROUP- "WE ARE AN IMAGE OF THE FUTURE: THE
GREEK RIOTS OF DECEMBER 2008"
Following up on our exciting presentation and discussion by the
authors of this book back in February, the Internationalist welcomes
all interested in the recent riots in Greece to join us for a reading
group to discuss "We Are an Image From the Future: The Greek Revolt of
December 2008" (AK Press, 2010).

What causes a city, then a whole country, to explode? How did one
neighborhood's outrage over the tragic death of one teenager transform
itself into a generalized insurrection against State and capital,
paralyzing an entire nation for a month?

This is a book about the murder of fifteen-year-old Alexis
Grigoropoulos, killed by the police in the Exarchia neighborhood of
Athens on December 6th, 2008, and of the revolution in the streets
that followed, bringing business as usual in Greece to a screeching,
burning halt for three marvelous weeks, and putting the fear of
history back into the bureaucrats of Fortress Europe and beyond.

We Are an Image From the Future delves into the December insurrection
and its aftermath through interviews with those who witnessed and
participated in it, alongside the communiqués and texts that
circulated through the networks of revolt. It provides the
on-the-ground facts needed to understand these historic events, and
also dispels the myths activists outside of Greece have constructed
around them. What emerges is not just the intensity of the riots, but
the stories of organizing and solidarity, the questions of strategy
and tactics: a desperately needed examination of the fabric of the
Greek movements that made December possible.

The book will be available for sale soon at the Internationalist for
$17.00 - just $15.30 if you're a member of the bookstore. Check out
more about the book at
http://akpress.org/2010/items/weareanimagefromthefuture. You can read
more about the VOID Network in Athens, Greece at
http://voidnetwork.blogspot.com/.

MON 4/26, 7 PM: READING GROUP - "THE VEGETARIAN MYTH"
Join us at Internationalist Books as we discuss Lierre Keith's
controversial new book "The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice and
Sustainability" (PM Press, 2009). Derrick Jensen says this book "saved
his life", while Alice Walker calls it "one of the most important
books we can read" - yet radical vegans delivered a cream pie to the
face of the author during her reading at the 2010 San Francisco
Anarchist Bookfair! What's all the fuss about?

From the author's website: "We?ve been told that a vegetarian diet
can feed the hungry, honor the animals, and save the planet. Lierre
Keith believed in that plant-based diet and spent twenty years as a
vegan. But in The Vegetarian Myth, she argues that we?ve been led
astray--not by our longings for a just and sustainable world, but by
our ignorance.

The truth is that agriculture is a relentless assault against the
planet, and more of the same won?t save us. In service to annual
grains, humans have devastated prairies and forests, driven countless
species extinct, altered the climate, and destroyed the topsoil--the
basis of life itself. Keith argues that if we are to save this planet,
our food must be an act of profound and abiding repair: it must come
from inside living communities, not be imposed across them.

Part memoir, part nutritional primer, and part political manifesto,
The Vegetarian Myth will challenge everything you thought you knew
about food politics."

What do you think? Come by the Internationalist to discuss and debate
Keith's arguments. Vegans, omnivores, and folks of all dietary
persuasions are invited. Copies are for sale at the store for $20.00
each - just $18.00 if you're a member! Don't miss this chance to
debate key contemporary political issues of ecology, diet, animal
rights, and freedom with other passionate radicals!

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: