ch-scene - Broad Street Cafe - GREAT Music This Week! (well, every week,

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Broad Street Cafe - GREAT Music This Week! (well, every week,
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 07:46:03 -0700 (PDT)

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street Cafe www.TheBroadStreetCafe.c=
om

We continue our new Sunday Night Jazz lineup this coming Sunday with
some very talented guys... Sound Syndicate. These young musicians
really bring a fresh approach to what jazz is really all about. We
hope you can join us.

As always, to see full descriptions AND links to all the band/
performer info, go here:
http://www.thebroadstreetcafe.com/events.html

Wednesday, March 17
=95 8P Continuum Blues Jam

Thursday, March 18
=95 8P Ann Humphreys
=95 10pm The Stray Dogs (roots/americana/country)

Friday, March 19
=95 7pm - T.I.E. Resource Centers Inc. Benefit Concert featuring jazz
vocal musician Lenora Zenzalai Helm

Saturday, March 20
=95 8P Paul Daniel (folk rock/acoustic)
=95 10P Bitterman
=95 11P Bobby's Fever (surf/punk/rock)

Sunday, March 21
=95 7:30P Sound Syndicate (jazz)

---DETAILS---

Wednesday, March 17
=95 8P Continuum Blues Jam- Come out to the Blues Jam every other
Wednesday sponsored by Continuum Consulting Services. Butch Haas will
be facilitating this free-to-the-public jam. So bring your gear, sign
up for a time, and jam with some of Durham=92s finest! Drums, keyboard,
bass, guitar and harp amps provided.

Thursday, March 18
=95 8P Ann Humphreys
Ann Humphreys got her first guitar as a high-school graduation present
from her grandmother, who always thought she had the prettiest voice.
A native North Carolinian, she grew up listening to and singing along
with her dad's bluegrass and cosmic cowboy albums. In the last few
years she has been lucky enough to sing and play with John Howie Jr.
of the Two Dollar Pistols, Greg Hawks of The Tremblers, and her
immensely talented brother Greg Humphreys, of the legendary pop group
Dillon Fence and local soul band Hobex. Her clear soprano voice has
both the ring and the ache of our best-loved country divas.

=95 10pm The Stray Dogs (roots/americana/country)
Take heartfelt vocals, the distinct sound of a Fender guitar, a
rockin=92 rhythm section and mix them up so you can hear the
instruments, listen to the story and tap your feet - that's what we
are all about. We=92re gonna take some country, some honky-tonk, some
rock n roll, some Chuck Berry, some Johnny Cash, some Tom Petty, some
Memphis, some Nashville, and some Bakersfield and stew it in a big pot
and serve you a heaping helping of rockin=92 music. You will not be
disappointed.

Friday, March 19
=95 7pm - T.I.E. Resource Centers Inc. Benefit Concert featuring jazz
vocal musician Lenora Zenzalai Helm

TICKETS can be purchased here:
http://www.thebroadstreetcafe.com/Announcements/Official%20Butterfly%...

Lenora Zenzalai Helm, award winning jazz vocal musician, composer,
lyricist and educator will perform a concert of songs from her new CD
Chronicles of a Butterfly at Broad Street Cafe, Durham, NC on Friday,
March 19, 2010 at 7 pm.

The concert is a benefit for Durham based nonprofit, T.I.E. Resource
Centers, Inc.
The events for the evening include a 7 pm guest reception with
selected menu, followed by a live concert at 8 pm where Ms. Helm will
be joined by many of her fellow faculty from the music department of
NCCU, Ed Paolantonio, piano; Baron Tymas, guitar and Durham native,
A.J. Brown, acoustic bass. Guest performers include Ira Wiggins,
saxophone and flute, members of the NCCU Vocal Jazz Ensemble. The
evening will conclude with Helm autographing her CDs while guests
enjoy the delicious menu of Broad Street Cafe. Public radio station,
WNCU 90.7 FM, (www.WNCU.org) is one of the promotional partners
onboard to support Helm=92s Chronicles of a Butterfly: A Story of
Transformation. Spotlight Benefit Auctions will be the Auctioneer for
this fundraising event on March 19th.

More links to info about the Butterfly Concerts:
http://www.thebutterflyconcerts.org/
http://thebutterflyconcerts.com/

Saturday, March 20
=95 8P Paul Daniel (folk rock/acoustic)
Paul Daniel is a powerful singer/songwriter and guitarist from
Raleigh, North Carolina. Paul thrives on the raw purity of one man and
one instrument, yet is always pushing for an even fuller folk rock
sound. His guitar work is layered and complex drawing influences from,
rock, blues, country, bluegrass and folk. Imagine Bruce Springsteen,
Mark Knopfler, Norman Blake and Jerry Garcia all channeled into one
guitar. The result is a rich foundation for songs with vivid scenes,
lingering stories and unforgettable lyrics.

=95 10P Bitterman

=95 11P Bobby's Fever (surf/punk/rock)
After moving from Los Angeles and posting a craigslist ad for band
mates, Lars Endrigat is teamed up with locals Ryan McKellar, (Soda Pop
& Ritalin, Butter, former Autocade) on drums and Dan Streib (The
Future Kings of Nowhere and Resist Not) on bass. Self-proclaimed as a
garage symphony, Bobby=92s Fever are loud and in your face as they hope
to inspire you to shake your ass and bang your head. Drawing
inspiration from such bands as The Ramones, Weezer, Rancid, and
Nirvana as singer/guitarist Bobby Lars=92 child-like vocal gravel and
heavy guitar riffs mesh with Bobby Ryans ever pounding drums and Bobby
Streibs bass lines.

Sunday, March 21
=95 7:30P Sound Syndicate (jazz)
Four young but serious musicians trying to capture the essense of
American music through the traditions of jazz. Including Christian
Dashiell on bass, JC Martin on guitar, Larry Q. Draughn on drums and
Myk'l Hanna on vocals.

The Broad Street Cafe 1116 Broad Street Cafe www.TheBroadStreetCafe.c=
om

  • Broad Street Cafe - GREAT Music This Week! (well, every week,, BSC, 03/15/2010