ch-scene - stuff to do, week of January 28, 2010

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of January 28, 2010
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 21:56:47 -0500

Thursday, January 28
Cool John Ferguson (http://www.musicmaker.org/artistroster/Cooljohn.htm)
The Pinhook, Durham

The website said 7:30 - 10:30.

Thursday, January 28
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Jack Topht with The Vegetables (http://www.myspace.com/jacktophtwiththevegetables)
Marvell Building, Durham

Jews & Catholics are a Winston-Salem-based duo (electric guitar, standup bass, drum machine) who make kinda freaky dark post-industrial postpunk pop.

Thursday, January 28
Goner (http://www.gonertheband.com/)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Static Minds
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Magic Babies are Badfinger-inspired 70s-style power-pop. Goner are longtime Raleigh fixtures who write emotive (but not "emo") songs about watching the college kids stay the same age while you just keep getting older.

Static Minds are an old-fashioned sex-and-drugs-and-rock-and-roll band.

Thursday, January 28
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Aminal (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Two things are certain in this world: Dry Heathens are a fucking great rock-n-roll band, and they do love some beer. This, then, is altogether fitting (and awesome):

"Triangle Brewing's 'Something vs. Nothing' Cask Night
The boys at Triangle will be providing us with two cask conditioned beers - Cask One (Something) will be the Winter Stout with Coffee and Seville Oranges - - Cask Two (Nothing) will be the IPA with additional dry hopping. These casks are being created for The Dry Heathens... but we will be tapping them around 6pm so the dinner crowd can enjoy them as well."

Thursday, January 28
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Zardoz
Morose Vitality (http://www.myspace.com/morosevitalityband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 28
Straight 8s (http://www.straight8s.com)
Supersuckers (http://www.supersuckers.com/)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Last time I saw the Supersuckers, if I recall correctly, was sometime in 1994, in Houston TX, with Picasso Trigger. And by "saw" I think I mean "saw them hanging around the bar in their silly hats."

Friday, January 29
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
The Beast
Tea & Tempests (http://www.myspace.com/teatempests)
Trotter Building, Durham

This is a Save Our Arts benefit for the Central Park School For Children, which is right there on Foster Street, across & up from Manbites Dog, and just around the corner from the Trotter Building, which is on Geer between Foster & Riggsbee (and itself just a quarter-block from the imminent new home of Fullsteam Brewery). It's a great neighborhood, an awesome cause, and five of the best bands in Durham. 6 pm, $10 suggested donation.

Friday, January 29
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Free Electric State (http://www.myspace.com/freeelectricstate)
DeVries (http://www.myspace.com/devriesmusic)
The Pinhook, Durham

This is a reschedule from a couple of weeks ago, when the show was canceled due to Deadly Winter Weather. So what's in the forecast for this weekend (starting Friday night)? Deadly Winter Weather. Sigh. These bands should probably be kept far apart from each other, for the good of the entire Triangle.

12:00 - Fin Fang Foom
11:00 - Free Electric State
10:00 - Gray Young
9:00 - deVries

Friday, January 29
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Ryan Gustafson (http://www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic)
The Light Pines (http://www.myspace.com/lightpines)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

There are these really awesome folks over in the Triad called the dotmatrix project. They put on rockshows & make high-quality recordings of them, and then release those recordings via amiestreet.

Tonight they're taking their show on the road, all the way here to Durham, to put on a free show with Drughorse collective members Max Indian, Ryan Gustafson, and Love Language spinoffs The Light Pines.

Friday, January 29
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 29
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
Pine Hill Haints (http://www.myspace.com/pinehillhaints)
Those Darlins (http://www.myspace.com/darlins)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Independent was at it again this week, dissing both Those Darlins and the Pine Hill Haints. I don't know much/anything about those two bands, and I honestly couldn't care less.

What irks me is that no attempt was made to clarify the fact that Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies fuckin RULE, leaving them damned by association with two outta-town bands they just happen to be sharing a bill with.

Saturday, January 30
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Gary B and the Notions (http://www.myspace.com/garybandthenotions)
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
Imperial China (http://www.myspace.com/imperialchina)
The Pinhook, Durham

Depending on who you ask, this may or may not be a solo outing for HNMTF bassist/singer Duncan Webster.

Veelee's recent short tour up the east coast kicked off on Day 1 with a dead van, so show 'em a little extra love.

Saturday, January 30
Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
The Roadside Graves (http://www.myspace.com/theroadsidegraves)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

First show in what seems like forever for Soft Company, which is the songwriting outlet of Missy Thangs, who spends most of her time nowadays playing keyboards in The Love Language. Soft Company's debut EP wound up at #11 on WXDU's top-80 North Carolina releases of 2009, so sleep not on this one.

Saturday, January 30
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Minor Stars (http://www.myspace.com/minorstars)
DeVries (http://www.myspace.com/devriesmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release for the Minor Stars' debut, "The Death of the Sun in the Silver Sea," about which you can read a whole lot in this week's indy.

Saturday, January 30
Man Will Destroy Himself
Destroyed Tradition (http://destroyedtradition.com)
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, January 31
Countdown Quartet (http://www.countdownq.com/)
John Howie
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Terry Anderson (http://www.terryandersonrocks.com/)
The Small Ponds
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

This is a combination Groundhog Day Awareness Concert and Benefit for a longtime Raleighite & friend to the bands in question who, yes, is having trouble paying medical bills. Fuck this fucking country sometimes. Jeebus.

Anyway, here's the lineup, it's a doozy, including a reunited Countdown Quartet:

The Oak Team featuring Terry Anderson's Member
Countdown Quartet
The Small Ponds (Caitlin Cary and Matt Douglas)
John Howie and Billie Feather
Kenny Roby and Scott McCall
Big Machete (with members of Kickin Grass)

Raffles, Silent Auctions, Bakes Sale and more! 4:00 p.m.

Sunday, January 31
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Americans in France released their debut LP, "Pretzelvania," last spring on Odessa Records; it wound up being in my top-10 for 2009. I simply cannot get enough of their severely screwed-around take on art-pop-rock-n-roll. "Ooooooohs" in all the wrong places. Amazing. 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, January 31
The Physics of Meaning (http://www.thephysicsofmeaning.com/)
Butterflies (http://www.myspace.com/butterfliesnc)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Monday, February 1
Soundpainting Orchestra
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Triangle Soundpainting Orchestra and Nightlight Club in Chapel Hill present:

"TSPO open process residency" - an educational process oriented rehearsal/performance series on Monday nights in February, 2010 (Feb 1, 8, 15, qnd 22). Join us as we explore issues in improvisation/composition/ group creative process. Each Monday night our group will explore challenges such as "creating spontaneous changes within melodic and rhythmic structures," "fluency within specific styles and genres," "consonance and dissonance," and "group listening and dynamics." Every event will introduce exercises that you can use in your own groups, and will also allow for participation from audience members. You’ll learn about the Soundpainting language, and will have an opportunity to direct and be soundpainted during certain sessions.

Monday, February 1
Old Bricks
Wild Yaks (http://www.myspace.com/boyhoodforever)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, February 2
Wild Wild Geese
The Silent League
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of January 28, 2010, grady, 01/27/2010