ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of January 21, 2010

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "David J. Zielinski" <djzielin AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of January 21, 2010
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:31:01 -0500

Also,

Monday January 25th.
Evan Greer, Geppetta, and Jonathan Thompson
queer folk-punk, whimsy-core puppetry, and folk
7pm
BCHQ

http://www.bullcityhq.org/
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=234836072510

Evan Greer is a singer/songwriter, community organizer, and popular
educator based in Boston. He writes and performs high-energy acoustic
songs that inspire hope, build community, and incite resistance! At 24
years old, he tours internationally and performs inspiring music to
support movements for justice and liberation. With his fiercely
radical songs varying in style from punk-folk to foot-stomp’n
bluegrass, Evan has shared the stage with artists as diverse as folk
legend Pete Seeger, underground hip-hop star Boots Riley, Rage Against
the Machine guitarist Tom Morello, and rapper Immortal Technique.
Recently, Evan toured across the country with activist hip-hop group
Broadcast Live as part of the Steal Strings and Breakbeats tour.

Currently based in Philadelphia, Geppetta creates mystical creatures
and imaginary, yet nostalgic landscapes from recycled materials with a
whimsical fervor. Her work features enchanting stories as told through
puppet theater, multimedia art, and ukulele stylings that has been
described as “mournful but ingenious” with delightful twists and
turns. Her performance style has an ever-evolving nature that spills
from theaters to subway cars, galleries to street corners and
interweaves social justice issues, such as transgender liberation,
queer activism, environmental justice, post-colonial struggles, youth
education, and mental health support. Geppetta has been featured
nationally with the Tranny Roadshow, the Femme Show, Puppet Uprising,
Fresh Meat Productions, and Red Sun Press.

Jonathan Thompson. Somewhere between Woody Guthrie, Jeff Buckley,
Billy Bragg, and your average community musician in your average
village in berber North Africa, stands Don Coyote, ie Jonathan
Thompson, ie Sir Sirocco. Armed with a backpack, an instrument or two,
and a field recorder, Jonathan acted as self-appointed Musical
Ambassador from the United States of Humanity to North Africa and the
Middle East from 2007 – 2009, serving meandering posts in Morocco,
Mauritania, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon. Before that, he
traveled and lived extensively in Europe, North America, and Latin
America. He currently resides in Durham, North Carolina, and he hosts
the monthly open mic at the Pinhook in downtown Durham. In summer
2008, he went on a hitchhiking Streetbusking Tour of North America,
making appearances in a dozen or fifteen cities. Later that year, he
also played busking shows in a number of cities in Spain and Portugal.
Since 2007, Jonathan has recorded 4 albums & EP's under the moniker
Don Coyote, all of them single-take undubbed efforts. In December 2009
he recorded the self-titled EP Sir Sirocco, a multilayered oceanic
wash comprised entirely of loud electric oud and vocals.