ch-scene - Re: guitar shops in Birmingham, AL

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Dan_Tucker <danharris90 AT msn.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: guitar shops in Birmingham, AL
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 21:39:24 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 7, 1:29=A0pm, marymar... AT gmail.com (Mary Brunnemer) wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a guitar shop in Birmingham, Alabama besides Guitar
> Center? Their online reviews call them the Wal-mart of music stores, whic=
> doesn't sound so good.
>
> thanks,
> mary
> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --http://lists.i=
biblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene

Highland Guitars has an excellent electric, amp, and acoustic
selection. They often have lots of good used unstruments.They also
have a couple of good guitar techs. Fretted Instruments of Homewood
is smaller and they specialize in acoustic guitar and bluegrass.
Fretted Instruments does good set-ups and is probably the oldest shop
in town. Guitar Gallery has a good guitar tech and is known for their
high end guitars. Bailey Brothers has 2 stores in Birmingham area and
usually keep a couple of hundred guitars on hand. They service
bluegrass and rock players. They have good prices but I have never had
any work done by them. They will push to make a sale. Homewood
Musical Instruments is a very small shop, almost a boutique shop you
might say. The owner, Ted, is a good musician and can restore old
instruments. He generally has a small selection of decent instruments.
He's known worldwide for making excellent concertinas. Most of our
pawn shops sell guitars, but you have to know what you're doing to get
a good deal. Hope this helps...Dan