ch-scene - stuff to do, week of December 15, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of December 15, 2009
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:45:16 -0500

Tuesday, December 15
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
The Trekky Yuletide Orchestra (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/xmasfront.html)
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The Trekky Yuletide Orchestra have been hosting this annual holiday show at the Cradle for 4-5 years now, and every year it's the highlight of the season. A great mix of bands goofing it up with a mix of holiday classics & original winter-themed material. Here's the full lineup (not necessarily in order):

Hosted by Billy Sugarfix
Trekky Yuletide Orchestra
Dexter Romweber
Stuart McLamb (of The Love Language)
Des Ark
Whatever Brains
Organos
Veelee
Birds and Arrows
Mount Weather
Lonnie Walker

Tuesday, December 15
Big Hell (http://www.myspace.com/bighell)
Cage (http://www.myspace.com/cagekennylz)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, December 16
Ben Davis + The Jetts (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html)
Inspector 22
Bobby's Fever (http://www.myspace.com/bobbysfever)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Ben Davis & the Jetts have a new CD out, but I haven't heard it yet (wassup Lovitt?). I can only assume it's awesome, because that's the only word I know to describe Ben Davis. And tall. That's another good one.

Inspector 22 broke all kinds of records this year by releasing not one but two crazed albums of rudimentary lo-fi death-obsessed folk-n-noise.

Wednesday, December 16
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
97-Shiki (http://www.myspace.com/97shiki)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, December 17
The Scene of the Crime Rovers (http://www.myspace.com/sceneofthecrimerovers)
Sea Cow
The Kinksmen (http://www.myspace.com/jeffhoo)
The Pinhook, Durham

This is a rare-as-hens-teeth indoor show for the Scene of the Crime Rovers. Don't miss it!

11:00 - The Kinksmen
10:00 - Sea Cow
9:00 - The SOC Rovers

Thursday, December 17
Mike Dillon (http://www.myspace.com/hollaifyaheardme)
Tickley Feather (http://www.myspace.com/tickleyfeather)
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
My Empty Phantom (http://www.myspace.com/emptyphantommusic)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Veelee are the Carrboro pop duo who're taking Chapel Hill by storm. Or the other way around. Mike Dillon is currently involved in at least two bands, Gross Ghost & Motor Skills, but it's probably more like 18.

Oh yeah, Tickley Feather is on Paw Tracks, in case the name wasn't hint enough.

Thursday, December 17
Bright Young Things
Old Bricks
Sea Legs
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is the weekly Local Bands, Local Beers.

Thursday, December 17
Proof (http://www.prooftheband.org)
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Young fuzz-punk-pop upstarts meet the old men of angular postpunk.

Friday, December 18
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Free Electric State (http://www.myspace.com/freeelectricstate)
The Pinhook, Durham

If you're looking for an overview of the guitar-based indie-rock sound of the Triangle in 2009, this is a pretty good place to start. One old band, one young band, one young band of oldsters. None of them sound remotely like Superchunk; they all sound like NC circa now.

12:00 - Fin Fang Foom
11:00 - Free Electric State
10:00 - Gray Young

Friday, December 18
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Scott McCall
Tim Stambaugh
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, December 18
Mayflies USA (http://www.bigshoe.com/mayflies)
The Connells (http://www.theconnells.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Thumbnail: the Mayflies USA were the Connells of the 90s.

Friday, December 18
Impossible Arms
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
Drunk Tigers (http:www.myspace.com/drunktigers)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

What may or may not be your last chance to see Americans In France, whose debut, Pretzelvania, may or may not be my local album of the year.

Saturday, December 19
Gambling the Muse (http://www.myspace.com/gamblingthemuse)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
The Whisky Smugglers
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is billed as a Holiday Honky Tonk & Burlesque Show & features Burlesque Performances by Miss Mary Wanna.

Saturday, December 19
Evil Wiener (http://www.evilwienerworld.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

It's the umpteenth annual Evil Wiener Christmas Show! Theremins! Elves! Chuck pitching his annual fit about not wanting to wear a Santa hat! This is truly the most cherished of all Triangle holiday traditions.

Saturday, December 19
Inspector 22
Ghost to Falco (http://www.purevolume.com/GhosttoFalco)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Eric Crespo, prime-mover behind Ghost to Falco, used to live around here & was in a pretty great Triad band called Question Rig back in the early days/weeks/months of this decade.

Saturday, December 19
Chatham County Line (http://www.chathamcountyline.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Saturday, December 19
Static Minds
Revolutionary Sweethearts
The Julies
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

It's a 35th birthday party for Static Minds' Erik Sugg.

Sunday, December 20
Inspector 22
Reid Johnson
Kirk Ross
Clarque Blomquist
Milltown, Carrboro

This is an early show (7 - 9 p.m.) featuring short solo acoustic sets, as occasionally happens on Sundays at Milltown.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of December 15, 2009, grady, 12/15/2009