ch-scene - stuff to do, week of November 21, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of November 21, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:44:42 -0500

Saturday, November 21
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
Jakuta & Carl (http://jnc.hlinak.com/)
Disposable Thumbs (http://www.myspace.com/disposablethumbs)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

If you dance hard enough you might not shiver to death in the unheated BCHQ space.

Saturday, November 21
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Waumiss (http://www.myspace.com/waumiss)
Actual Persons (Living or Dead) (http://www.myspace.com/actualpersonslivingordead)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is a benefit for Pet Overpopulation Patrol. Wigg Report are Durham's finest guerilla-antifolk band, although ever since Ben Riseling joined the band on sax & keyboards they've expanded/exploded into the realm of long-form demented genius drone-pop as well.

Speaking of demented genius drone-pop, that describes at least a small percentage of the output of crazed self-contained Carrboro duo Waumiss. Rounding out the bill is Actual Persons Living or Dead, one of a half-dozen bands involving Dave Cantwell, and fronted by Joyce Ventimiglia (ex-America's Next Top Models & Holy Roman Empire).

Saturday, November 21
Height
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Thank You (http://www.thrilljockey.com/artists/?id=11346)
Brian Corum
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 21
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Pistil (http://myspace.com/pistilband)
Morningbell (http://www.myspace.com/morningbell)
The Pinhook, Durham

Saturday, November 21
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Bel Air
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, November 22
Tin Star (http://www.myspace.com/tinstarnc)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Third time's the charm! First they were sick, then I was sick. There's pretty much nobody left to get sick, so Tin Star actually should be going on-air at 4:00 p.m. -- 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, November 22
Jason Kutchma
Reese McHenry
Peter Mattison
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is a songwriters-in-the-round type of thing, featuring Jason Kutchma of Red Collar & Reese McHenry of the Dirty Little Heaters. Note that it used to be at the Berkeley but has now been moved to Tir Na nOg.

Monday, November 23
Flicker (http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is the edition of Flicker where the results of the "Attack of the 50-foot Reels" project/contest come back for screening. The idea is that teams get together on one Saturday to script & shoot a short film using one 50-foot reel of super-8 film, edited in-camera (i.e. shot sequentially & with no outtakes/do-overs). This year's results will be shown tonight.

Monday, November 23
Randy Pelosi (http://www.umbrellarecordings.com/pelosi/index.html)
Jamie Stewart (http://www.myspace.com/xiuxiuforlife)
Blues Control (http://www.myspace.com/bluescontrol)
Ethan Clauset
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Randy Pelosi & Ethan Clauset will be performing an improv set together; you'll also get a more "out" set from Xiu Xiu mainman Jamie Stewart, aka the Most Durham-Hating Durham Resident Evar.

Monday, November 23
Mount Weather
Free Energy (http://www.myspace.com/freeenergymusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, November 24
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Michael Holland (http://www.bigjohnsrecords.com)
Greg Humphreys
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is the second edition of Greg Humphreys' (Dillon Fence, Hobex) new songwriters series. This session features Michael Holland (ex-Jennyanykind) and Kenny Roby (ex-Six String Drag), both of whom have had long & varied solo careers after the demise of their onetime bands.

Wednesday, November 25
Mietek Glinkowski Trio (http://www.myspace.com/mietekglinkowskitrio)
Mahlon Hoard (http://www.myspace.com/goprov)
Slicnaton (http://www.myspace.com/slicnaton)
The Pinhook, Durham

Local avant/improv jazz:

9:00 - The Mietek Glinkowski Trio
8:00 - Mahlon Hoard
7:00 - Slicnaton

Wednesday, November 25
Butterflies (http://www.myspace.com/butterfliesnc)
Ah Holly Family (http://www.myspace.com/ahhollyfamly)
Ohioan (http://www.myspace.com/oryne)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, November 25
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Simeon
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, November 25
Motor Skills
Little Dragon (http://www.myspace.com/yourlittledragon)
Lands of Wonder (http://www.myspace.com/landsofwonder)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, November 26
NAPS
Felix the Drum Machine
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Yes, Thanksgiving night. Both these bands are [re]combinations of members of Annuals, Lonnie Walker & the Future Islands. Here's more from music.mync.com: http://music.mync.com/2009/11/naps-add-thanksgiving-show-with-felix-the-drum-machine/

Friday, November 27
Katharine Whalen's Lucky (http://www.myspace.com/ncluckyband)
Old Habits (http://www.old-habits.com/)
Jon Shain, Will McFarlane, Danny Gotham, and Armand Lenchek
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

It's the Cradle's annual Jon Shain-helmed post-Thanksgiving show.

Friday, November 27
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
2.5
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

You probably know about Future Islands & Gray Young by now. I lifted this from the Berkeley's website but I suspect they pulled it from somewhere else unidentified: "2.5 seems an unlikely side project for Andy Townsend and Erick Murrillo from The Kickass— unless you remember Erick's involvement with Future Island's prototype, Art Lord And The Self Portraits. Still surprising is the laid-back down tempo approach applied to their recordings so far— a little jazzy here and there, with subtle hints of glitch with enough groove to keep your head bobbing a little."

Friday, November 27
Hobex (http://www.hobex.com)
Jeanne Jolly
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, November 27
919Noise Showcase
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 28
Fake Problems (http://www.fakeproblems.com)
Bobby's Fever (http://www.myspace.com/bobbysfever)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 28
John Howie, Jr. & The Rosewood Bluff (http://www.myspace.com/rosewoodbluff)
The Darnell Woodies (http://www.myspace.com/thedarnellwoodies)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 28
Thad Cockrell (http://www.thadcockrell.com/)
Civil Wars
Pour House, Raleigh

Saturday, November 28
Israel Darling (http://www.myspace.com/israeldarling)
Mark Holland's Rhythm Force (http://www.myspace.com/mhollandsrhythmforce)
Jeremy Blair from Effingham
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 29
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Dan Melchior und das Menace (http://www.myspace.com/dasmenace)
GTRS
2702 Lawndale, Durham

Craig, who lives at 2702 Lawndale, says:

DAN MELCHIOR und DAS MENACE -- the most recent addition to the bill, are a band I've been waiting to see for quite a while! I couldn't ask for a cooler b-day present than having them play here at the house...They haven't played in Durham in a few years but in the meantime Dan has been *extremely* prolific, having released dozens of songs - *all* of them top notch lo-fi garage rock + psych-pop nuggets! He moved to Durham after living in the UK most of his life, where he often collaborated with Billy Childish and Holly Golightly amongst other garage rock badasses... Their show at Nightlight last night has left me even more psyched to see them play here at the layabout house!! http://www.myspace.com/dasmenace

SPIDER BAGS --- KILLED IT here at the house when they played with Thomas Function and Yussuf Jerusalem a couple months back. If you missed out then, you now have been granted a MAGICAL B-DAY OPPORTUNITY to witness the fucking unbelievable rock'n'roll superpowers that this band conjures up...in my living room!!! http://myspace.com/spiderbags

GTRS --- are from Houston, and they'll stop off and play this one date at my house fresh from playing a VICE records showcase in ATL - these boys and girls are fresh and catchy (think Velvets, Television, Sonic Youth....but a lil' more TEXAS!) and yr gonna flip out i know it i know it...we all are!!! http://www.myspace.com/guitarszzzzz

PLUSSSSS: B-DAY surprises?!? Hi-JINKS! a fire pit for chilly people...and fireworks for explosion-loving-people!!!

definitely some food for early birds...maybe even a vegetarian potluck? (who's in??)

BYOB! and some $$$ for the bands!!! i don't need presents, but i wanna make sure the bands make some loot!!!

my house is at 2702 Lawndale Ave. Durham. (off of Hillsborough Rd., a block from Food Lion) and things get rollin at around 7pm with food'n'booze, and then bands at 8ish. since it's a Sunday, things won't run super-late...

Sunday, November 29
Malamondos (http://www.malamondos.com/)
The Queers (http://www.myspace.com/thequeers)
The Leftovers (http://www.myspace.com/theleftovers)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, November 30
The Dave Rawlings Machine (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=106309538)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Dave Rawlings is the longtime guitarist/musical partner of Gillian Welch. He has a new album out which features, among other things, a medley of Bright Eyes' Method Acting & Neil Young's Cortez the Killer.

Monday, November 30
Secret Boyfriend (http://www.myspace.com/scrtboyfriend)
Tiny Concept (http://www.myspace.com/tinyconcept)
Big Nuss
Ca$h $lave Clique (http://www.myspace.com/cashslaveclique)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, December 1
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
Western Civ. (http://westerncivrock.com)
Jay Reatard (http://www.myspace.com/jayreatard)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of November 21, 2009, grady, 11/21/2009