ch-scene - stuff to do, week of November 15, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of November 15, 2009
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:33:27 -0500

Sunday, November 15
Anders Parker
Hallelujah the Hills (http://hallelujahthehills.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 15
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Irata (http://myspace.com/iratalive)
Pushy Lips (http://www.myspace.com/pushylips)
Eszett (http://www.myspace.com/eszettrock)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sunday, November 15
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Old Bricks
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Old Bricks reminded me a bit of Grizzly Bear, but I've only seen 'em once. People keep ranting at me about their upcoming album, but I have yet to hear it.

Monday, November 16
The Dig (http://www.myspace.com/thedigisup)
The XX (http://www.myspace.com/thexx)
Jon Hopkins (http://www.myspace.com/jonhopkins)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, November 17
Dan Melchior und das Menace (http://www.myspace.com/dasmenace)
Hiss Golden Messenger
D. Charles Speer and the Helix
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, November 18
Triangle Soundpainting Orchestra
Locomotive with 6 Wheels of Steel
The Pinhook, Durham

Pinhook sez: "Triangle Soundpainting Orchestra Fundraiser! Get ready for a theme show called: TOTEM AIRLINES FLIGHT 779 - IT'S GONNA BE A BUMPY RIDE. The space will be decorated like an airplane loaded for a flight to Mecca. A stewardess will pass out cupcakes and barf bags."

9:30 - Triangle Sound Painting Orchestra
8:45 - Locomotive with 6 Wheels of Steel

Locomotive with 6 Wheels of Steel is some typically insane thing concocted by local artist/troublemaker Jim Kellough (full disclosure: he's my uncle, which may or may not explain anything).

Wednesday, November 18
Adam Arcuragi (http://www.adamarcuragi.net/)
Jay Cartwright
Tiny Mtns (http://www.myspace.com/tinymtns)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, November 18
John Howie
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Thursday, November 19
Melt-Banana (http://www.southern.com/southern/band/MELTB/)
Rocket Cottage
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I'll confess that I haven't seen Melt-Banana in at least a half-dozen years, but their stage show is so distinctive & so distinctly *theirs* that I can't really imagine it changing all that much. Holding down the slightly more "pop" end of the Japanoise spectrum, most of their songs translate live as 45-second bursts of hyperkinetic spazz with the singsongy jabber of frontwoman YAKO bouncing all over the top of it. It's a ton of fun & I'm sitting here wondering why it has been so long since I last saw them.

From their website's helpful FAQ: Q: Which album makes you frothy?

Answer: Human beings can live because they can forget things that they don't like.

Thursday, November 19
Hearts and Daggers (http://www.heartsanddaggers.com/ )
Hank Sinatra (http://www.hank-sinatra.com/)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Local Bands, Local Beers

Thursday, November 19
Naked Gods (http://www.myspace.com/nakedgods)
The Jet Age (http://www.myspace.com/thejetage)
Viva Viva (http://www.myspace.com/artsexdeathtime)
The Pinhook, Durham

Naked Gods are a sorta southern-rock band from Boone, but with an odd/interesting tendency towards brevity & the occasional slip into ambience/noise (at least on record).

Thursday, November 19
Weatherkings (http://www.myspace.com/weatherkingsband)
Pride Parade
Reservoir, Carrboro

Thursday, November 19
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Bright Young Things
Ponderosa
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, November 20
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Tenderhooks (http://www.myspace.com/tenderhooks)
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

These Campus Concert Series events take place during happy hour (around 5:30 or so) at the Armadillo Grill that's inside the Bryan Student Center on Duke's West Campus. They're free.

Friday, November 20
Amanda Palmer (http://www.amandapalmer.net)
Nervous Cabaret
ArtsCenter, Carrboro

Friday, November 20
Tonk
Marsh Woodwinds, Raleigh

Tonk is a new honky-tonk country supergroup from Raleigh, with a slight twist: frontman Graham Fry is better known in Raleigh for his guitar work in heavy bands Confessor and Leadfood, as well as the prog band Ozone Quartet. Bassist Ben Barwick is also in Mommie, but before that he sang & played guitar in indie-rockers the Ashley Stove. And drummer Bo Taylor fronted ultra-hot 90s power trio Motocaster & was one-half of Bandway.

Nevertheless, their manifesto plants them firmly on the side of straight-up country: "We play country music the way God intended it to be played, that is, country music pre-somewhere-around-1978. Heavy on the Ray Price shuffle-walking-bass-line sort of thing, but bleeding into a Waylon / Paycheck harder honkey tonk style. You know, anything before the Eagles and Pure Prairie League bent country music over a barrel and had their way with it."

Friday, November 20
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Bright Young Things
Ponderosa
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, November 20
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
The Dynamite Brothers (http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the new Dynamite Brothers CD, "Again." It has only been, what, like 7 years since their first/last album . . . no matter. The new one is another great high-energy slab of dirty guitar-driven southern blues-funk. Yes, I know that genre can be a total minefield/death-trip in the wrong hands, but you'll just have to trust me when I tell you that the Dynamite Brothers are The Right Hands.

Friday, November 20
Filthybird (http://www.myspace.com/filthybird)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Renee and Brian of Filthybird are in the process of moving out to Chatham County from Greensboro, which means we should be seeing a good bit more of them in the coming months. Which is awesome news, as their brand of soaring gtr/piano artrock, fueled by Renee's amazing/unearthly voice, is one of Central NC's most intriguing sounds & an undeservedly too-well-kept secret.

Friday, November 20
Heavy Trash (http://www.myspace.com/heavytrash)
Elliott Brood (http://www.myspace.com/elliottbrood)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Trash Explosion!

Friday, November 20
Monologue Bombs (http://www.myspace.com/themonologuebombs)
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
The Small Ponds
Pour House, Raleigh

This is the full-band debut of the Monologue Bombs, which is the long-running heretofore solo side-project of Goner singer/keyboardist Scott Phillips. It's also a chance to see the relatively young Small Ponds, which is a collaboration between Caitlin Cary and Matt Douglas of the Proclivities.

Friday, November 20
Ruscha (http://www.myspace.com/ruscha)
Gollum (http://www.myspace.com/gollum)
Make
Reservoir, Carrboro

Saturday, November 21
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
Jakuta & Carl (http://jnc.hlinak.com/)
Disposable Thumbs (http://www.myspace.com/disposablethumbs)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

If you dance hard enough you might not shiver to death in the unheated BCHQ space.

Saturday, November 21
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Waumiss (http://www.myspace.com/waumiss)
Actual Persons (Living or Dead) (http://www.myspace.com/actualpersonslivingordead)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is a benefit for Pet Overpopulation Patrol. Wigg Report are Durham's finest guerilla-antifolk band, although ever since Ben Riseling joined the band on sax & keyboards they've expanded/exploded into the realm of long-form demented genius drone-pop as well.

Speaking of demented genius drone-pop, that describes at least a small percentage of the output of crazed self-contained Carrboro duo Waumiss. Rounding out the bill is Actual Persons Living or Dead, one of a half-dozen bands involving Dave Cantwell, and fronted by Joyce Ventimiglia (ex-America's Next Top Models & Holy Roman Empire).

Saturday, November 21
Height
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Thank You (http://www.thrilljockey.com/artists/?id=11346)
Brian Corum
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, November 21
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Morningbell (http://www.myspace.com/morningbell)
The Pinhook, Durham

Saturday, November 21
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Bel Air
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, November 22
Tin Star (http://www.myspace.com/tinstarnc)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Third time's the charm! First they were sick, then I was sick. There's pretty much nobody left to get sick, so Tin Star actually should be going on-air at 4:00 p.m. -- 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, November 22
Jason Kutchma
Reese McHenry
Peter Mattison
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

This is a songwriters-in-the-round type of thing, featuring Jason Kutchma of Red Collar & Reese McHenry of the Dirty Little Heaters.

Monday, November 23
Flicker (http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is the edition of Flicker where the results of the "Attack of the 50-foot Reels" project/contest come back for screening. The idea is that teams get together on one Saturday to script & shoot a short film using one 50-foot reel of super-8 film, edited in-camera (i.e. shot sequentially & with no outtakes/do-overs). This year's results will be shown tonight.

Monday, November 23
Randy Pelosi (http://www.umbrellarecordings.com/pelosi/index.html)
Jamie Stewart (http://www.myspace.com/xiuxiuforlife)
Blues Control (http://www.myspace.com/bluescontrol)
Ethan Clauset
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Randy Pelosi & Ethan Clauset will be performing an improv set together; you'll also get a more "out" set from Xiu Xiu mainman Jamie Stewart, aka the Most Durham-Hating Durham Resident Evar.

Monday, November 23
Mount Weather
Free Energy (http://www.myspace.com/freeenergymusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, November 24
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Michael Holland (http://www.bigjohnsrecords.com)
Greg Humphreys
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is the second edition of Greg Humphreys' (Dillon Fence, Hobex) new songwriters series. This session features Michael Holland (ex-Jennyanykind) and Kenny Roby (ex-Six String Drag), both of whom have had long & varied solo careers after the demise of their onetime bands.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of November 15, 2009, grady, 11/15/2009