ch-scene - Broad Street Cafe - Troika! Kids Band! Jazz, Rock, Alt...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Broad Street Cafe - Troika! Kids Band! Jazz, Rock, Alt...
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 06:29:27 -0800 (PST)

The Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad Street
Durham, NC 27705
www.TheBroadStreetCafe.com

Wednesday November 4
=95 7:30P Open Mic Night
Open Mic is arranged to enable anyone to perform, so all you have to
do is turn up early and get your name down to perform. Originals and
cover music of every style and genre are welcome! Open mic is a great
way to practice your art and can also can be a proving ground for new
talent and material. The audience consists of singers, poets,
songwriters and music lovers so the atmosphere should be warm and
encouraging for everybody.

Thursday November 5
TROIKA MUSIC FESTIVAL
=95 9:30P Regina Hexaphone (rock/folk rock/americana)
"The rustling sun-kissed beauty and easy charm of Regina Hexaphone's
folky pop echo the sweet, generous vibe of frontwoman Sara Bell. Just
as a wayward smile from someone attractive can brighten your day,
nothing feels quite as welcoming as Hexaphone's soothing sonic
embrace. A preview of their forthcoming album, Into Your Sleeping
Heart, is impressive, indeed, from the nomadic surf-inflected pop of
"Waiting for the Wind" to the Dresden-bound gypsy bounce of "The
Fortyniner." Elsewhere, they work in a hazy, pillowy drift of receding
detail, like a watercolor pulling away and over the horizon." --Chris
Parker, Independent Weekly

=95 10:15P Pink Flag (pop punk/powerpop/garage)
Comprised of Dork Flag, Lucky Flag and Sick Flag (Princess Ojiaku,
Betsy Shane and Jessica Caesar), Pink Flag came together in a tin box
in December of 2007, almost 30 years to the day after its namesake
album was released. Pink Flag is more cult than band, more spice than
sugar, more shout than whimper, but like the album, displays a method
to its chaos, a virtuosity in its noisiness and a keen ear for hooks
and song structure. They're a regular three girl rhumba dancing on the
common ground of a love of early post-punk, riot grrl and top 40 of
the 1990s. Their earnest approach to all subject matter and
unabashedly campy live performances have been infectious for
audiences. Pink Flag is devoted to good friends, good times and
slumber parties and can't wait for you to become places and friends of
PFLAG.

=95 11P The Dry Heathens (rock/punk/indie)
"The band hammers at feedback-and-vitriol punk laced with shots of
hook and twang, like Drive By Trucker Mike Cooley woodshedding with
Social Distortion" =97 Grayson Currin, Independent Weekly
"The Dry Heathens craft massive songs of raucous energy - air-strike
epics that inspire equal parts emotion and movement." =97 Jamie
Williams, The Daily Tar Heel

=95 11:45P The Moaners (rock/experimental/blues)
Fusing the gut-level emotive sound of lues with the lean, wiry power
of indie rock, the Moaners are a two-woman two-piece ock & roll combo
hailing from Chapel Hill, NC, comprised of former Trailer Bride
frontwoman Melissa Swingle on guitar and vocals and Laura King,
formerly of another Chapel Hill band, Grand National, on drums and
sometimes guitar. Swingle and King first met when Trailer Bride and
Grand National played a show together. Swingle was impressed with
King's abilities behind the drum kit, and after Trailer Bride split
up, she approached King in hopes of putting together a more ock-
oriented project. The duo dubbed themselves the Moaners, and following
plenty of regional touring, the band signed with Chapel Hill's Yep Roc
label in 2004. Shortly afterward, they went into the studio with
Southern Culture on the Skids guitarist Rick Miller, who produced the
group's first album, Dark Snack, which was released in early 2005.
Blackwing Yalobusha followed two years later, produced by former
Squirrel Nut Zipper Jimbo Mathus.

Friday November 6
TROIKA MUSIC FESTIVAL
=95 9:45P Jews and Catholics (post punk/rock/indie)
Winston-Salem's duo-band. We melt faces. Or so we've been told after
we've melted a face.
Alanna Meltzer played in orchestras, Eddie Garcia played in bands. You
haven't heard of any of these bands. But he had a great time in them.
Alanna played with Kenny Rogers once........once. We played our first
gig on May 15 of 2005 at The Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC. We didn't
have a drummer then, and we don't have one now. That is how we like
it. We wised up and bought a PA to travel with, good move we think.
North Carolina is a great state to play music in, we are very
fortunate. We thank our friends and families and bands we've met along
the way for all the love and support. We recently hooked up with 307
Knox Records out of Durham, NC. They are amazing, we heart them big
time. They're going to release our next record which will be produced
by Mitch Easter. We're stoked. We want to play your town. We will give
110% when we play in your town. We will wring every last drop of sound
out of our instruments and equipment for you. We really love this.

=95 10:30P Whatever Brains (zouk)

=95 11:15P The Dirty Little Heaters (rock/psychedelic/garage)
The new 3-piece Dirty Little Heaters will take your head clean off. If
you don't have a "bands to watch in 2008" list yet, grab a post-it &
write their name at the top of it.
17 DEC 2008 =95 by Grayson Currin, From the start, reputation and its
expectations were the albatross strung around the neck of the second
incarnation of Durham's Dirty Little Heaters: Three years ago, Reese
McHenry (nee Gibbs) and Melissa Thomas were a blustery ball of blooz-
rock attitude, blasting out of Durham's gathering tide of
idiosyncratic acts with a primal stomp and some hardened soul singing.
That band's bitter breakup instigated a brief politics of division in
the city's small but busy music community, especially after McHenry
grafted the name to a new trio with ex-Spinn Rob Walsh and drummer
Dave Perry, once of Jett Rink and Fake Swedish. Some people hoped to
dismiss the band before it had even played. But if they're listening
to Fatty Don't Feel Good=97the too-short seven-inch debut from Heaters
2.0=97those notions should be null. A cage-rattling declaration of
independence, Fatty comprises two contagious and concise jolts of
analogue aggression, commanded by McHenry's howl-at-the-world voice. A-
side "The Dry Wait" hits like Dead Moon straightening its aim in a
direct, focused, mid-tempo, distorted pounce. McHenry=97who's earned
comparisons to Janis Joplin and Grace Slick but delivers with a sneer
that's more confident than those comparisons suggest=97offers images of
flashing lights in dark rooms and big engine blocks roaring down quiet
roads. "Who's your baby now?" she inquires, demanding with her tone
that there'd best be just one answer. Despite its coy title, B-side
"Untitled" exclaims confrontation from one groove to the next, McHenry
offering advice about karma, weapons and adults stomping like little
kids. It's a perfect fit, the sort of personal track that feels like a
rallying call for anyone with conflict at hand. Walsh and Perry don't
busy the backing. Instead, they work to drive their leader's points
home, like an army bolstering a bark that you hope scene politics
never silences.
Fuse=97The Heaters' Reese McHenry has a voice that can rattle
chandeliers at 50 paces. Not just with power but with the bluesy depth
of Big Mama Thornton, where everything she sings sounds a little,
well, dirty. The Heaters are now a trio: With bassist Rob Walsh
(formerly of the Spinns) and Dave Perry (Jett Rink), they nod to heavy
metal riffs and heavy psychedelics, all tempered by McHenry's soulful
wail=97unmatchable 'round these parts. =97Chris Toenes

=95 12:15A Pipe (punk/rock)
In 1992, Pipe, Ron Liberti (vocals), Mike Kenlan (guitar), Dave
Alworth (bass), and former Superchunk drummer Chuck Garrison, released
the Ball Peen EP (Sonic Bubblegum). Kenlan then left to concentrate on
Small (later Small 23, which also included Garrison.
Clifton Lee Mann of the Bad Checks came on to play guitar
temporarily until a permanent guitarist could be found. Mann and
Liberti worked well together, and Mann stayed. Pipe recorded their
first single "You're Soaking in It" in 1993 followed by their full-
length debut, Six Days to Bellus (Jesus Christ) in 1994.
Pipe then toured with Bad Brains and soon began work on their
second full-length, International Cement (Jesus Christ), released in
1995 along with the "Raceway Park" single on Amish Records. Bassist
Alworth quit the band after a tour with Polvo and Archers of Loaf.
Greg Adams replaced Alworth, and Pipe recorded their third album,
Slowboy, released on Merge in 1997. Merge then re-released Pipe's two
earlier albums and several singles. An unfortunate series of events
(Garrison's broken hand early during a tour and an injury to Mann's
hand and eventual departure) led to the dissolution of Pipe.

Saturday November 7
TROIKA MUSIC FESTIVAL
=95 9:30P Dynamite Brothers (rock/soul/punk)
The Dynamite Bros. started sometime in 2000 I think as a devoted blues
revival band (more Skip James than B.B. King) with Mitch Rothrock
playing guitar and handling the singin and drummer Scott Nurkin
holding down the skins. This lineup continued for a few years while
they toured and played a bunch in there hometown of chapel hill.
Eventually, with the growing popularity of two-piece bands cranking
out modern blues-style numbers like the white stripes, black keys, et.
al., the Dynamites decided that things needed to change and added one
Alex Livingstone AKA Chickenwang to the mix. Chickenwang, while
holding residency in Austin, TX became the third offical bother
Dynamite, albeit from Tejas. This lineup played a handful of great
shows. Sadly, as he was over 1200 miles away, and already committed to
his other love, the amazing Grand Champeen, it was hard for him to
make it to practice. So the D. Bros. recruited the steady rhythms of
one Shane Hartman to play bass. The songs began to change from just
blues rave-ups to everything from funk to punk to STAX. I think the
goal was a Sly Stone meets Bad Brains meets the Minutemen sound. This
lineup continued for about 3 years travelling all over the damn place
in a sweet carolina blue dodge ram PRIMETIME i like to call "Swayze"
much to the chagrin of others. (UPDATE: Swayze is missing in action
and presummed dead...... anyways.....) Occasionally the Dynamites back
up local sax extrodinaire Tim Smith as the Dynamite Family Band, as
well as participating in many other local projects.
What the critics are saying about the records. . .
FROM: Tangerine Magazine, www.tangerinemagazine.com By Glenn Tillman
=93Anything the Immortal Lee County Killers, the Mississippi Allstars,
the Black Keys, and Mofro can do, The Dynamite Brothers can do better.
Authentic blues, jump, boogie, and down home rock and roll blends and
bends together and flows like 100 proof liquid gold alcohol on every
track. Effortless creative brilliance is a natural born talent of
these three traditional music master interpreters. The slowed down
sweet sounds of "Sunday 12 am" with the oh so cool jazz guitar chords
and the sax in the back soothed my soul, then "One Way Blues" jumps
and jams like a rabid juke joint jaguar, then on to a funktastic
atomic "Raw Dawggin' Again" that would make the only decent Clinton
(George) proud, and those are just three songs I picked out of the
thirteen (not counting the hidden party song at the end of the CD).
Every song is a showcase of style versatility. The Dynamite Brothers
can do it all with a feel for the real and genuine star signs. Mitch
Rothrock runs his guitar through every genre from lounge to lizard,
Shane Hartman walks the bass lines like a natural man, and Scott
Nurkin is worth the price of CD admission alone, he is absolutely the
most dead on down to the sweet beat drummer walkin' on water and
performin' lame man dance miracles on this ancient rockin' rollin'
mother earth. I defy anyone to find a better CD to drink massive
quantities of alcohol to. You know you need it, in fact, you've got to
have it, so get a copy of this CD and clap along.=94
FROM: Charlotte Creative Loafing By Tim Davis
=93The Dynamite Brothers have an excellent new one out, "Clap Along With
the Dynamite Brothers," a hot slab of wax (OK, plastic) full of hot
rod harmonies, burnout riffs, and smoky choruses that simultaneously
conjure up images of Iggy Pop and =91Big Daddy=92 Don Garlits. Hot shit,
this is.=94

=95 10:15P Rat Jackson (rock/alternative)
Rat Jackson is the musical, spiritual and very physical creation of
myself, Tad Jackson (lead singer and fret burner), and my brother
Chester--beater of the skins. Long time collaborator R.L. Sutton
thumps the big strings and my man Steve O whails on the Les Paul.
We've been more or less playing together since '03, though the band
names have changed and the sound has moved in some different
directions. You will probably swoon for the rythmic pounding and
soaring melodies of our powerhouse, blues-rock n' roll.
But ladies--this is all you really need to know right now. Rat
Jackson will take care of you. We want you to have a good time. We
want you to succeed in life. And we want you to pay the occasional
cover and wander over to the nearby rock club and witness nothing
short of a miracle. This band will change your life and give you a
reason to continue being beautiful--just ask your sister, who took our
advice a long time ago and look how far she has come!

=95 11P The Loners (rock)
Chris Parker of the Independent said it best about Eddie Taylor=92s
style: =93Guitarist Eddie Taylor sounds like Billy Zoom strangling Jack
White with his own guitar strings.=94 Chris Jones is the kind of drummer
that could lead an army of jurassic proportions. These two come
together as one of Raleigh=92s most admired and talented bands. The
Loners have been truckin=92 along nicely ever since their resurrection
at Kings in 2007 before it closed. Eddie Taylor and Chris Jones formed
the Loners in 1999.

=95 12 Midnight The Love Language (emo)
"After three decades of sonic observation, you start to realize what
really good music sounds like. You know what you like. You like the
Beatles. You like Thin Lizzy. You like Stevie Wonder. The declaration,
=93You=92ll love this band!=94 no longer arouses much excitement. You=92ve
heard thousands of bands, millions of songs, and find little incentive
to embark on any audible adventure when =93The Boys are Back In Town=94
has already been written. In terms of music, we download it, we burn
it, but we rarely really listen to it. Perhaps I=92m being selfish, but
I listen to the Love Language because they write music I wish I=92d
written. I often picture myself playing these songs for some awkwardly
shy, yet strikingly beautiful French girl on a jetty in Quebec,
romantically duping her with my plagiarized sentiments. Dishonest, yet
undeniably feasible. I could figure out those chords on guitar, and
placidly convince some girl that these thoughts and feelings were my
own. It=92s not like trying to pass off =93Blackbird=94 as an original
composition. As you strum, you begin wishing that these poetically
mundane moments were parts of your own past, until you realize that
they are. That=92s what the Love Language is to me: The modest
declaration of the universal obvious. Songs written about apartments
you=92ve lived in and rotary phones that you=92ve hung up. Although
McLamb=92s arrangements are typically overcast, each song reminds you of
the towering trees that relish each falling drop. That there are
winners and losers, but sometime tragedy makes the most beautiful
story. After all, no one would remember the Titanic had it not sunk.
That is the Love Language- the celebration of the sinking ship. Bon
Voyage." =96 Jon Kirby, Wax Poetics

Sunday November 8
=95 4:30P BSC Kids! It=92s fun and it=92s FREE! (tip jar passed)
Big Bang Boom (band)
Big Bang Boom is a power pop trio that writes and performs parent-
friendly children=92s music. The live show is high-energy, and gets the
crowd involved. From getting the kids on stage for the =93Spongebob
Chorus=94 to the parents vs. kids hokey pokey challenge =96 there is no
sitting down!
What happens when professional musicians become parents? They play
and write children's music. This is the path taken by Big Bang Boom, a
children's music group from Greensboro. After 20 years touring clubs
and playing parties, Chuck Folds (younger brother of piano rocker Ben
Folds) and Steve Williard decided to expand their horizons and play
for kids. Together with drummer Eddie Walker they have become the
parent friendly kid's rock band alternative.
Big Bang Boom is designed to give parents something else to listen
to besides Disney music and the Wiggles. There is some good quality
children's music being recorded these days. You can catch it on any
kid-friendly TV station, and now you can hear it live too.
Big Bang Boom plays some children's favorites as well as their own
original songs for kids.

=95 7:30P Aaron Mills Project - Sunday Night Jazz Jam
Starting at 7:30, Open Jam at 9

If you are in any way a fan of jazz, this is not to be missed !!!
Aaron Mills, best known as the audacious bassist of classic funk act
Cameo, has inspired a generation of groovy musicians, but his long
time love affair with jazz has inspired The Aaron Mills Project.
Aaron has been playing at the Cafe for a few months now, along with
Wayne Kee, Bobby Hinton, Warren Fraizer and others. Aaron has brought
Sunday night jazz back to the Cafe in a format that includes a cast of
regulars as well as featured guest musicians every week. Towards the
end of the evening, the night becomes an open jam, so, if anyone wants
to come blow their horn....

--
The Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad Street
Durham, NC 27705
www.TheBroadStreetCafe.com

  • Broad Street Cafe - Troika! Kids Band! Jazz, Rock, Alt..., BSC, 11/03/2009