ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of October 31, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Midtown Dickens <midtowndickens AT gmail.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of October 31, 2009
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:58:31 -0500

Heyo,

So there's a "correction" or in this case just a substitution for Nov. 4th
at the Pinhook. Instead of the New Familiars headlining, Jay from Red
Collar is doing a solo acoustic rock your face set that literally rocks the
stage, in an acoustic manner.

rock,
kym

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 5:42 PM, grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

> Saturday, October 31
> Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
> Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
> Floating Action (http://www.myspace.com/floatingaction)
> 2702 Lawndale, Durham
>
> 2702 Lawndale is Craig's house in Old West Durham. I don't normally list
> house shows, but he's been having so many of them, and has made such a
> concerted effort to promote them outside of just his circle of friends,
> that it would be a shame to keep the details a secret.
>
> Particularly since one of the bands is the awesome Asheville-based
> rickety-soul band Floating Action, who sound kinda like a woozy
> transistor radio on the gulf coast, picking up first-wave ska from
> across the water in 1965. As interpreted through a white guy from the
> mountains making 4-track recordings in his bedroom.
>

> Saturday, October 31
> Amps Do Furnish a Room (http://www.myspace.com/ampsdofurnisharoom)
> Heart of Glass
> The Ramonas
> The Pinhook, Durham
>
> Over in Chapel Hill they get the Rolling Stones, Cheap Trick, and 60s
> Psych. Here in Durham, we get Blondie, Television, and the all-girls
> Ramones.
>
> 12:00 - The Ramonas
> 11:00 - Heart of Glass
> 10:00 - Amps Do Furnish a Room
>

> Saturday, October 31
> Goodbye, Titan (http://www.myspace.com/loudestsilenceever)
> Once and Future Kings (http://www.myspace.com/onceandfuturekings)
> Broad Street Cafe, Durham
>

> Saturday, October 31
> Some Girls (http://some-girls.tumblr.com)
> The Julies
> Southern Girls
> Local 506, Chapel Hill
>
> The trend lately, especially in the years following the demise of Kings
> & its Cover-Up, is for intinerant local musicians to assemble
> cover/tribute bands for any/all occasions. Here's the breakdown from the
> 506 website:
>
> SOME GIRLS (Rolling Stones covers band)
> THE JULIES (60 Psyche cover band)
> SOUTHERN GIRLS (Cheap Trick cover band)
>

> Sunday, November 1
> Islands (http://www.myspace.com/islandsareforever)
> Toro Y Moi (http://www.myspace.com/toroymoi)
> Jemina Pearl (http://www.myspace.com/jeminapearl)
> Duke Coffeehouse, Durham
>

> Sunday, November 1
> Bad Checks (http://demonbeach.com/checks.htm)
> Leadfoot (http://www.leadfoot.net/)
> The Bleeding Hearts (http://www.thebleedinghearts.net/home.html)
> Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls
> (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
> Pour House, Raleigh
>
> Three decades of Raleigh Rock: the absolutely essential 80s
> punk/psychobilly of the Bad Checks; the rocket-fueled 90s southern
> boogie/metal of Leadfood; and the 00s jean-jacketed rock-n-roll of the
> Bleeding Hearts & Richard Bacchus.
>

> Sunday, November 1
> Herman Dune (http://www.myspace.com/therealhermandune)
> [...]

"Keepin the dream alive since 1982"
www.midtowndickens.com
www.myspace.com/midtowndickens

  • Re: stuff to do, week of October 31, 2009, Midtown Dickens, 11/02/2009