ch-scene - Halloween party

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Michael Warren <p_michael_warren AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Halloween party
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 00:18:49 -0700 (PDT)

The Flaming Star
15618 NC Hwy 119 North
Semora, NC 27343
336-234-8030
http://www.theflamingstar.com/index.htm
10/31/09
BOTTOMZUP BAND
HALLOWEEN PARTY & COSTUME CONTEST
$15.00/PERSON IN ADVANCE OR $20.00/PERSON AT THE DOOR
1ST PLACE - $150.00
2ND PLACE - $100.00
3RD PLACE - $50.00
PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED AT MIDNIGHT
12:30 am WE WILL OPEN THE BUFFET LINE FOR EVERYONE.

Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 18:42:18 -0400
From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: stuff to do, week of October 31, 2009

Saturday, October 31
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Floating Action (http://www.myspace.com/floatingaction)
2702 Lawndale, Durham

2702 Lawndale is Craig's house in Old West Durham. I don't normally list
house shows, but he's been having so many of them, and has made such a
concerted effort to promote them outside of just his circle of friends,
that it would be a shame to keep the details a secret.

Particularly since one of the bands is the awesome Asheville-based
rickety-soul band Floating Action, who sound kinda like a woozy
transistor radio on the gulf coast, picking up first-wave ska from
across the water in 1965. As interpreted through a white guy from the
mountains making 4-track recordings in his bedroom.

Saturday, October 31
Amps Do Furnish a Room (http://www.myspace.com/ampsdofurnisharoom)
Heart of Glass
The Ramonas
The Pinhook, Durham

Over in Chapel Hill they get the Rolling Stones, Cheap Trick, and 60s
Psych. Here in Durham, we get Blondie, Television, and the all-girls
Ramones.

12:00 - The Ramonas
11:00 - Heart of Glass
10:00 - Amps Do Furnish a Room

Saturday, October 31
Goodbye, Titan (http://www.myspace.com/loudestsilenceever)
Once and Future Kings (http://www.myspace.com/onceandfuturekings)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Saturday, October 31
Some Girls (http://some-girls.tumblr.com)
The Julies
Southern Girls
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The trend lately, especially in the years following the demise of Kings
& its Cover-Up, is for intinerant local musicians to assemble
cover/tribute bands for any/all occasions. Here's the breakdown from the
506 website:

SOME GIRLS (Rolling Stones covers band)
THE JULIES (60 Psyche cover band)
SOUTHERN GIRLS (Cheap Trick cover band)

Sunday, November 1
Islands (http://www.myspace.com/islandsareforever)
Toro Y Moi (http://www.myspace.com/toroymoi)
Jemina Pearl (http://www.myspace.com/jeminapearl)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Sunday, November 1
Bad Checks (http://demonbeach.com/checks.htm)
Leadfoot (http://www.leadfoot.net/)
The Bleeding Hearts (http://www.thebleedinghearts.net/home.html)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls
(http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Pour House, Raleigh

Three decades of Raleigh Rock: the absolutely essential 80s
punk/psychobilly of the Bad Checks; the rocket-fueled 90s southern
boogie/metal of Leadfood; and the 00s jean-jacketed rock-n-roll of the
Bleeding Hearts & Richard Bacchus.

Sunday, November 1
Herman Dune (http://www.myspace.com/therealhermandune)
Julie Doiron (http://www.myspace.com/juliedoiron)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I never paid a lick of attention to Julie Doiron's old band, Eric's
Trip, but I will admit that lately I find her song "Consolation Prize"
stuck in my head for long stretches. At times irritatingly long stretches.

Monday, November 2
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Joshua James (http://www.myspace.com/joshuajamesmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Birds and Arrows have just released their debut full-length,
"Starmaker," which nicely augments their gtr/drums duo arrangements with
piano & cello, while still retaining the inherent sparseness.

Tuesday, November 3
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Old Growth (http://www.myspace.com/oldgrowthmusicpdx)
12XU (http://weare12xu.blogspot.com/)
Pygmy Lush (http://www.myspace.com/pygmylush)
Ghastly City Sleep (http://www.myspace.com/ghastlycitysleep)
Fuse, Chapel Hill

des_ark are nearly done mixing an album which has a title - "Don't Rock
the Boat, Sink the Fucker," but no clear release date. Why am I not
surprised? This is the last date of their tour with labelmates Pygmy
Lush, at which point Aimee may or may not decamp to rural VA with Pygmy
Lush, or to Philadelphia, or to some hitherto-unknown other destination.
Which is to say: this may be yr last chance to see them for a while.

Tuesday, November 3
The King Khan & BBQ Show (http://marksultan.com/kingkhanandbbqshow.html)
Last Year's Men
Local 506, Chapel Hill

With his other band The Shrines, King Khan released one of the great
albums of the year (or last year, or the year before, depending on what
country you live in) with What Is!?

The King Khan & BBQ Show is Khan plus his old Spaceshits bandmate Mark
Sultan, and with just the two of them onstage, there's more room to
flail around uncontrollably & fall down.

Wednesday, November 4
Papermoons (http://www.myspace.com/thepapermoonsband)
Chicken Little
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Wednesday, November 4
Nana Grizol (http://www.myspace.com/nanagrizol)
Organos
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Organos is the new bedroom/lo-fi project from Maria Albani, who used to
play bass in Pleasant, and now performs similar duties in Schooner.

Wednesday, November 4
The New Familiars (http://www.myspace.com/fedorandguthrie)
Red City Radio (http://www.myspace.com/redcityradio)
Jay Heart Montreal (http://www.myspace.com/jayheartmontreal)
The Pinhook, Durham

11:00 - The New Familiars
10:00 - Red City Radio
9:00 - Jay Heart Montreal

Wednesday, November 4
Simeon
Kurt Vile and the Violators (http://www.myspace.com/kurtvileofphilly)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, November 4
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
Cheezface
DJ Charlie Burnett
Pour House, Raleigh

Thursday, November 5 - Saturday, November 7
Troika Music Festival (http://troikamusicfestival.org/)
various downtown venues, Durham

This is the 5th annual Troika Music Festival, which has its roots in the
Durham Music Festival, which itself dated back to ~2002 or so. Been
doing this for a while, in other words, and each year is better than the
last.

Full schedules & lineups can be found at the website
(http://troikamusicfestival.org/), and since there are like 80 bands
playing, I'm not going to enumerate them all here.

All you really need to know is that there are 21 discrete shows at a
total of 9 separate venues, spread across 3 nights, and while they may
not all be walking-distance (depends on how fast you walk, I guess),
they're certainly biking distance from each other. And if you gotta
drive, parking shouldn't be too bad at most venues, either.

So your $20 festival pass could, if you put some effort into it, give
you a decent shot at seeing at least 30 of the bands. Not too shabby.
(You can also do single-night passes for $8 apiece, if you know you'll
be unable to make one of the three nights.)

Thursday, November 5
Hex Machine (http://www.myspace.com/hexmachine)
The Jesus Lizard (http://www.thejesuslizard.net)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I saw Jesus Lizard at the old Cradle, back in the early 90s sometime. I
don't recall much about the show, but I vaguely remember enjoying it.
More recently, I heard 'em playing live on Sound Opinions, and I have to
say, they sounded pretty fucking huge.

Thursday, November 5
Growing (http://www.growingsound.com/)
Fuck Buttons (http://www.fuckbuttons.co.uk/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, November 5
The Bleeding Hearts (http://www.thebleedinghearts.net/home.html)
The Infamous Sugar (http://www.myspace.com/theinfamoussugar)
Static Minds
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is the weekly local bands/local beers, which this week brings you a
double-dose of tight-pants jean-jacket rock-n-roll, plus the filthy
one-man-band antics of the Infamous Sugar.

Thursday, November 5
The Hymns (http://www.hymnsband.com)
Attached Hands (http://www.myspace.com/attachedhands)
The Ventricles
Old Bricks
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 6
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
The Modern Skirts (http://www.modernskirts.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, November 6
The Vinyl Strangers (http://myspace.com/Thevinylstrangers)
Bustello (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bustello/182575038059)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Bustello are the new band fronted by Ben Clarke, who is probably
best-known for the reverb-drenched southern-gothic Metal Flake Mother.
Nowadays he's backed by local vets John Plymale and Jody Maxwell, but
the focus is definitely on Ben's high distinctive voice & his big green
Gretsch guitar. Their first show, last week at the Pinhook, was
remarkable -- one of the best "first shows" I've seen in years. Don't
miss 'em.

Friday, November 6
Le Loup (http://www.myspace.com/leloupmusic)
Yardwork (http://www.myspace.com/wetdigitalredstorm)
Doug Keith (http://www.myspace.com/douglaskeith)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Yardwork are damn near one of my favorite bands of all time. And they're
from Charlotte. Noise-loving hippie *freaks* from Charlotte, yes, but
still. It defies explanation, but they're so amazing that I don't really
feel the need to try.

Friday, November 6
Where the Buffalo Roamed (http://www.myspace.com/wherethebuffaloroamed)
Goodbye, Titan (http://www.myspace.com/loudestsilenceever)
Gunslinger (http://www.myspace.com/deathofthegunslinger)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Friday, November 6
Joe Swank and the Zen Pirates
(http://www.myspace.com/joeswankandthezenpirates)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This is part of a celebratory CD-release jaunt through the Triangle for
the now-Chicagoan Joe Swank.

Saturday, November 7
The Tourist (http://www.myspace.com/thetouristnc)
Box Five (http://www.myspace.com/boxfivemusic)
Alexandra Day
Arielle Bryant
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Saturday, November 7
Chatham County Line (http://www.chathamcountyline.com/)
Mandolin Orange (http://www.myspace.com/mandolinorange)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, November 7
Joe Swank and the Zen Pirates
(http://www.myspace.com/joeswankandthezenpirates)
New Town Drunks (http://www.newtowndrunks.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, November 8
Chris Smith
Marc E. Smith
Ian McLagan (http://www.ianmclagan.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Sunday, November 8
Hidden Cameras (http://www.thehiddencameras.com)
Gentleman Reg (http://www.myspace.com/gentlemanreg)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, November 9
Marissa Nadler (http://www.marissanadler.com)
Alela Diane
ArtsCenter, Carrboro

Monday, November 9
The Blakes (http://www.myspace.com/theblakes)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, November 9
Systems
HOG
Atlas Moth (http://www.myspace.com/theatlasmothband)
Reservoir, Carrboro

At this point Reservoir will have been smoke-free for a little over a
week . . . though I'm guessing it'll take more on the order of months
for the soot & nicotine lining the walls to slowly dissipate.

Tuesday, November 10
The Devil Makes Three (http://www.myspace.com/thedevilmakesthree)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Halloween party, Michael Warren, 10/31/2009