ch-scene - stuff to do, week of October 18, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of October 18, 2009
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 13:14:14 -0400

Sunday, October 18
Built to Spill (http://www.builttospill.com/)
Disco Doom (http://www.discodoom.net)
Violent Soho (http://www.violentsoho.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, October 18
Liza Kate (http://www.myspace.com/lizakate)
Josh Moore (http://www.myspace.com/joshuamoore)
Holopaw (http://www.myspace.com/holopaw)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, October 18
Japandroids (http://www.myspace.com/japandroids)
Real Estate (http://www.myspace.com/letsrockthebeach)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The first time Vancouver's Japandroids played the Local 506, earlier this year, they did so on a Monday night, and drew maybe 150 people. This despite having released only one proper album, and that one (at the time) only in Canada. (Yes, it had been well-reviewed by Pitchfork -- proof, if you needed any, of p4k's actual power)

I first heard Japandroids via an MP3 I downloaded from one blog or another. My strategy is to download everything, throw it into a folder, and then listen to it on shuffle to see what sticks. Japandroids' "Young Hearts Spark Fire" stuck in a MAJOR way. Equal parts fuzzy, catchy, and driving/heavy, it turned into enough of an obsession for me that I tracked down the aforementioned Canadian album, Post-Nothing (since released in the US by Polyvinyl).

Which is how *I* wound up at that Monday-night show a few months ago. Yes, they're a guitar-drums duo, and lord knows I've seen enough of those to last a lifetime, but playing on a Monday night in a strange town on their first tour of the US, they freaking *brought it* in a major way.

Which is why, for the second time in 2009, I'm going to sacrifice a night of sleep & head to Local 506 on a school night.

Monday, October 19
Ben Davis + The Jetts (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html)
Art Brut (http://www.artbrut.org.uk/)
Princeton (http://www.myspace.com/princetonmusic)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Monday, October 19
Dolorean (http://www.dolorean.com/)
Deer Tick (http://www.myspace.com/deertick)
Holy Sons (http://www.myspace.com/holysons)
Christopher Denny (http://www.myspace.com/christopherdenny)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, October 20
We Landed on the Moon (http://www.welandedonthemoon.com/)
Death to the Details (http://www.reverbnation.com/deathtothedetails)
Lions at Lunchtime (http://www.reverbnation.com/lionsatlunchtime)
The Pinhook, Durham

11:00 - Death to Details
10:00 - We Landed on the Moon
9:00 - Lions at Lunchtime

Tuesday, October 20
The Drowning Lovers (http://www.reverbnation.com/thedrowninglovers)
Dent May and his Magnificent Ukelele (http://www.myspace.com/dentmay)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, October 20
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
NAPS
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This is part of the weeklong Cherry Bounce festival in Raleigh. No, I have no idea why they named a weeklong music festival after an obscure fruity liqueur.

Americans in France put out one of the truly great albums of 2009, "Pretzelvania." Veelee are a chilly pop duo who manage to pull of some fairly intricate gtr/bass/drums/synth stuff live.

Tuesday, October 20
Crash (http://www.myspace.com/crashkills)
Sunset (http://www.myspace.com/lobosunset)
City Center (http://www.myspace.com/citycenternyc)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, October 21
Port O'Brien (http://www.myspace.com/portobrien)
Sea Wolf (http://www.myspace.com/seawolf)
Sarah Lov
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, October 21
Worn in Red (http://www.myspace.com/worninred)
Death Came Down the Mountain (http://www.myspace.com/deathcamedownthemountain)
Blix
Reservoir, Carrboro

Thursday, October 22
Gross Ghost (http://www.myspace.com/grossghost)
Free Electric State (http://www.myspace.com/freeelectricstate)
The Poles
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is part of the weeklong Cherry Bounce festival. Gross Ghost is a 3-piece Stiff-records style pop/rock band. Free Electric State also sport a bit of UK influence, but more in the Jesus & Mary Chain/Siouxie/MBV mode.

Friday, October 23
Swagger
Death to the Details (http://www.reverbnation.com/deathtothedetails)
River City Ransom
Damona Waits (http://www.damonawaits.com/)
Right V. Real (http://www.rightvreal.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a benefit for the American Foundation For Suicide Prevention.

Friday, October 23
Clawform
Jay Cartwright
Jon Thompson
James Joyce, Durham

This is billed as an "evening of outlying music," and features Jay Cartwright (Eyes to Space, Lemming Malloy) on accordion, Jon Thompson on guitar & electric oud, and then Colin Booy's amazing black-metal banjo project Clawform

Friday, October 23
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
The Infamous Sugar (http://www.myspace.com/theinfamoussugar)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

This is part of the Cherry Bounce festival, and is presented by the blog New Raleigh. A Rooster for the Masses make political dance-rock. Colossus are somewhere between metal band and "metal band." The Ts are a straight-ahead rock-and-roll band, and the Infamous Sugar is sort of uncategorizable. And dirty.

Friday, October 23
Dexter Romweber and the New Romans (http://www.myspace.com/dexterromweber)
Bustello
The Pinhook, Durham

Dexter Romweber's New Romans are the large band assembled by his longtime friend & engineer Dave Schmidt in order to present Dex's music in a more classic/vintage "pop" format -- horns, keys, percussion, backing vocalists, the whole 9 yards. A definite must-see.

Friday, October 23
Reid Johnson
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release for the new Simple CD.

Friday, October 23
Tavo Carbone (http://www.myspace.com/tavocarboneband)
NAPS
Trevor Wilson (http://www.myspace.com/tvwilson)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, October 23
Man Will Destroy Himself
Javelina (http://www.myspace.com/javelinaphiladelphia)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, October 24
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Man Man (http://www.wearemanman.com)
The Hood Internet
Raleigh Times Bar, Raleigh

This is a big outdoor culminating event for the Cherry Bounce festival, and it's being held on a stage on the street in front of the Raleigh Times Bar. Here's a full lineup:

1. Peggy Sue
2. Schooner
3. Sky Larkin
4. The Balance
5. Old Avenue
6. Fin Fang Foom
7. The Hood Internet
8. Man Man

It's not entirely clear from this listing as to when it all gets underway. I suppose one could assume Man Man towards midnight or so and then count backwards.

Saturday, October 24
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Weatherkings (http://www.myspace.com/weatherkingsband)
The Toddlers (http://www.myspace.com/thetoddlersmusic)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, October 24
New Town Drunks (http://www.newtowndrunks.com/)
Benji Hughes (http://www.myspace.com/benjihughes)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, October 25
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Le Weekend began as a sort of Audubon Park offshoot, to accomodate Matt Kalb's more esoteric songwriting endeavors, I guess. With the indefinite location-related hiatus of Audubon Park, LW has become Matt's primary musical outlet. Lately they're a trio, down from a peak of five, which has turned out to be a pretty good thing, as Matt's ideas are complicated enough without having to deal with all those *instruments*. Plus there's more room to focus yr attention on Bob Wall's out-and-out phenomenal bass playing.

4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, October 25
Princess and the Criminals (http://myspace.com/princessandthecriminals)
TacocaT (http://www.myspace.com/tacocattacocattacocat)
The Pinhook, Durham

TacocaT are a west-coast band whose giant smash hit "Pony" is an endless source of dance-party entertainment around our house. Our only worry is that they're probably only going to want to play it once, or at most twice, and it's the sort of thing that you really want to hear about 8 times in rapid succession.

Sunday, October 25
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
Rooftop Vigilantes (http://www.myspace.com/rooftopvigilantes)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, October 25
Spinto Band (http://www.spintoband.com/)
Pepi Ginsberg (http://www.myspace.com/pepiginsberg)
Generationals (http://www.myspace.com/generationals)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, October 26
Headlights (http://www.headlightsmusic.com/)
Shaky Hands (http://www.myspace.com/shakyhands)
Pomegranates (http://www.myspace.com/pomegranatesart)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, October 27
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
James Husband (http://www.myspace.com/jameshusband)
Sugar and Gold (http://www.myspace.com/sugarandgold)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Ex-Monkeys are a live-electronic duo who mix trip-hop beats and turntablism with heavy distorted guitar & bass. They used to be 2/3rds of Friend Side Monkey, and guitarist Ian Shannon was also in 90s Wifflefist bands such as BeatlesS.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------
the alt.music.chapel-hill guide to the triangle