ch-scene - [Internationalist] defend NC forests! yard sale for Prison Books!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] defend NC forests! yard sale for Prison Books!
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 15:12:17 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919.942.1740
Open 11 AM to 8 PM, Mon-Sat; 12 to 6 PM Sun
www.internationalistbooks.org

IN THIS EMAIL:

1) Saturday, 10/17: Prison Books Benefit Yard Sale!
2) Sunday, 10/18: Globe Forest Defense Campaign Presentation
3) New DIRT CHEAP fiction section!

1) SAT OCT 17, 10 AM - 2 PM: Prison Books Benefit Yard Sale!

On this Saturday morning starting at 10 AM, join us at 115 W. Poplar
Ave. in Carrboro for a yard sale to benefit the Internationalist
Prison Books Collective! We'll have a wide range of household goods,
furniture, clothes, odds and ends, and of course lots of books for
sale. 100% of the proceeds will go directly to the Prison Books
Collective to be spent on postage mailing free books and educational
materials to folks incarcerated in Mississippi and Alabama. For more
info on the Prison Books program, please visit www.prisonbooks.info.
You can also swing by our weekly book-wrapping meetings, which take
place ever Sunday from 1-4 PM at 218 N. Graham St. in Chapel Hill.
Hope to see you Saturday!

Directions to the yard sale:
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Carrboro&state=nc&address=115+W.+Poplar+St

2) SUN, OCT 18th, 6 PM: Defend NC Forests!

The U.S. Forest Service plans to sell over 200 acres of mature,
hardwood forest (including rare old growth) to logging companies. Our
campaign intends to stop them. At this event local activists will
present information about the campaign, a short video, and details
about an upcoming action camp. The camp will take place Halloween
weekend near Boone, North Carolina and will offer a number of
workshops. For more info, see http://savetheglobe.wordpress.com or
e-mail NCForestDefense AT riseup.net.

3) NEW DIRT CHEAP FICTION SECTIONS!

We've got a whole slew of new arrivals on the shelves, and to
accommodate them, we've got a brand new section of DIRT CHEAP FICTION!
There's an entire shelf of used novels available for just $1.99
each, and another shelf for just $2.99 per title. Some of the authors
on the bargain shelves include Tom Wolfe, Muriel Spark, Rebecca Wells,
Nicholas Evans, Richard Wright, Virginia Woolf, and dozens more; we've
also got classics, from Homer to Shakespeare to Solzhenitsyn. Even in
the midst of an economic crisis, we want you to keep reading - so
swing by the store and pick up some cheap books for autumn reading!

ONGOING EVENTS:

INTERNATIONALIST PRISON BOOKS COLLECTIVE
The Internationalist sponsors a program that sends free books and
literature to people incarcerated in Mississippi and Alabama. Since
2006 the Books to Prisoners collective has mailed educational
materials to thousands of prisoners, building solidarity with networks
of activists inside and out of prison agitating for justice and
alternatives to the prison system, while meeting a direct and urgent
need. There are many ways to get involved:

-Come fill requests at the weekly book-wrapping, which takes place
every Sunday from 1-4 PM at 218 N. Graham St. in Chapel Hill.

-DONATE books by dropping them off at the Internationalist!
Particularly in demand are dictionaries, thesauruses, African-American
history, culture, and fiction, self-help, Spanish language,
GED/education, and more (paperbacks only).

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: