ch-scene - Broad Street Cafe - LOTS of FREE Music!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Broad Street Cafe - LOTS of FREE Music!
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 04:14:56 -0700 (PDT)

The Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad Street in Durham
http://www.TheBroadStreetCafe.com

Thursday October 8
=95 8P Robert Ferguson (singer/songwriter)
=95 10P Will Thomas Band (rock/southern rock/pop)
Making rock and roll music and creating a hook that just can't escape
you is what the Will Thomas Band does. Will Thomas began writing music
at a very young age. His early influences being Led Zeppelin, Tom
Petty, Aerosmith, Grand Funk Railroad, and many other early 70's rock
bands. These influences are obvious in his writing. Will=92s lifelong
friend and bass player, Derek Cason, began writing and playing in a
variety of bands with Will since the age of 10. The two stuck together
all through high school, until Will left for college in Tennessee
where he pursued a bluegrass scholarship. Will soon realized that
college was no longer the best path for him musically. He then moved
back to Charlottesville where he was reunited with Derek and began
working with another local musician, lead guitar player Wally Worsley.
As the puzzle gradually pieced itself together drummer Gre Briar came
in to hold down the rhythm, and eventually completing the puzzle was
keyboard player Joseph Mills. With Derek's solid bass lines and tight
harmonies, Wally's tasteful ear candy and cut through solos, Gre's
deep pocket, and Joseph's incredible ability to tickle the ivory's in
such a way that it brings chills to your spine, Will has the perfect
foundation to stand and let his buttery powerful vocals shine through.
The lineup is complete and the Will Thomas Band has created a sound
that cannot be mistaken. Their powerful hooks and remarkable
musicianship has ruled many of stages all over the United States. The
band continues to tour and write with other artists such as Daughtry,
Joey Barnes, Brian Craddock, Sickshot, Andy Waldeck, Shep Stacy,
Lifehouse, and many more. Will Thomas has currently released one EP
titled =93=85This is Your Life=94 produced by Brian Craddock and Shep Stacy=
,
and mixed by Skidd Mills (Third Day, Saliva, BB King, Saving Abel).

Friday October 9
=95 8P RJ Adams (singer/songwriter - funk/r&b/pop/soul)
Music began for RJ at the early age of 7 in the small southern town in
North Carolina. Like most kids, RJ dreamed of becoming a big star like
his favorite music heros Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Prince, Al
Green, james Brown, Sam Cooke and Otis Redding to name a few. RJ Adams
is know for his high energy live performances that keep you moving non
stop.
Rj=92s music is a breath of fresh air in today=92s world.. His music is
uplifting and positive for all to listen.. In recent interviews Rj was
quoted saying =93 I love all music and all people =85I simply want to
bring back music that is positive , inspiring and not offensive to
anyone.. It=92s okay to sing about love and everyday life and that is
the message in my music and why the album is called Love, Life,
Music ..=94
RJ=92s first album =93Love, Life, Music gained popularity when RJ
performed a remix of =93RJA=94 on Pay Per View March 2007 and became an
international selling CD in 15 countries.
Rj=92s new album titled =93Acoustic Soul=94 is being released March 2009
and features some of his best songwriting. Acoustic Soul is full of
soulful, Bluesy melodic songs with no band just a single guitar and
vocal recorded live in the studio with a raw sound displaying RJ=92s
unique vocal sound.
RJ is often asked to describe his music. He simply says with
confidence, "It's feel good music =93music for everyone..
One of the largest breaks for RJ was when he performed =93live=94 March
2007 in Las Vegas on Pay Pre-view . The Pay Pre-View event aired in 15
countries where 120 million viewers tuned in world wide.
=95 10P Pistil (pop punk/indie)
Pistil is a fun, punk-inspired trio of Megan Dawson, Anne Starling,
and Ian the Terrible. They like to call themselves "indie pop punk"
but in practice, you'll hear great rock n roll informed by punk and
blues. Megan's got a drop dead bluesy voice and a sweet bass, tiny
Anne sports a big, sexy, loud guitar, and Ian keeps the beat, with
occasional singing and acoustic guitar. Their songs cover heartbreak,
love, and politics with a feminist bent. Pistil has a fresh, unique
sound that you're sure to get hooked on!

Saturday October 10
=95 7:30P Mysti Mayhem (folk/folk rock/indie)
Singer/Guitarist/Composer with 5 albums, the most recent being
Diversity, a $50,000 fan funded album via German label Sellaband. She
has performed with Mike Farris (Screamin Cheetah Wheelies), Damon
Johnson (Brother Cain), Tenacious D, and Highway 101 and performed in
London, Amsterdam, Portugal, and throughout the United States. Her
recent work on the Portuguese album from Nearfield is scheduled to
release late 2009/early 2010. You can watch her live online every
Monday on http://www.blogtv.com/people/mystimayhem and visit her
http://www.youtube.com/mystimayhem on Youtube to see the latest
releases.
=95 9:30P Blue Marble Beat (trip hop/reggae/soul)
Dig the simplicity. We sweat. You sweat. That's the deal.
As Blue Marble Beat takes the finest organic and electronic
elements of Reggae, Lounge, Jazz and Pop music and puts them all
together on a single stage, all at the same time, you give back the
love that we give to you. Trip-Pop. We play the music and you dance.
We project the video and you dance. We are the perfect confluence of
Man, Moment and Machine, you and Blue Marble Beat.
Note that ours is a modern show capturing the old and the new. It's
our original songs and music by other artists presented in our own
multimedia-rich, edgy style. We've shared stages with Burning Spear,
The English Beat's Dave Wakeling, Israel Vibration, Roots Radics, Gran
Torino and Mother's Finest.
Clearly, there's a THUMP to our music that makes you stomp your
feet and shake your money maker. Blue Marble Beat moves the body, soul
and mind. People have been digging Blue Marble Beat in every size and
shape of venue across North Carolina - from private parties, bars,
clubs, and theatres to arenas. We regularly entice deeply rooted
wallflowers to groove on the dance floor. We are a band that does what
you thought only DJs could do.
Experience the beat. Now that you know who we are, the rest is up
to you. If you want to get up offa that thing, if you wanna sweat to
the beat, and make it last all night then come sweat with Blue Marble
Beat.
=95 11P Three Days in Vegas (alt/rock/ambient)
Three Days in Vegas is emerging as one of the southeast's most
relevant pop quartets in years. Their textured, almost orchestral
sounding guitars and speaking bass lines reference musical influences
ranging from Echo and the Bunnymen to U2. What makes 3DV special is
simply the melodic sensitivity of their songwriting and lack of
pretense. A byproduct of being musical children of the 80s, 3DV emotes
an ethereal quality that makes you feel like you've known their songs
without ever hearing them before.

Sunday October 11
=95 7:30P Aaron Mills Project - Sunday Night Jazz Jam
Starting at 7:30, Open Jam at 9
If you are in any way a fan of jazz, this is not to be missed !!!
Aaron Mills, best known as the audacious bassist of classic funk act
Cameo, has inspired a generation of groovy musicians, but his long
time love affair with jazz has inspired The Aaron Mills Project.
Aaron has been playing at the Cafe for a few months now, along with
Wayne Kee, Bobby Hinton, Warren Fraizer and others. Aaron has brought
Sunday night jazz back to the Cafe in a format that includes a cast of
regulars as well as featured guest musicians every week. Towards the
end of the evening, the night becomes an open jam, so, if anyone wants
to come blow their horn....

--
The Broad Street Cafe ...Food, Music, Spirits
1116 Broad Street

  • Broad Street Cafe - LOTS of FREE Music!, BSC, 10/08/2009