ch-scene - Eugene Chadbourne Saturday 10/3 at Marsh Woodwinds, webcast

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Todd Morman" <tmorman AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Eugene Chadbourne Saturday 10/3 at Marsh Woodwinds, webcast
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 08:09:44 -0500

Eugene Chadbourne's doing two solo sets this Saturday at Marsh Woodwinds. Doors open at 7, show starts at 8. If you don't know him, he's a Greensboro-based jazz/punk/country/noise guitarist who's been active for over 30 years, played with John Zorn in the influential NYC improv scene of the 70s, in Shockabilly, with Billy Bragg, Violent Femmes, Red Clay Ramblers, etc. The show will be simulcast on the locally-based internet radio station taintradio.org and available as a podcast soon after.

The early years - Shockabilly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olUZ9NN_keI
Live in Denmark 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz3KEPTda3A
Chadbourne plays the solo guitar music of John Zorn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHHSUKoHBys
etc.

The tweets, etc about his current European tour (we're getting him in between Liepzig and Istanbul) have been filled with words like "inspiring" and "amazing." He's unpredictable, so there's no telling what might turn up in the mix (I'm holding out hope for at least a little of his transcriptions of Bach for banjo), but that it'll be an anarchic, noisy, beautiful mix is a good bet.

It's BYOB. Marsh provides free food, too. $10 at the door.

todd full press release at www.taintradio.org morman