ch-scene - stuff to do, week of September 19, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of September 19, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:38:20 -0400

Thursday, September 17 - Sunday, September 20
SPARKcon musicSPARK (http://www.sparkcon.com/sparks/musicspark/)
Multiple Venues, Raleigh

musicSPARK is the music arm of the multi-disciplinary cultural
cross-pollenation conference called SPARKcon. There are a ton of shows
affiliated with SPARKcon; some of them I've highlighted specifically in
these listings, but many others I haven't, so check out the website for
the full lineup. http://www.sparkcon.com/sparks/musicspark/

Saturday, September 19
Arrogance (http://www.arrogance.us/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

It's the 40th anniversary of the locally-seminal 70s-era Triangle band
Arrogance.

Saturday, September 19
Andrew Weathers
Khristian Weeks
Sydney Koke
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

"an evening of improvisation" :: sydney koke (electronics), andrew
weathers (laptop), khristian weeks (electronics)

Saturday, September 19
Kooley High (http://www.myspace.com/kooleyhigh)
Darien Brockington (http://www.myspace.com/darienakadbrock)
YahZarah (http://www.myspace.com/yahzarah)
Carlitta Durand (http://www.myspace.com/missdurand)
Pour House, Raleigh

This is SoulSPARK, a special local-soul showcase hosted by Phonte
Coleman, as part of SPARKcon.

Saturday, September 19
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Now that Future Kings of Nowhere mastermind Shayne O'Neill lives in New
York, they only manage to play around here at the approximate rate that
most local bands do (as opposed to their pre-move every-8th-day schedule).

Saturday, September 19
Jaguar Club (http://www.jaguarclubofnyc.net)
Sea Cow
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
The Pinhook, Durham

Saturday, September 19
Inspector 22
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
Summertime Whisky Band (http://www.myspace.com/summertimewhiskyband)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Le Weekend are now a trio, but as it turns out, that doesn't make their
convoluted "pop" songs any easier to suss out.

Inspector 22's new album, "The Waiting Grave," is a clangorous low-fi
examination of death from a range of angles.

Saturday, September 19
Dead Meadow (http://www.deadmeadow.com)
Miniature Tigers (http://www.myspace.com/miniaturetigers)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, September 19
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls
(http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
The Infamous Sugar
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Richard Bacchus is by far the most entertaining garage-rock raconteur
currently gracing local stages.

Saturday, September 19
Amish Jihad (http://www.myspace.com/amishjihad)
Grappling Hook (http://www.myspace.com/torchmaraudersgrapplinghook)
Hot Graves (http://www.myspace.com/hotgraves)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sunday, September 20
Carrboro Music Festival (http://carrboromusicfestival.com/)
nearly everywhere, Carrboro

This is the umpteenth consecutive year of the Carrboro Music Festival,
which is one of the few times during the year that the local indie scene
overlaps with the larger world of local amateur / "roots" / bluegrass /
oldtime / jam / hip-hop / jazz / gospel/ prog / covers / etc music . . .
basically, the CMF is pretty wide-open, curatorially speaking. "Venues"
include traditional spaces like the ArtsCenter and the Cat's Cradle, as
well as a variety of parking lots & front porches all over Carrboro.
Full schedule here. http://carrboromusicfestival.com/2009Schedule.html

If I were going (I'll be at the beach), I'd make a point of seeing The
Tender Fruit, Killer Filler, Caltrop, John Howie Jr, Clang Quartet, The
Stars Explode, The Breaks & Pink Flag. Beyond that, you're on your own.

Sunday, September 20
Calico Haunts (http://www.myspace.com/calicohaunts)
Smoke & Feathers
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Calico Haunts just released their second album, "After All," and unless
there's a great unexpected local upheaval of awesomeness going into the
fourth quarter, it's heading straight for my year-end top-5 list. It's
spooky echoey country-rock, mostly, and at certain moments (my favorite
ones), it reminds me a bit of Leonard Cohen fronting Crazy Horse. In a
good way.

Sunday, September 20
Jaguar Club (http://www.jaguarclubofnyc.net)
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Death to the Details (http://www.reverbnation.com/deathtothedetails)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Monday, September 21
Andy the Doorbum
Emotron
Now We Are Six
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Tuesday, September 22
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
Robobilly (http://www.myspace.com/robobilly)
A Hawk and a Hacksaw
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, September 23
Aminal (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
Low Red Land (http://www.myspace.com/lowredland)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, September 23
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
Asobi Seksu (http://www.asobiseksu.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, September 24
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

It's the weekly Local Bands, Local Beers, although Future Kings of
Nowhere mainman Shayne O'Neill recently relocated to NYC. Dry Heathens
are still defiantly & definitively Durhamites.

Thursday, September 24
Honored Guests (http://www.thehonoredguests.com/)
Aminal (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
Low Red Land (http://www.myspace.com/lowredland)
The Pinhook, Durham

12:00 - AMINAL
11:00 - Low Red Land
10:00 - The Honored Guests

Thursday, September 24
Islands (http://www.myspace.com/islandsareforever)
Chain and the Gang
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Chain & the Gang are the latest incarnation of the Ian Svenonius (Nation
of Ulysses, the Make*Up) show.

Thursday, September 24
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Lollipop Factory (http://www.myspace.com/lollipopfactory)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Thursday, September 24
Instant Jones (http://www.myspace.com/instantjonesrocks)
The Alcazar Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/thealcazarhotel)
Decoration Ghost
Reservoir, Carrboro

Decoration Ghost are a new Greensboro supergroup of sorts, featuring
folks from Eagle Bravo/Manamid, Kudzu Wish, Urinal/Taija Rae, etc.

Friday, September 25
Billy Sugarfix (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billysugarfix.htm)
Carrboro Century Center, Carrboro

This afternoon (5:00 p.m.) show by Billy Sugarfix's chamber-folk trio
The Passwords is the free kickoff event to the Liminal Festival, a
festival of marginal music assembled by Wendy Spitzer (Lemming Malloy,
Felix Obelix, Gates of Beauty). http://liminalfestival.com/

Friday, September 25
Maserati (http://www.kindercore.com/maserati.html)
Mono (http://www.canal.ne.jp/~sound/mono/e_bio.html)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, September 25
John Howie, Jr. & The Rosewood Bluff
(http://www.myspace.com/rosewoodbluff)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, September 25
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Static Minds
The Last Tall Boy
Natural Science
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, September 25
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, September 26
Billy Sugarfix (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billysugarfix.htm)
Wes Phillips (http://www.myspace.com/wesleydongeroga)
Felix Obelix (http://www.myspace.com/felixobelix)
Organos
Bee vs. Moth
ArtsCenter, Carrboro

This is the Liminal Festival, assembled by Wendy Spitzer (Felix Obelix,
Lemming Malloy, etc). The website says "The Liminal Festival’s goals are
twofold: 1) to bring together musicians who are bridging genres, working
to integrate genres or otherwise bend the rules of traditional musical
genre, for performances to highlight the possibilities of this
cross-genre experimentation and 2) to expose listeners, especially
underserved or otherwise nontraditional audiences, to these
performances." http://liminalfestival.com/

Performers include Billy Sugarfix (whose first solo album, "Summer
Tempests," just came out last week, and is brilliant); Organos, the solo
debut by Schooner bassist Maria Albani; Wendy's own crazy-awesome
time-traveling artrock band Felix Obelix; Wes Phillips (ex-Ticonderoga),
plus a couple of out-of-town bands.

Between sets, the folks from Greensboro band Invisible will have their
Rhythm 1001 mechanical sequencer set up in the lobby. It's basically a
giant spinning metal disc with 1000s of holes for pegs, which can be
arranged to trigger a series of switches connected to various rhythm
devices.

Saturday, September 26
Inspector 22
Waumiss (http://www.myspace.com/waumiss)
Wild Wild Geese
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Inspector 22 will be appearing in a rare full-band format; this may or
may not be a release shindig for their recent "The Waiting Grave," which
is a crazy demented piece of low-fi aggro-folk about, well, Death.

It's definitely some sort of release party for the new Wild Wild Geese
EP. And any show with Waumiss on the bill is automatically a party.

Saturday, September 26
Black Skies (http://blackskies.us/)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Make
Local 506, Chapel Hill

A night of ultra-heaviness with massive dirge duo Curtains of Night, and
Sabbathy power trio Black Skies.

Saturday, September 26
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
The Pinhook, Durham

The Wigg Report are the best live band in Durham. Mark my words.

12:00 - Blood Red River
11:00 - The Wigg Report
10:00 - Birds and Arrows

Sunday, September 27
The Trousers
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls
(http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
The Infamous Sugar
Rocket Cottage
White Collar Crime, Raleigh

This is a benefit show for longtime Raleigh music-scene fixture (and my
upstate-SC homeboy) Tom Cushman, who got laid out flat by an extremely
heavy case of pneumonia which had him in the hospital & on a ventilator
for a while. Needless to say, he's now saddled with a ton of medical bills.

I've said it before & I suspect I'll say it again before we're done: it
sucks that people have to throw bake-sales and rock-shows to help pay
off medical bills in this country . . . but it's damn nice that so many
good people are willing to do it when necessary.

In addition to the bands listed above, Kenny Roby, Caitlin Cary, Gringo,
Man Will Destroy Himself, The Bleeding Hearts & Sea Legs are also on the
bill. Show starts at 3:00 p.m. Bring money.

Sunday, September 27
The Coathangers (http://www.myspace.com/fuckthecoathangers)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Coathangers are an all-woman band from Atlanta whose debut album was
chock-full of brilliant snotty synth-punk songs with titles like "Leave
My Shit Alone" and "Nestle in My Boobies." Their second album didn't
stick with me quite as much as the first, but it's a safe bet their live
show will be a winner of fall-down sloppy fun.

Monday, September 28
Graveyard Fields
School of Seven Bells (http://www.myspace.com/schoolofsevenbells)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, September 29
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
The Subjects
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, September 29
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
(http://www.myspace.com/thepainsofbeingpureatheart)
The Depreciation Guild (http://www.myspace.com/thedepreciationguild)
Cymbals Eat Guitars (http://www.myspace.com/cymbalseatguitars)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

  • stuff to do, week of September 19, 2009, grady, 09/19/2009