ch-scene - stuff to do, week of September 5, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of September 5, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 13:47:08 -0400

Saturday, September 5
Brunettes ( http://www.lilchiefrecords.com/brunettes/)
Throw Me the Statue (http://www.myspace.com/throwmethestatue)
Nurses (http://www.myspace.com/nurses)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, September 5
Greg Humphreys
John Dee Holeman
Carolina Chocolate Drops (http://www.carolinachocolatedrops.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, September 5
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
The Anti-bubbles
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Some people look at Lonnie Walker and Americans in France and see a new vanguard in local music. I see a couple of great indie-rock bands with idiosyncratic singers and a willingness to fuck with the form a little. And fall down.

Saturday, September 5
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
The Howlies (http://www.myspace.com/thehowlies)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies may have begun life as a girl-group lark, all shaky vocals, ringing bells & 60s outfits . . . but something funny happened along the way, via a whole lot of practice: They've turned into a wicked psych machine. A couple of the extended freakout jams on their EP II could take the top of yr head off.

Saturday, September 5
Straight 8s (http://www.straight8s.com)
Dirty Johnny and the Make-Believes (http://futureperfectmedia.com/dirtyjohnny.htm)
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This is billed as the Raleigh Rumble.

Sunday, September 6
Sleepy Sun (http://www.myspace.com/sleepysun)
The Strangers Family Band (http://www.myspace.com/strangersfamilyband)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Sunday, September 6
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Little Gold (http://www.myspace.com/littlegoldsongs)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Aimee is off on a short solo jaunt up the east coast & back down, and this show is on the return leg, so we can make a few predictions: she'll be a little tired, a *lot* stinky, and she should have some good stories to tell between songs.

As always, the songs will be brilliant, and the little tenor guitar will be quieter than is really practical for a rockclub, even one as small as Nightlight, so shut the fuck up & listen, already.

Sunday, September 6
Weedeater (http://www.berserkerrecords.com)
Broadslab (http://www.myspace.com/broadslab)
Righteous Fool
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Wilmington's Weedeater have been making their grimy take on Southern Metal for over a decade now; here's Grayson Currin's Pitchfork review of their 2007 [Steve Albini-produced] Southern Lord album "God Luck and Good Speed."

Righteous Fool are the new band of original Corrosion of Conformity rhythm section Reed Mullin & Mike Dean, with Jason Browning on guitar.

Sunday, September 6
Johnny Dodge
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Monday, September 7
Snüzzfest
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The website says: "A night of celebration of the music of our Snüzz! With appearances by members of: Tres Chicas Jeff Hart & The Ruins Squirrel Nut Zippers Hobex Simeon The Jackets Robert Sledge Band The Old Ceremony The Desmonds Plus reunion performance by International Orange and Big Kids reunites!"

Monday, September 7
Circulatory System (http://www.elephant6.com/bands/circulatory.html)
Pipes You See, Pipes You Don't (http://www.pipesyousee.com/)
Nesey Gallons (http://www.myspace.com/neseygallons)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, September 8
Shipwrecker (http://www.myspace.com/shipwreckermuzak)
Rich James
Jehova's Fitness (http://www.jehovasfitness.org/)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Tuesday, September 8
Chairlift (http://www.myspace.com/chairlift)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Just posting this in case you hadn't heard that Micachu & the Shapes are *not* playing this show.

Wednesday, September 9
Paul Burch (http://www.myspace.com/paulburch)
Birds or Monsters (http://www.myspace.com/birdsormonsters)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, September 9
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
GST Cardinals (http://www.myspace.com/gstcardinals)
Pour House, Raleigh

Wednesday, September 9
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Graveyard Fields
Sea Gaps
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, September 10
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

It's the weekly free Local Bands, Local Beers. Chapel Hill indie-rock meets straight-up Raleigh Rock.

Thursday, September 10
Fruit Bats (http://www.fruitbatsmusic.com/ )
Pronto (http://www.myspace.com/prontonyc)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, September 10
Once and Future Kings (http://www.myspace.com/onceandfuturekings)
It's Just Vanity (http://www.myspace.com/itsjustvanitync)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, September 11
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Brett Harris
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

The students are back, and with them the weekly Friday-afternoon Campus Concerts series in/around the Armadillo Grill in Duke's Bryan Center on West Campus. This time around it's the piano-driven pop of Brett Harris & the roots-pop of Luego.

Friday, September 11
Grappling Hook (http://www.myspace.com/torchmaraudersgrapplinghook)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Tooth (http://www.myspace.com/toothrocks)
The Claw (http://www.myspace.com/theclawmetal)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

This is an album release show for the blistering new Tooth/Claw split-EP . . . it's also a farewell to Tooth, who'll be playing their last show tonight. I guess they figured it was time to give another band the opportunity to be the best metal band in North Carolina.

Two possible contenders are opening the show: Curtains of Night are a massively heavy gtr/drums two-piece with screamed vocals; Grappling Hook are an organ-fueled space-rock juggernaut.

Friday, September 11
Thad Cockrell (http://www.thadcockrell.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

This is a CD-release for Thad; I believe it's his first since he moved back home from Nashville.

Friday, September 11
Mount Moriah (http://www.myspace.com/mountmoriah)
Ryan Gustafson (http://www.myspace.com/ryangustafsonmusic)
Mandolin Orange (http://www.myspace.com/mandolinorange)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, September 11
Man Will Destroy Himself
Gringo
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, September 12
Billy Sugarfix (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billysugarfix.htm)
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a CD-release for the new Billy Sugarfix album, which is both his saddest and his finest. It may be a little light on the theremin, but it's heavy on the songwriting & the beautiful pop arrangements.

Saturday, September 12
The Tender Fruit (http://www.myspace.com/thetenderfruit)
The Daredevil Christopher Wright (http://www.myspace.com/thedaredevilchristopherwright)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Every time I hear the Tender Fruit, my admiration grows. I've seen a lot of singer-songwriters in my life, and heard a lot of country/folk duos, so many that they all just run together in a big smear in my mind. But the Tender Fruit stand distinct, both for Christy Smith's powerhouse voice, and her ear for tiny, perfect details (and her good sense to not overpower a song with too many of them).

Saturday, September 12
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
The Demon Beat
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is an after-party for the Carolina Rollergirls, so expect a level of mayhem exceeding that of even a normal Red Collar show.

Saturday, September 12
All Your Science
Gross Ghost (http://www.myspace.com/grossghost)
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
The Pinhook, Durham

All Your Science are a guitar/drums duo whose mix of delicate, chiming guitar & frenetic drums remind me, on occasion, of Spatula. Gross Ghost are one of several bands featuring Mike Dillon, formerly of Spader. Veelee are a new minimalist-pop duo put together by Matthew Park (ex-Opening Flower Happy Bird).

Saturday, September 12
Taz Halloween (http://www.robertgriffin.com/people/taz.html)
New Town Drunks (http://www.newtowndrunks.com/)
John Howie & the Sweethearts
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release for the second New Town Drunks album, "The Ballad of Stayed and Gone." It's more mature (and less profane) than their debut of a few years ago, but it's still a caustic look at working-class living in America.

Saturday, September 12
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
The Houstons
Scott McCall
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, September 13
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Midtown Dickens are still riding the high of releasing their second album, "Lanterns" (and not burning down the Duke Coffeehouse in the process). It's a little more mature, and more melancholy, than their debut; there's a thread of regret but also optimism that runs through it.

They're more or less a full-time five-piece now, but the range of potential instruments that could appear on any given song hovers well into the double digits.

Things get underway at 4:00 p.m. & can be heard at 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, September 13
Son Volt (http://www.sonvolt.net/)
Sera Cahoone (http://www.seracahoone.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Monday, September 14
100 Yorktown (http://www.geocities.com/onehundredyorktown/)
Jettison Never
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Tuesday, September 15
... Trail of Dead ... (http://www.trailofdead.com/)
The Secret Machines (http://thesecretmachines.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, September 15
Shiloh (http://www.shilohtheband.com)
Pride Parade
River City Ransom
Reservoir, Carrboro

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of September 5, 2009, grady, 09/05/2009