ch-scene - Broad Street Cafe - LOTS of FREE Music!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Broad Street Cafe - LOTS of FREE Music!
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 04:48:05 -0700 (PDT)

Don't forget about our upcoming Beer Dinner! Get your tix now (limited
supply)!
Monday August 31 at 7pm -BSC/Foothills Brewing 5 Course Beer Dinner
$30/person - Tickets available at The Broad Street Cafe and Sam's Quik
Stop
To see the menu, go here:
http://www.thebroadstreetcafe.com/Announcements/BSCFoothilllsDinner.pdf

Wednesday August 26
=95 7:30P Open Mic Night
Open Mic is arranged to enable anyone to perform, so all you have to
do is turn up early and get your name down to perform. Originals and
cover music of every style and genre are welcome! Open mic is a great
way to practice your art and can also can be a proving ground for new
talent and material. The audience consists of singers, poets,
songwriters and music lovers so the atmosphere should be warm and
encouraging for everybody.

Thursday August 27
=95 8P Kenny Roby (rock/folk rock/pop)
In the mid to late 90=92s, as a founding member of the band Six String
Drag, Kenny Roby established himself as one of the main songwriting
forces behind the Americana/Roots Rock movement. Six String Drag
played a major role in the early success of Steve Earle and Jack
Emerson=92s E Squared label. Roby and his band toured nationally with
Earle and other acts and also gained a strong following on the east
coast and the midwest. The band was featured on the soundtrack to the
Grammy nominated film You Can Count On Me and garnered much critical
acclaim for their E Squared release High Hat. In 1998 the band broke
up and Roby continued with a solo career releasing two more critically
acclaimed albums Mercury=92s Blues and Rather Not Know. Roby=92s writing
and singing have been praised by Billboard, The Philadelphia Inquirer,
The Boston Phoenix, The Washington Post, Option, No Depression,
Performing Songwriter and many other publications. Kenny has also been
featured on NPR=92s All Songs Considered and Acoustic Cafe and has
received extensive national airplay on NPR, Americana and AAA radio
stations. Ryan Adams has claimed Roby as as an influential writer on
his and his former band Whiskeytown=92s music. Adams featured Roby=92s
song Rather Not Know on NPR=92s All Songs Considered in 2004. (in a
segment called You Play the Dj: Artist=92s Picks) As well, Adams
recently mentioned Roby in Rolling Stone as the best songwriter that
not many people have heard of.
=95 10P Shawn Luby of Humble Tripe (americana/country/bluegrass)

Friday August 28
=95 8P Spencer Sholes (alt/folk rock/funk)
Lifelong musician, songwriter. Specializing in guitar and vocals.
Playing original music wherever I can get in the door.
=95 10P The Highlines (rock)
A three piece rock band currently based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The
group is Derek, Danny and Johnny we=92re from Bastrop, Louisiana Baton
Rouge, Louisiana and San Diego, California. Writing, creating and
performing our music is a mutual passion between the each of us. Most
of the time we get along, sometimes we disagree, we all have separate,
crazy, busy, wonderfully chaotic lives and yet we always stay on track
with the help of friends, fans, opportunities and the common goal that
surrounds us. To continue and finish what we started. Not only for
each of us but for the ones we love and that love us back. The ones
that stand by us and believe in us=85our families, friends and fans who
have raised us, saved us and sheltered us on tour and for the constant
listeners coming to shows everywhere singing along, expecting more and
more. When we are home we want to be on tour and on tour we sometimes
want to be home. We are learning more and more about music, each other
and our own lives everyday and we have a long road to travel. But as
long as you are willing to listen to the words we say and the songs we
play, here, there or anywhere we promise to continue giving all we can
give on stage, in the studio and as people. Thank you for everything.

Saturday August 29
=95 8P Adam Sampieri (folk/rock/fok rock)
>From the woods of Northern NJ to the streets of Bull City NC and
straight at ya! Adam Sampieri is a Durham-based singer-songwriter with
a wide array of influences including Dylan, the Dead, From Good Homes,
the Meters, and Queen. His style has always been an open playing field
for what feels right, rather than what seems to be deemed right. The
result is a high-energy performance that fits no prefab mold and wears
no badge: percussive, soulful, roots-based acoustic songwriting with
no fear, no lies, and no sad introspection.
=95 10P Nova Stella (folk rock/funk/rock)
Nova Stella=92s sound has been described as =93A funk band that ate a folk
singer=94, which gives you a pretty good idea of how eclectic Nova
Stella=92s sound truly is. With influences that range from Funk, Rock,
Alternative Rock, Jazz, Folk, to Blues, they still manage to create a
cohesive, thick sound with powerful grooves, and tons of texture and
melody. Nova Stella officially began in early 2008, but the origin of
the band started way before then.
The members of Nova Stella have are a road tested group of guys.
Bands that their members have been a part of include, The Whole
Quarter Foot, Innocent Nixon, Junction, Avery, The Shannon Webb Band,
Those Meddling Kids, and a few more than any of them can keep up with.

Sunday August 30
=95 7:30P Aaron Mills Project - Sunday Night Jazz Jam
Starting at 7:30, Open Jam at 9

If you are in any way a fan of jazz, this is not to be missed !!!
Aaron Mills, best known as the audacious bassist of classic funk act
Cameo, has inspired a generation of groovy musicians, but his long
time love affair with jazz has inspired The Aaron Mills Project.
Aaron has been playing at the Cafe for a few months now, along with
Wayne Kee, Bobby Hinton, Warren Fraizer and others. Aaron has brought
Sunday night jazz back to the Cafe in a format that includes a cast of
regulars as well as featured guest musicians every week. Towards the
end of the evening, the night becomes an open jam, so, if anyone wants
to come blow their horn....

--
The Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad Street in Durham

  • Broad Street Cafe - LOTS of FREE Music!, BSC, 08/25/2009