ch-scene - fiery furnaces tonight

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: fiery furnaces tonight
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:02:22 -0400

Well, crap. I wrote this up but then just realized it never posted to my site because I put the wrong date on it in the database. Here's what I wrote, anyway:

Fiery Furnaces
Cat's Cradle
Monday, August 17

I'll freely admit that, after some initial interest, I kinda stopped paying attention to the Fiery Furnaces. I can pinpoint the exact moment, in fact: I was standing on the right-hand side of the Cradle, and they were about 45 minutes into their infamous "one long 90-minute medley of snippets of our songs" set during the Gallowsbird's Bark tour. Drove me nuts, and though I listened to Blueberry Boat a few times when it came out, somehow the thrill was gone. (and the very premise of Rehearsing My Choir was too much for me . . .)

A few weeks ago, their new one, "I'm Going Away," leaked, so I downloaded it out of a combination of idle curiosity and illicit 21st-century thrill.

Imagine my surprise when I started listening to it & discovered that it's absolutely fantastic. The best comparison I've come up with, over the past few weeks of heavy listening, is "if a young Chrissie Hynde had fallen in with the Eno-era Roxy Music." In other words, it rocks, structurally, but there are still plenty of bizarro instrumental blurts & bleeps.

Of course, as we've learned the hard way, that's no predictor of the live show. I did get a clue via email from Thrill Jockey: "This time around Matt is only playing guitar so all of the keyboard parts on the new record will disappear and be replaced by arrangements for the guitar making for a rough and more "rock" live experience. Jason Loewenstein (of Sebadoh) and Robert D'Amico will hold down the rhythm section on this tour again."