ch-scene - stuff to do, week of August 8, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of August 8, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 17:45:34 -0400

Saturday, August 8
This Thing We Did Fest (http://www.myspace.com/ttwdfest)
Old Gilliam Mill Park, Sanford

Holy crap, check out the lineup for this fest that the guys from Dr. Powerful (including ex-Polvo drummer Eddie Watkins) dreamed up:

TTWD is an all day music festival held at the Old Gilliam Mill Park outside of Sanford, NC on August 8, 2009. The park is a replica of a 19th century grist mill, and it is a great place to see music. Bands play in an amphitheatre style setting on a stage that looks like the front porch of an old shack. It has sort of an “Austin City Limits” feel. There are campsites with electricity, running water, bathrooms, and showers. There is also a full kitchen onsite, and food and beverages will be provided by Bella Bistro.

The lineup we have this year is nothing short of incredible:

- Hammer No More the Fingers
- Auxes
- Fin Fang Foom
- I Was Totally Destroying It
- Embarrassing Fruits
- Caverns
- Renminbi
- Vinny Vegas
- White Tiger & the Bed of Roses
- Dr. Powerful
- Starmount
- Hymn All the Fires
- Ol' North State

If you want to come out, point your GPS to 4613 Carbonton Rd, SANFORD, North Carolina 27330 (This is the closest physical address to the park. The park itself is on Hwy 42/Carbonton Road in between Wakefield Road and Pickard Road.)

Saturday, August 8
Franz Nicolay (http://www.myspace.com/franznicolay)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Franz Nicolay is the handlebar-mustachioed keyboard player in the Hold Steady; I think he's also in (or has been in) World Inferno/Friendship Society. Note that this show was moved to Saturday the 8th, and will happen promptly at 9:00 in order to leave room for the punkrock show happening later.

Saturday, August 8
De La Soul (http://www.myspace.com/delasoul)
Kaze (http://www.souldojo.com/)
Big Pooh (http://www.myspace.com/rapperbigpooh)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, August 8
Nomo (http://www.nomomusic.com/)
DJ Jason Perlmutter (http://www.myspace.com/jasonperlmutter)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Jason Perlmutter is a Carolina Soul obsessive, the man behind the amazing Carolina Soul compilation CD that came out a couple of years ago, and a longtime WXYC DJ. (I once saw him DJ at an XYC/XDU prom, where he played an entire set of vintage big-hole 45's without an adapter, intentionally off-center)

Saturday, August 8
The Breaks
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Killer Filler are the lounge/surf instrumental outfit fronted by Crispy Bess & featuring the dulcet tones of Lud guitarist Bryon Settle. The Breaks are a glammy rockband of local veterans, including former What Peggy Wants frontman John Ensslin.

Sunday, August 9
Keegan DeWitt (http://www.keegandewitt.com/)
The Tomahawks (http://www.myspace.com/jeffcrawfordmusic)
Annie and the Beekeepers (http://www.myspace.com/annielynch)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, August 10
Thee Fine Lines (http://www.weerockrecords.com/finelines.html)
The Corduroy Road (http://www.myspace.com/thecorduroyroad)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, August 11
The Poonhounds
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Pour House, Raleigh

This is listed as Parnin-Palooza, and it's a night of dirty, charismatic rock-n-roll.

Tuesday, August 11
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Motor Skills
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Lonnie Walker are from Greenville & Raleigh, and they make indie-rock that reminds me of Dylany Pavement. Future Islands used to be from Greenville, but they relocated to Baltimore, where their brand of sweet Casiotone keyboard-driven indie-dance-pop is more at home.

Tuesday, August 11
Birds & Arrows (http://www.myspace.com/birdsandarrows)
Where the Buffalo Roamed (http://www.myspace.com/wherethebuffaloroamed)
The Native Young
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, August 12
Akron/Family (http://www.younggodrecords.com/product.asp?P_ID=37)
Mount Moriah (http://www.myspace.com/mountmoriah)
Wooden Wand (http://www.woodenwand.net/ )
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Mount Moriah started out quite a while ago as one of the many Jenks Miller projects; they put out at least one sad, beautiful album (2003's The Black Current) as a minimalist solo/duo. Lately, though, they're a larger band, and the mode is a more ebullient country/folk/rock.

Wednesday, August 12
Tin Star (http://www.myspace.com/tinstarnc)
The Drowning Lovers (http://www.reverbnation.com/thedrowninglovers)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tin Star just released an excellent debut EP, Bettie Lane, on Fractured Discs. It's centered equally on Jamie Miyares's piano and high, occasionally unnerving voice, and Louis Botta's often-distorted guitar, which wanders all over in the background.

Wednesday, August 12
Minor Stars (http://www.myspace.com/minorstars)
The Weather Kings (http://www.myspace.com/weatherkingsband)
Panda Riot (http://www.myspace.com/pandariot)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Thursday, August 13
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Rocket Cottage
Erectus Monotone (http://mergerecords.com/artists/erectus_monotone)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Erectus Monotone were active from the very late 80s til the very early 90s. Historically speaking, there's nothing I can say about them here that Brian Walsby doesn't do better here: http://introvertedloudmouth.blogspot.com/2009/07/erectus-monotone-reforms.html

They reunited for the first time in 16+ years last month at XXMerge, but the seeds may or may not have been planted last summer, when Superchunk covered "The Day the Sharks Flew" at a Cy Rawls benefit & invited Jennifer & Kevin along to help out.

Either way, their XXMerge set was one of my top-5 of the whole week. There were a lot of "together for the first time in years" bands at XXMerge, but with the exception of a couple of false starts, you really couldn't tell with Erectus. They were every bit as tightly-wound and spazzy as their records would suggest.

So it's a huge treat to get the chance to see them again so soon after XXMerge, and I'm sorry to the boys in Rocket Cottage (who're fixing to release their debut EP) that having Erectus Monotone on the bill means they're getting overshadowed a bit (although I know they're as psyched as I am about getting to see EM again).

Thursday, August 13
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Jason Dove (http://www.myspace.com/jasondove)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 13
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
The Sidekicks (http://www.myspace.com/sidekicks)
The Pinhook, Durham

Thursday, August 13
Prabir and the Substitutes (http://www.prabirandthesubstitutes.com/)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
How I Became the Bomb
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

If Erectus Monotone, Rocket Cottage & the Loners finish up in time, head over to Slims & see if you can catch the pissed-off, Replacementsy bar-rock of Durham's Dry Heathens.

Friday, August 14
Andrew Weathers
Khristian Weeks
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

This is listed as an "experimental guitar show."

Friday, August 14
The Books (http://www.thebooksmusic.com)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Note that the Books' September Cradle date has been cancelled, so this is your [only, for now] chance.

Friday, August 14
John Howie
Calico Haunts (http://www.myspace.com/calicohaunts)
Wild Wild Geese
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, August 14
Bringerer (http://www.myspace.com/bringerer)
Tin Star (http://www.myspace.com/tinstarnc)
Simeon
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Simeon is a band fronted by Simeon Berkley, who played guitar in the Mind Sirens for a big chunk of that band's 90s existence. Tin Star you've heard a lot about lately; Tin Star drummer Bart Moyers also plays in Bringerer, along with Ron Liberti and Shawn Albert.

Friday, August 14
Javelins
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Lonnie Walker are from Greenville & Raleigh, and they make indie-rock that reminds me of Dylany Pavement. Future Islands used to be from Greenville, but they relocated to Baltimore, where their brand of sweet Casiotone keyboard-driven indie-dance-pop is more at home.

Friday, August 14
Whale Watchers (http://www.myspace.com/thewhalewatchers)
Gospel Years
Lushfarm
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, August 15
Amy Ray (http://www.daemonrecords.com/beta/amy/amy.html)
Bellafea (http://www.bellafea.com/)
Humble Tripe (http://www.myspace.com/shawnluby)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I believe Melissa York & Kaia Wilson (both ex-Butchies, ex-Team Dresch) played on Amy Ray's latest album, and are joining her on this tour.

Saturday, August 15
Pipe (http://www.mrg2000.com/merge/bio.html?id=pipe)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Holy shit. The original lineup of Pipe (Dave Alworth, Mike Kenlan, Chuck Garrison & Ron Liberti) reunited to play XXMerge, and I swear to god, it was like walking into a Pipe show circa 1993. They were loosey-tighty in the same old way; Chuck's drumming was as massive as always; Ron was snatching beercans out of the air & tossing them back into the crowd as though it's something he still does on a weekly basis.

How lucky for you (and me), then, that they decided to play one or two additional shows for the 98% of their fans who couldn't make it to XXMerge. If you've ever seen Pipe, then I shouldn't have to tell you (but seriously: every bit as great as ever). If you've *never* seen Pipe . . . just go. GO.

Saturday, August 15
Ghost to Falco (http://www.purevolume.com/GhosttoFalco)
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
Oblisk (http://www.myspace.com/oblisk)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, August 15
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Impossible Arms
Auxes (http://www.myspace.com/auxes)
Pros & Cons
Local 506, Chapel Hill

des_ark are one of the finest rockbands in North Carolina, period. 2 guitars, drums, Aimee Argote's banshee wail.

Impossible Arms put out an album earlier this year that was sorta evenly-split between hooky Cheap Trick-style rock, and heavier Crazy Horse-like stoner jams.

Saturday, August 15
Straight 8s (http://www.straight8s.com)
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Resist Not (http://www.resistnot.net)
The Pinhook, Durham

12:00 - Resist Not!
11:00 - Blood Red River
10:00 - Straight 8's

Saturday, August 15
The Infamous Sugar
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, August 16
Starlight Mints (http://www.starlightmints.com)
JP Inc (http://www.myspace.com/pleaseeasaur)
Parachute (http://weareparachute.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, August 16
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
Make
The Beatings (http://www.thebeatings.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Monday, August 17
The Warlocks (http://www.thewarlocks.com/)
The Morning After Girls (http://www.myspace.com/themorningaftergirls)
The Vandelles (http://www.myspace.com/thevandelles)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, August 18
The Natural Gallerie
My Teenage Stride (http://www.myspace.com/myteenagestride)
Knight School (http://www.myspace.com/knightschoolmusic)
The Pinhook, Durham

11:00 - The Natural Gallerie
10:00 - My Teenage Stride
9:00 - Knight School

Tuesday, August 18
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
It's Just Vanity (http://www.myspace.com/itsjustvanitync)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, August 18
919Noise Showcase
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Jakuta & Karl (Durham) / Sooty Foots (Charlotte) / Subscape Annex (Raleigh) / Avant Lard (Bynum) / short set by Weather Machine (the Universe)

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------