ch-scene - new macbook pro audio question

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: koegler AT email.unc.edu
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: new macbook pro audio question
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:56:39 -0400

(I haven't done much audio recording on a macbook, but plan to)

The newly released 13" aluminum macbook pro has ditched the dedicated audio line in and now has a combined in/out headphone-audio in jack. I'm not clear on how this would affect recording, like if I plugged in a little outboard mixer and ran it into the computer, would I not be able to monitor the audio in the computer? My little mixer does not have a USB out.

Here's the specs:
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTIyMDI

On the Electrical Audio page, someone said the following:

"That new audio jack lost the digital I/O and is just like the iphone headset jacks apparently. That means stereo out and mono in on one plug."

But does this mean one can only record in mono to the machine via this port?

fyi--I'm a mac user and don't want to change to a PC.

Thanks.

RK