ch-scene - stuff to do, week of May 30, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of May 30, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 16:32:14 -0400

Saturday, May 30
Wayne Hancock (http://www.waynehancock.com)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This is an early (7:00 p.m.!) show.

Saturday, May 30
Black Bull: A Durham Cabaret (http://chasefoster.blogspot.com/2009/05/black-bull-durham-cabaret.html)
The Pinhook, Durham

All I know about this cabaret is that it's hosted by a drag queen (of course! this is Durham, for chrissake) & it seems likely that there'll be a cross-section of other Durham weirdness represented.

Saturday, May 30
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Impossible Arms
Uncle Woody Sullender (http://www.deadceo.com/unclewoody/)
Actual Persons (Living or Dead) (http://www.myspace.com/actualpersonslivingordead)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

One part stoned Cheap Trick/Crazy Horse-ism, one part sinister pop, one part ex-pat avant-garde banjo, and one part Durham K-Recs-style supergroup.

Saturday, May 30
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Western Civ. (http://westerncivrock.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is a benefit for the Blotter magazine. A Rooster for the Masses are a political dance-pop-rock band from Raleigh, [more than] a little bit influenced by UK postpunk of the early 80s. Western Civ are an Indie Rock band; hard to miss the moments of Pavementism on their most recent album "Shower The People You Love With Gold."

Sunday, May 31
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Kenny Roby's Mercy Filter (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Tin Star
Rebus Works, Raleigh

Rebus Works is an art gallery on the corner of Boylan Heights, next to the bridge; in addition to being great folks with a good eye for art, the owners have been involved in the local music scene for literally decades. Periodically they have outdoor festivals in the little cul-de-sac in front of their gallery. Here's the info about the latest:

RebusFest3 will be here in just a few days, and we hope that you can join us! The big party takes place on Sunday, May 31, from 1-6 p.m. There will be music (see the band line-up below), art, kid’s crafts, Locopops, beer (from Carolina Brewing Company), and food, too!

MUSIC
1-2 / Tin Star
2-3 / Magic Babies
3-4 / Dirty Little Heaters
4-5 / Kenny Roby’s Mercy Filter
5-6 / The Loners

DJ Midnite Cowbwoy will be spinning between the sets.

ART: Julie Armbruster, Matthew Barton, Gabriella Corter, Captive Collective, Johanna Ely, Sivana Gur, Celia Gray, Abie Harris, Emily Soldin Howard, Curtis Krueger, Clifton May, Sonya Coulson Rook, Ronnie Tomany, and Lauren Turner.

Sunday, May 31
Joe Swank and the Zen Pirates (http://www.myspace.com/joeswankandthezenpirates)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Second and final chance to check out Joe Swank & his Zen Pirates before he jets back to his big-city life in Chicago.

Monday, June 1
Boat Burning (http://www.myspace.com/boatburning)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, June 2
CJ Boyd (http://www.cjboyd.com/)
Bicameral Mind (http://www.myspace.com/bicamind)
Jae
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, June 2
Deleted Scenes
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
I Was a King (http://www.myspace.com/iwasaking)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Deleted Scenes are some kinda DC-area indierock superstars (on the indierock scale, that is, not the regular scale -- 8.0 in Pitchfork, not 4 stars in Rolling Stone). Pink Flag are most definitely Durham-area superstars, on the intergalactic scale.

Wednesday, June 3
Thad Cockrell (http://www.thadcockrell.com/)
Sarah P. Duke Gardens, Durham

This summer's Duke Performances "Music in the Gardens" series is even more indie-rock-centric than last summer's. After one or two preliminary chamber-music sessions, the series begins in earnest this week with the heartwrenching country-gospel of Thad Cockrell. Thad's a preacher's boy, but contrary to the popular cliche, he hasn't turned his back on the church, so much as struggled to make room for both it and country music in his life. It's a struggle that has taken him to Nashville for a time, but now he's back & fully ours again.

These shows are outdoors, and start around 7:00 p.m. Last year they were by far my favorite shows of the summer.

Wednesday, June 3
The Ghost of Saturday Nite (http://www.myspace.com/theghostofsaturdaynite)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Righteous Fool
Pour House, Raleigh

Richard Bacchus & his Luckiest Girls make good old-fashioned comb-yr-hair-with-PBR rock-n-roll, with a healthy dose of showmanship, and an equally healthy dose of self-awareness of the absurdity of it all.

Wednesday, June 3
Battle Rockets (http://www.myspace.com/battlerockets)
Andrew Weathers
Ghost Cats From the South
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, June 3
Two Planes (http://www.myspace.com/twoplanesnoise)
Like Bells (http://www.myspace.com/likebells)
John Wilkes Boothe and the Black Toothe (http://www.myspace.com/johnwilkesbootheandtheblacktoothe)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, June 4
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
The Stars Explode (http://www.myspace.com/thestarsexplode)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is the weekly Local Bands, Local Beers night. The Stars Explode are a new popband from longtime local pop-star Doug Edmunds (Gladhands, Violet Vector).

Thursday, June 4
Resist Not (http://www.resistnot.net)
Death to the Details (http://www.reverbnation.com/deathtothedetails)
Lonely Are the Brave (http://www.myspace.com/latbdc)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, June 5
Language Arts (http://www.languageartsmusic.com)
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
The Great White Jenkins (http://www.tgwj.com/)
The Tender Fruit (http://www.myspace.com/thetenderfruit)
Tin Star (http://www.myspace.com/tinstarnc)
Trotter Building, Durham

I got an email about this one (CPSFC = Central Park School for Children):

The CPSFC benefit concert/skill share auction is taking place next Friday, June 5th at the Trotter building in Durham (410 W Geer St) from 6-11pm. It's an all ages event. Suggested donation of $10 at the door.

More info can be found at: cpsfcsaveourarts.weebly.com

Beer Provided By: FullSteam Brewery

Food By: OnlyBurger

Music By:
Language Arts
The Never w/dancers from NC Dance Institute
The Great White Jenkins
Sweet By and By
The Tender Fruit (Christy Smith of Nola)
Tin Star
Phil Cook and His Feet (Megafaun)

Friday, June 5
The English Beat (http://www.myspace.com/officialbeatspace)
Outlaw Nation (http://www.myspace.com/outlawnation)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, June 5
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Paleface
Holy Ghost Tent Revival (http://www.myspace.com/hgtr)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

It has been TOO LONG since I've seen Midtown Dickens, who seem to add new members/instruments every couple of months. At this rate they're probably a 38-piece by now. Still the same stripped-down goofy beautiful comicbook-art-folk, only biggerer.

If you like Bombadil & the Avett Brothers, it seems reasonable to assume you'll like Holy Ghost Tent Revival. If not, you might need to consider whether you're liking those other 2 bands for the wrong reasons.

Friday, June 5
Instant Jones (http://www.myspace.com/instantjonesrocks)
The Alcazar Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/thealcazarhotel)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, June 5
Whale Watchers (http://www.myspace.com/thewhalewatchers)
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Radio Taiwan
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Simple did one of those mysterious not-live-radio WKNC recording sessions a while back, and I'm told the results can be downloaded, for free, here: http://wknc.org/blog/post/3721/sessionsknc-yeah-were-back/.

Saturday, June 6
The Great White Jenkins (http://www.tgwj.com/)
Phil Cook
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Second chance to see Phil Cook et al, if you aren't able to make the Central Park School benefit Friday night.

Saturday, June 6
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Mike Slaton (http://www.myspace.com/mikeslatonandthewheels)
The Pinhook, Durham

Saturday, June 6
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
The Travesties (http://www.myspace.com/travestiesnc)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Show of the week for local-music fans. Erie Choir's "Slighter Awake" is still a high-water mark for 2000s-era local releases. The Travesties take the original Jett Rink formula, slow it down & groove it up a little. Magic Babies are from Raleigh, but they're more Badfinger than Foghat.

Saturday, June 6
Inspector 22
Wild Wild Geese
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, June 6
+/- (http://myspace.com/plusslashminus)
By Any Means Necessary
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

It's FrequeNC Records night, so you also get DJs Juan V and Ryan Martin.

Saturday, June 6
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Chrome Plated Apostles (http://www.demonbeach.com)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Two full barrels of dirty garage-stomp.

Saturday, June 6
Oedipus Dick (http://www.oedipusdick.com/)
The Trousers
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, June 7
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Where the Buffalo Roamed (http://www.myspace.com/wherethebuffaloroamed)
Pushy Lips (http://www.myspace.com/pushylips)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Sunday, June 7
The White Cascade (http://www.myspace.com/thewhitecascade)
Drakes Hotel
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Monday, June 8
Detroit Cobras (http://www.motorcityrocks.com/cobras.htm)
The Dex Romweber Duo (http://www.bloodshotrecords.com/artist/dex-romweber-duo)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Everybody's abuzz about Jack White taking the Dex Romweber Duo into his studio to record a new single. What isn't said enough is that when Jack White cites Dex & Flat Duo Jets as a primary influence, he's just stating the obvious (and I'm sure he'd freely admit that he's still working up to recording something/anything as brilliant as, say, Go Go Harlem Baby). Still, it's nice when the out-of-towners acknowledge the truth.

Monday, June 8
The Begin-Agains (http://www.myspace.com/thebeginagains)
Ascetic Parade (http://www.asceticparade.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, June 9
X (http://www.xtheband.com)
Steve Soto and Twisted Hearts (http://www.myspace.com/stevesotoandtwistedhearts)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The last time X came through, I broke my longstanding "no reunion tours" rule and, as is usually the case, I wound up regretting it. Don't get me wrong: they were tight, and energetic, and they played the shit out of their back catalog. It sort of alternated between feeling like I was listening to the records, and feeling like I was watching the world's best X cover band.

But that's not why I go see bands I love. I go see bands I love to see what's new, to hear them play new material, or old material different ways, or to learn more about them via their choice of covers. I go because I like watching great musicians (or great people on the way towards becoming great musicians) learning from each other, and growing in the process.

So the hardcore X fans will have to forgive me if I came away disappointed that this band, whose music I still love dearly, seemed to be playing it awfully safe. For a band who built a whole second career around their love for classic country music, for instance, I found it just-plain-odd that the *only* cover they played all night was "Soul Kitchen," which is as much their song as the Doors', at this point.

Tuesday, June 9
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Rebekah.Ann (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
Andy Gardner (http://www.myspace.com/andygardner)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is the new/current, fixing-to-move-away Shayne-only solo version of the FKoN.

Tuesday, June 9
The Alcazar Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/thealcazarhotel)
Panda Force (http://www.myspace.com/pandaforceband)
Hokums Heroes