ch-scene - Broad Street Cafe - Lots of Great FREE Music in Durham!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Broad Street Cafe - Lots of Great FREE Music in Durham!
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 07:20:50 -0700 (PDT)

Oh, yea...and great wood fired pizza...10 draft beers...20+ bottled
beers...full bar...free wifi...

Tuesday May 19
=95 8:30P High Strung Music's Old Time Jam w/ Aaron Greenhood
Old-time music is a form of North American folk music, with roots in
the folk musics of many countries, including England, Scotland,
Ireland and Africa. This musical form developed along with various
North American folk dances, such as square dance, buck dance, and
clogging. The genre also encompasses ballads and other types of folk
songs. It is played on acoustic instruments, generally centering on a
combination of fiddle and plucked string instruments (most often the
guitar and banjo).

Wednesday May 20
=95 7:30P Open Mic Night
Open Mic is arranged to enable anyone to perform, so all you have to
do is turn up early and get your name down to perform. Originals and
cover music of every style and genre are welcome! Open mic is a great
way to practice your art and can also can be a proving ground for new
talent and material. The audience consists of singers, poets,
songwriters and music lovers so the atmosphere should be warm and
encouraging for everybody.

Thursday May 21
=95 8P Soulless Dogs (funk/blues/jazz)
"Soulless Dogs Blues Band left my jaw on the table with their major
chops and fireball singer."
-Brian Howe, Independent Weekly, Durham, NC
=95 10P The Huguenots (pop)
Often times, band biographies come across as contrived and ridden with
clich=E9, full of "coming to a town near you" and "forming a unique
synthesis of blah blah blah," often resulting in something that reads
like it was written by a computer, nonetheless making the band at
stake seem both prefabricated and entirely boring. So, in an effort to
distance ourselves from this trend, we will try to be as concise as
possible: We love pop music. We like songs that are under 3 1/2
minutes. We love things that are timeless (be it clothes, instruments,
sounds). We love rock and roll. We are not going for "unique
syntheses" or trying to "expand your horizons" or "create a tenuous
but altogether real personal connection" through our music. Rather our
philosophy comes more closely to, in the words of esteemed sonic
explorer Panda Bear,
"Try to remember always just to have a good time"
If this combination doesn't sound entirely distasteful to you (and the
music above is properly invigorating), come see us when we play.
Listen to our songs. Dance along if you feel so inclined. That is
about as much as we can ask.
=95 11:30P The Rosewood Thieves (folk/soul)
Spearheaded by singer/songwriter Erick Jordan, the Rosewood Thieves'
music harkens back to the classicality of acts such as the Band and
Bob Dylan. Their songs are entwined with the stripped-down
fundamentals of Rock & Roll and the sensuality of R&B. Country music's
bleeding heart is the final straw that completes the Rosewood Thieves
honest-to-goodness presentation. Jordan's raspy vocal delivery is
earnest and charming like a young John Lennon, but convincingly more
impressive than his twenty one years of age.

Friday May 22
=95 8P Adam Sampieri (folk/rock/fok rock)
=95 9:30 Sea Cow (rock/americana/melodramatic popular song)
Sea Cow is a five-piece band based in Durham, NC. It plays original,
rootsy guitar-based rock with rich vocal harmonies and bile-filled-yet-
whimsical lyrics. The band's first CD, The Vast Uncharted, was
recorded by Stratocruiser=92s Mike Nicholson and features a stirring
guest performance by Tres Chicas and ex-Whiskeytown fiddler Caitlin
Cary.
=95 10P The Kinksmen (Kinks Covers by the Jeff Hart Band)
American (North Carolina) guitarist, singer and songwriter. Has
incited the occasional riot here and there with the Americana styled
Brown Mountain Lights (disbanding in April 2007), The Nervous Grooms,
The Panther Branch Boys, The Hanks, The Frosted Sugar Bombs & his own
rock combo Jeff Hart & The Ruins.
Recent projects include part time Neil Young / Crazy Horse cover band
"Young Neil and The Damage Done", Meltzer-Hart (with Tom Meltzer), and
a Television (Marquee Moon era) tribute band called Amps Do Furnish a
Room in which the artist and album changes every year. He's played
bass and guitar with other NC standouts such as the Two Dollar
Pistols, Chris Stamey's Big Band and Robert Kirkland & The Hanks
following the breakup of Arrogance. A 20 year veteran of the NC music
meat grinder, primarily in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill clubs.
Though original in his pop-craft, his indie-roots guitar influences
can be traced to the Flying Burrito Brothers, The Beatles, The Byrds,
Neil Young, The Kinks, Tom Petty, the Replacements and even
Television.

Saturday May 23
=95 8P Heath Tuttle (bare naked blues)
Piedmont blues on a classical guitar.
=95 10P The Bob Funck Band (folk rock/pop)
Bob Funck's music can be described as rhythmic, acoustic rock with a
warm, melodic complexity that is both accessible and unpredictable.
His vocal melodies are colorful and adventuresome, and laden with
irresistible hooks. The songs are at once melancholy and hopeful,
weaving personal, philosophical, social, and spiritual themes into
intricate lyrical tapestries. His voice is stirring and emotive,
exuding the kind of feeling that only comes from bare sincerity. Bobs
guitar work is a dynamic, expressive blend of alternating picking and
syncopated strumming that often employs an unusual, beautiful
dissonance approach to chord selection.

Sunday May 24
=95 7P Aaron Mills Project - Sunday Night Jazz
Starting at 7, Open Jam at 9
If you are in any way a fan of jazz, this is not to be missed !!!
Aaron Mills, best known as the audacious bassist of classic funk act
Cameo, has inspired a generation of groovy musicians, but his long
time love affair with jazz has inspired The Aaron Mills Project.
Aaron has been playing at the Cafe for a few months now, along with
Wayne Kee, Bobby Hinton, Warren Fraizer and others. Aaron has brought
Sunday night jazz back to the Cafe in a format that includes a cast of
regulars as well as featured guest musicians every week. Towards the
end of the evening, the night becomes an open jam, so, if anyone wants
to come blow their horn....

--
The Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad Street

  • Broad Street Cafe - Lots of Great FREE Music in Durham!, BSC, 05/19/2009