ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of May 16, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of May 16, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 19:21:07 -0400

If you haven't already been to the Bain Project (http://www.bainproject.com) in Raleigh, you *need* to go. Big old art-deco water-treatment plant, semi-decaying, half-cleaned-out and turned into art-installation/performance space. It's only open one more day (tomorrow, Sunday 5/17) from 1-5 p.m.

I took some photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rossgrady/tags/bain/

You can stop by on your way to or from Rebus Fest III at Rebus Works in Boylan Heights.

Otherwise:

Saturday, May 16
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Roxcetera (http://www.myspace.com/roxcetera)
Free Electric State (http://www.myspace.com/freeelectricstate)
The Pinhook, Durham

This is a big show/fest called Pick 'n' Bitch, put together by Kim from Misbehaved Records, highlighting bands that aren't all-boy, and benefiting local woman-focused organizations including Planned Parenthood. The full lineup:

7:00 - Scientific Superstar
7:45 - Roxcetera
8:30 - Pistil
9:15 - The Wigg Report
10:00 - Jews and Catholics
10:45 - Pink Flag
11:30 - Free Electric State
12:15 - The Virgo 9
1:00 - Princess and the Criminals

Saturday, May 16
Here Are the Young Men
Mr. Suit
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Members of various local bands (including some chunks of that great long-defunct Chapel Hill band Cold Sides) assemble to cover/tributize Joy Division (HATYM) and Wire (Mr. Suit).

Saturday, May 16
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Wizzerds of Rhyme
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is night 2 of the weekend-long Holidays for Quince Block Party. Heavy blues/swamp gtr/drums duo The Moaners are the latest HFQ signees.
http://www.holidaysforquince.com/

Saturday, May 16
Tres Chicas (http://www.treschicas.org/)
Whistlestop (http://www.myspace.com/whistlestop)
Pour House, Raleigh

Sunday, May 17
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Kenny Roby's Mercy Filter (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Tin Star
Rebus Works, Raleigh

Rebus Works is an art gallery on the corner of Boylan Heights, next to the bridge; in addition to being great folks with a good eye for art, the owners have been involved in the local music scene for literally decades. Periodically they have outdoor festivals in the little cul-de-sac in front of their gallery. Here's the info about the latest:

RebusFest3 will be here in just a few days, and we hope that you can join us! The big party takes place on Sunday, May 17, from 1-6 p.m. There will be music (see the band line-up below), art, kid’s crafts, Locopops, beer (from Carolina Brewing Company), and food, too!

MUSIC
1-2 / Tin Star
2-3 / Magic Babies
3-4 / Dirty Little Heaters
4-5 / Kenny Roby’s Mercy Filter
5-6 / The Loners

DJ Midnite Cowbwoy will be spinning between the sets.

ART: Julie Armbruster, Matthew Barton, Gabriella Corter, Captive Collective, Johanna Ely, Sivana Gur, Celia Gray, Abie Harris, Emily Soldin Howard, Curtis Krueger, Clifton May, Sonya Coulson Rook, Ronnie Tomany, and Lauren Turner.

Sunday, May 17
Bellafea (http://www.bellafea.com/)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Screaming Females (http://www.screamingfemales.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Night 3 of the Holidays for Quince Block Party, including NJ's Screaming Females, and HFQ mainstays Caltrop (as well as label co-owner Heather McEntire's Bellafea). http://www.holidaysforquince.com/

Monday, May 18
her space holiday (http://www.aiprecords.com/artists/her-bio.html)
City Light (http://www.myspace.com/citylightproject)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, May 18
Goes Cube (http://www.myspace.com/goescube)
Rocket Cottage
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 19
Teh Vodak (http://www.reverbnation.com/vodak)
The Burning Hotels (http://www.myspace.com/theburninghotels)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 19
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Wizardry (http://www.myspace.com/wizardrylives)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, May 19
Goes Cube (http://www.myspace.com/goescube)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Wednesday, May 20
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
Tin Star
The Pinhook, Durham

This is a benefit for the Coalition to Unchain Dogs, and is an EARLY show. Seriously, Regina Hexaphone goes on at 7:00 p.m. Two great bands, on a weeknight, at a worker-friendly hour, in a nonsmoking venue with great beers on tap? HEAVEN.

Wednesday, May 20
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Floating Action (http://www.myspace.com/floatingaction)
Pour House, Raleigh

Seth Kauffman put out a pair of solo albums -- "Ting" and "Research" -- which were great out-of-nowhere home-recorded mini-masterpieces of mid-fi 60s soul/ska retro-ism. Loose-limbed, full of great slack drumming, organ, shoop-shoop backing vocals; they were some of my favorite things over the past few years.

For his third album, he adopted a band name, Floating Action, but still recorded the whole thing at home, mostly by himself. It's entirely of a piece with his first two albums, which is to say it's great.

He *does* have a band nowadays, and they'll be playing at the Pour House. Seth's from the Asheville area, so he doesn't get to the Triangle all that often. Don't sleep on this one.

Wednesday, May 20
Mixel Pixel (http://www.mixelpixel.com/)
The Alcazar Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/thealcazarhotel)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

I picked up the Alcazar Hotel album, Come On! Dig the Unified Theory!, the other day. It's popmuzik run through a heavy dirty southern blooz/scuzz filter. I haven't seen them yet, but if they can pull it off live without getting too Jon Spencery, I think we'll have a winner.

Wednesday, May 20
The Kick Ass (http://bifocalmedia.com/ourbands/thekickass.html)
Adam's Castle
Me You Us Them
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Thursday, May 21
Mr Lif (http://www.mrlif.com/)
Social Memory Complex (http://www.myspace.com/socialmemorycomplex)
Grieves (http://www.myspace.com/grieves)
Willie Evans Jr (http://www.myspace.com/willieev)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 21
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
Lost in the Trees (http://www.lostinthetrees.com)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is another in the Local Bands, Local Beers series.

Thursday, May 21
Husky (http://www.huskyrock.com)
Battle Rockets (http://www.myspace.com/battlerockets)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 21
Monologue Bombs (http://www.myspace.com/themonologuebombs)
Geisha Hit Squad
Jeremy Gilchrist
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Monologue Bombs is the solo (accordion or piano & vox) project of Scott Phillips, who plays keyboards & sings in Goner. I like Monologue Bombs because it pushes Scott's excellent songwriting more to the fore.

Friday, May 22
Don Dixon (http://www.myspace.com/dondixonsmusic)
Mitch Easter (http://www.mitcheaster.com/)
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
The Garage, Winston-Salem

Garage says:

Revolve Music Night featuring The Making of REM's Murmur record: A conversation with producers Mitch Easter and Don Dixon

Lyrics 101, live performance by Dixon with autographed copies of his new lyric book available

Also:
Mitch Easter
Jews & Catholics

Friday, May 22
Adam Sampieri (http://www.reverbnation.com/adamsampieri)
The Kinksmen (http://www.myspace.com/jeffhoo)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

The Kinksmen are the Kings tribute/cover band assembled by Jeff Hart, who could probably lay legitimate claim to being the #1 Kinks fan in the Triangle.

Friday, May 22
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Rosewood Thieves (http://www.myspace.com/therosewoodthieves)
True Womanhood
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

I wasn't sold on Huguenots before I saw 'em. Their early demos were Beatlesy in a prim, mannered way.

Live, however, it's a whole other story. The songs are still 100% classic pop, but the way they fling themselves into their songs (not to mention all over the stage) verges on anarchy.

Friday, May 22
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Lemming Malloy (http://www.myspace.com/lemmingmalloymusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The unchartedness of the current music-industry terrain is a commonplace by now; it has been done to death in every blog & publication in the land. Nevertheless, it must be invoked again, albeit briefly, as it's the only way to explain the existence and business plan (not to mention blog) of Neckbeard Records, whose showcase this is [sort of: IWTDI left the label recently (after releasing nothing) but is still playing the show].

Friday, May 22
Gospel Years
The Groves
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Friday, May 22
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Blackholicus (http://www.myspace.com/blackholicustheband)
Gollum (http://www.myspace.com/gollum)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Saturday, May 23
Witch Hunt
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

The website says: 'Heavy, melodic DIY punk outta Philly.'

Saturday, May 23
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Two local bands who've both developed quite the rabid local followings -- true passion, lusty singalongs, the whole package -- while still making smart, complex, well-played music that's radio-friendly (but only in that alternate universe where commercial radio loves great pop and doesn't suck ass). If you're the sort of person who likes to check out Next Big Things so you can reminisce about that one Cradle show, years later, you'd better jump quickly.

Saturday, May 23
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Basalt (http://www.myspace.com/nickyisbasalt)
The Pinhook, Durham

The Loners & the Dirty Little Heaters you know about by now; only thing I need to add is that the DLH have become even *more* unstoppable with the addition of Doug White on organ. I know, it didn't seem possible.

Basalt you may not know about: Singer/guitarist Nicky Trimiar was in the original, swirlier version of Greensboro's Mercury Birds; later on she was in an excellent psych/pop band called Taija Rae. Basalt is a gtr/drums duo, and the emphasis is again psych/pop, but stripped *way* down.

Saturday, May 23
Boxbomb
Barbarella (www.myspace.com/barbarellach)
En Serenade (http://www.myspace.com/enserenade)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 23
The Bleeding Hearts (http://www.thebleedinghearts.net/home.html)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, May 24
Gross Ghost (http://www.myspace.com/grossghost)
Ponytail (http://www.myspace.com/jreamteam)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Gross Ghost is the new outfit of Mike Dillon (ex-Spader).

Tuesday, May 26
Crash (http://www.myspace.com/crashkills)
Sunset (http://www.myspace.com/lobosunset)
The Soul Band