ch-scene - stuff to do, week of May 9, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of May 9, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 17:33:24 -0400

Lotta nonsmoking Local 506 shows coming up -- every one listed here, in fact, except for Ghost/Magik Markers on Tuesday. Now's the time for the nonsmoking rock fans to come out & prove that nonsmoking shows still draw. If I had to pick two, I'd pick the [awesome] Thermals on Thursday, or the Joy Division/Wire tribute Saturday.

Also notable: Whodini, free, downtown Durham, Saturday evening the 16th.

Otherwise:

Saturday, May 9
Roman Candle (http://www.romancandlemusic.com/)
Keegan DeWitt (http://www.keegandewitt.com/)
The Deep Vibration (http://www.thedeepvibration.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a CD-release for the new Roman Candle CD. I've sort of lost track of what RC have been up to, but I can only assume their brand of sweet breezy southern pop is still more or less intact.

This tour is sponsored by Paste Magazine and the Cincinnati-based WOXY.com, which is an odd bird: formerly the commercial-alternative station WOXY/97X, they lost enough money that by 2004, their parent company sold off the license & shuttered the station. After a few months offline, they re-emerged as an internet-only webradio station; they claim they may be the first commercial radio station to go *off* the air & onto the internet.

Yet more amusing footnote: recently they've come back *on* the air in Cincinnati via HD Radio -- on the 2nd HD channel of the local public radio station.

Saturday, May 9
Grappling Hook (http://www.myspace.com/torchmaraudersgrapplinghook)
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
Minor Stars (http://www.myspace.com/minorstars)
The Pinhook, Durham

The first half of this evening (7:00 - 9:30 pm) is the latest installment of Pinhook Arts. To wit:

Brian Howe and Ashley Howe- film
Langston Fuze- spoken word
Joanna Catherine Scott- novelist
Little Green Pig- theater
Khristian Weeks- sound performance

Then, at 10:00, the rock commences, with the Durham County album-release party of the AMAZING new Grappling Hook album. I've had the thing for the better part of a month now, and I swear to god, there have been long stretches when I've listened to nothing else, on repeat, over and over.

12:00 - Grappling Hook
11:00 - Le Weekend
10:00 - Minor Stars

Saturday, May 9
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
ANTiSEEN (http://www.antiseen.com)
Psychocharger (http://www.psychocharger.com/)
Joe Buck (http://www.myspace.com/joebuckyourselfmotherfucker)
Crank County Daredevils (http://www.myspace.com/crankcountydaredevils)
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

This is being billed as Trash-O-Rama 2009. The full lineup is:

Antiseen
Joe Buck Yourself
Crank County Daredevils
Dexter Romweber
Psychocharger
Kings Of Hell
Memphis Morticians
The Tremors
Mean Mean Man and the Brass Knuckle Band

Saturday, May 9
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Whatever Brains (http://www.myspace.com/whateverbrains)
Gross Ghost
Pour House, Raleigh

The Love Language began as a solo-recording project by ex-Capulets singer Stuart McLamb. Somehow, miraculously, not only did he write & record an excellent album, but he also arranged the songs perfectly to accommodate the 7-piece band he was then forced to assemble.

I can't speak firsthand, having only seen them for the first time the other day, but the early word on the live band was that 7 people onstage could get a little chaotic. Betwixt then & now, however, they've spent a fair amount of time on the road, and the band I saw last Friday night at Local 506 was loose, sure, but also self-assured, well-rehearsed, and, well, fucking awesome.

I'm no longer capable (if I ever was) of predicting what music is going to catch on with the general public, and I'm OK with that, so I won't say I was surprised by the enthusiasm of the audience, nor by their remarkable level of recall of every-single-word of every-single-song. But it *was* pretty goddamn exciting to see that many people -- particularly that many people under the age of 25, that cohort who supposedly download everything and fall in love with none of it -- singing along lustily to what is still (despite the hype, the Spin.com feature, etc) a fairly young local band.

Saturday, May 9
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Death to the Details (http://www.reverbnation.com/deathtothedetails)
The Lights, Fluorescent (http://www.myspace.com/thelightsfluorescent)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The best thing about Red Collar quitting their jobs to pursue rock-n-roll fulltime, apart from the basic massive inspiration quotient, is the fact that frontman Jason Kutchma seems to have more time to write long philosophical ramblings on their blog.

Oh yeah: nonsmoking show. yay!

Saturday, May 9
Inspector 22
Waumiss (http://www.myspace.com/waumiss)
Dead Stars (http://www.myspace.com/deadstars)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Waumiss are the charming & ever-delightful popband of Clarque Blomquist (Kingsbury Manx, etc) & his wife Caroline.

Saturday, May 9
Members of Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Sexy Prime (http://sexyprime.com)
La Snacks
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 9
Lafcadio (http://www.myspace.com/lafcadiorocks)
The Whisky Smugglers
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, May 10
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Nathan Oliver just put out their second album, Cloud Animals, which delivers on all the promise of their first, and then some. Pixiesish frantic moments, plus a dose of that Pox World Empire lushness. 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, May 10
Wye Oak (http://www.myspace.com/wyeoak)
Pomegranates (http://www.myspace.com/pomegranatesart)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a nonsmoking show.

Sunday, May 10
Reid Johnson
Eric Sommer (http://ericsommer.com)
Generationals (http://www.myspace.com/generationals)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

After some time spent bumming around Europe, former Schooner bassist Tripp Cox landed in New Orleans, where he's currently playing in Generationals. They play the Cave tonight with Tripp's old bandmate, Schooner frontman Reid Johnson.

Sunday, May 10
Butterflies (http://www.myspace.com/butterfliesnc)
3rd Heat
Hi Ho Silver Oh (http://www.myspace.com/hihosilveroh)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

After Sweater Weather frontman Casey Trela graduated from UNC, he packed up & moved to Los Angeles. Hi Ho Silver Oh is the name of his current band (well, acoustic duo anyway), and they're coming through on what must be a fairly elaborate tour.

Monday, May 11
Magik Markers (http://magikmarkers.netfirms.com/)
Ghost (http://www.myspace.com/ghostjapanpsych)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, May 11
Skeleton Breath (http://www.skeletonbreath.com/)
Battle Rockets (http://www.myspace.com/battlerockets)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 12
919Noise Showcase
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This time around, it's Guitar Night. Performers:

Josh Zaslow
Bruce Stevens
Ted Johnson
Matt Westlake
R.Lloyd Mason
Remora
Zeke Graves

Tuesday, May 12
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Pretty and Nice (http://www.myspace.com/prettyandnice)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a nonsmoking show.

Wednesday, May 13
Resist Not (http://www.resistnot.net)
River City Ransom
Lions at Lunchtime (http://www.reverbnation.com/lionsatlunchtime)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, May 13
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)
Alexis Gideon (http://www.alexisgideon.com/)
Shelley Short (http://www.myspace.com/shelleyshort)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

EAR PWR = freaky fun spazzed-out dancebeatz from Western NC.

Thursday, May 14
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Clawform
HTML (He Taught Me Lies)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

HTML are a hardcore band from Pittsburgh. I dunno if this is full-band des_ark or just Aimee, but it really doesn't matter, as both are equally amazing. Clawform is, of course, Colin's solo death-metal banjo project: sequenced blast-beats from laptop, a shit-ton of pedals, and endless series of mesmerizing banjo arpeggios. And yes, it works. Really well, in fact.

Thursday, May 14
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Crude (http://www.myspace.com/hakodatehardcore)
Unit 21 (http://www.myspace.com/unit21)
Plague (http://www.myspace.com/plaguenc)
Pour House, Raleigh

Double Negative you know about: local hardcore that transcends both "local" and "hardcore." Terrifyingly good. Only show I've ever been to with a pregnant woman in the moshpit.

Crude appears to be hardcore from Japan.

Thursday, May 14
The Thermals (http://www.myspace.com/thethermals)
Shaky Hands (http://www.myspace.com/shakyhands)
Point Juncture, WA (http://www.myspace.com/ptjuncturewa)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 14
Sorry About Dresden (http://www.sorryaboutdresden.com)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

It's another in Tir na nOg's Local Bands, Local Beers nights. This one's pretty epic: From the skewed jazzbo art-pop of Le Weekend, to the classic late-90s-vintage indie-rock of vets Sorry About Dresden, and the massive garage stomp-and-growl of the Dirty Little Heaters, who've grown to a quartet with the addition of Doug White on organ (which works *amazingly* well).

Thursday, May 14
Boat Burning (http://www.myspace.com/boatburning)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, May 15
The Beast
CCB Plaza (aka The Bull's Balls), Durham

The Beast are a local hip-hop group with somewhat more live instrumentation than average. This early-evening (6-8 p.m.) show is a kickoff of sorts for this weekend's Bimbé Festival, which is headlined Saturday evening by Whodini. Yes, *that* Whodini.

Friday, May 15
Let's Get Small: Ukelele Challenge (http://ukulelechallenge.blogspot.com/)
The Pinhook, Durham

A Ukulele Challenge Benefit Concert for Ukuleles for Peace. Sponsored by High Strung Violins and Guitars.

12:20 - Servant Hearts
12:00 - Persona Au Gratin
11:40 - The Koyanagi Sisters
11:20 - Nevin J. Carswell (with accompanying musicians)
11:00 - Erie Choir
10:40 - The Wigg Report
10:20 - Peter Holsapple
10:00 - Durham Ukulele Orchestra

A challenge was issued to local musicians whose primary instruments are not normally the ukelele. This show is the result.

Friday, May 15
Liza Kate (http://www.myspace.com/lizakate)
Mount Moriah (http://www.myspace.com/mountmoriah)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is night 1 of the Holidays for Quince Block Party. It's also a CD-release show for Liza Kate.

Friday, May 15
Greg Humphreys
Benji Hughes (http://www.myspace.com/benjihughes)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

Reclusive Charlotte popstar/freak Benji Hughes came through Chapel Hill not long ago & left people sort of nonplussed by his utter lack of stage presence. (He's a fragile bearded recluse; what did you expect?)

Saturday, May 16
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Roxcetera (http://www.myspace.com/roxcetera)
Free Electric State (http://www.myspace.com/freeelectricstate)
The Pinhook, Durham

This is a big show/fest called Pick 'n' Bitch, put together by Kim from Misbehaved Records, highlighting bands that aren't all-boy, and benefiting local woman-focused organizations including Planned Parenthood. The full lineup:

7:00 - Scientific Superstar
7:45 - Roxcetera
8:30 - Pistil
9:15 - The Wigg Report
10:00 - Jews and Catholics
10:45 - Pink Flag
11:30 - Free Electric State
12:15 - The Virgo 9
1:00 - Princess and the Criminals

Saturday, May 16
Here Are the Young Men
Mr. Suit
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Members of various local bands (including some chunks of that great long-defunct Chapel Hill band Cold Sides) assemble to cover/tributize Joy Division (HATYM) and Wire (Mr. Suit).

Saturday, May 16
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Wizzerds of Rhyme
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is night 2 of the weekend-long Holidays for Quince Block Party. Heavy blues/swamp gtr/drums duo The Moaners are the latest HFQ signees.

Saturday, May 16
Tres Chicas (http://www.treschicas.org/)
Whistlestop (http://www.myspace.com/whistlestop)
Pour House, Raleigh

Sunday, May 17
Bellafea (http://www.bellafea.com/)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Screaming Females (http://www.screamingfemales.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Night 3 of the Holidays for Quince Block Party, including NJ's Screaming Females, and HFQ mainstays Caltrop (as well as label co-owner Heather McEntire's Bellafea).

Sunday, May 17
Blacklist Royals (http://www.myspace.com/blacklistroyals)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Monday, May 18
her space holiday (http://www.aiprecords.com/artists/her-bio.html)
City Light (http://www.myspace.com/citylightproject)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 19
Teh Vodak (http://www.reverbnation.com/vodak)
The Burning Hotels (http://www.myspace.com/theburninghotels)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 19
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Wizardry (http://www.myspace.com/wizardrylives)
Reservoir, Carrboro

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of May 9, 2009, grady, 05/09/2009