ch-scene - stuff to do, week of April 4, 2009

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of April 4, 2009
  • Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 10:45:46 -0400

Saturday, April 4
Cool John Ferguson (http://www.musicmaker.org/artistroster/Cooljohn.htm)
Captain Luke (http://www.musicmaker.org/artists/index.php?bandid=7)
Whistlin Britches (http://www.musicmaker.org/artistroster/whistlinbrtiches.html)
John Dee Holeman
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is an anniversary party for the Music Maker Relief Foundation, which locates, nurtures & supports aging & struggling blues & roots musicians. The full lineup as I read it the other day (essentially a big chunk of the label's roster) is: John Dee Holeman, Cool John Ferguson, Sol Creech, Bubba Norwood, Captain Luke, Whistlin’ Britches, Andy Coates, Billy Stevens

Saturday, April 4
Goner (http://www.gonertheband.com/)
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is a book-release party & show for the latest installment in local drummer/cartoonist Brian Walsby's highly successful Manchild series. He's up to #4, and as with #3, you get a rare/unreleased Melvins CD along with the book of comix.

*And* you get to see four of the best bands in North Carolina, from the brutal garage-stomp of the Loners and the bittersweet townie-in-a-college-town rock of Goner, to the skull-removing squall of des_ark and the brilliant, hyper-evolved hardcore of Walsby's own band Double Negative.

Saturday, April 4
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Deleted Scenes
The Beast
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Night two of Viking Storm, this time featuring Hammer No More the Fingers themselves, whose new album, "Looking for Bruce," is one of the reasons for the Viking invasion. Also on the bill, the long-dormant Future Kings of Nowhere, the boozy Replacementsy rock-n-roll of the Dry Heathens, and The Beast, a hip-hop with-live-instruments outfit MC'd by Pierce Freelon.

Saturday, April 4
Stratocruiser (http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/)
Morningstars
Veelee (http://www.myspace.com/seeveelee)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Stratocruiser are a huge-sounding power-pop band masterminded by Sparklefest guru Mike Nicholson. Veelee are the new band of Matthew Park, who was in Opening Flower Happy Bird. They're also a duo, but this time around Matt's joined by Ginger.

I know nothing about the Morningstars, but I would like to commend them for following in the footsteps of that great 90s Chapel Hill band Starpoint, in naming themselves after a local mini-storage facility. It's a fine tradition.

What do all these bands have in common? They've all got members who work at Local 506. Yes, it's the 506 Employee of the Month show.

Saturday, April 4
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 4
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
Feral Foster (http://www.myspace.com/rootsnruckusferal)
The Black Twigs (http://www.myspace.com/blacktwigs)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is the monthly FrequeNC Records night at Nightlight. They say "we're so happy to anounce our second annual ROOTS / acoustic JAMDOWN !!! come taste some hot flavors representing our love of early blues and old-time music. historically relevant dj sets will be unleashed. raw powerful roots (dance???) music will be created. i'm guessing buster keaton might be back on the screen again... SAME DAY AS THE FOLKLIFE RECORD SALE. so you'll be in the mood big-time!!!"

Sunday, April 5
Ariel Pink (http://www.arielpink.com/)
Vivian Girls (http://www.myspace.com/viviangirlsnyc)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The consensus from SXSW on the Vivian Girls seemed to be that they were very much still figuring their shit out, and regardless of how much you liked/disliked their album, their live show wasn't together enough to justify (or survive) the massive attention being heaped upon them. (And thus, depending on the writer's feelings about the album, the band, or fun amateurish garage-pop in general, they were either dismissed snootily or defended passionately.)

Sunday, April 5
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Small Sur (http://www.myspace.com/smallsur)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, April 5
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Music Hates You (http://www.musichatesyou.com)
Reservoir, Carrboro

If you haven't seen Caltrop by now (and jeez, what's wrong with you?), and you're remotely interested in checking out what it'd feel like to be buried under a landslide, without actually dying, then here's yr chance.

Monday, April 6
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Burning Rays (http://www.myspace.com/burningrays)
Left on Cates (http://www.myspace.com/leftoncates)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Monday, April 6
Boyzone (http://www.myspace.com/boyszone)
Yellow Crystal Star (http://www.myspace.com/yellowcrystalstar)
Amir Coyle (http://www.myspace.com/amircoyle)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, April 7
Brian Jonestown Massacre (http://www.bomp.com/BJM.html)
The Flavor Crystals (http://www.flavorcrystalsounds.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, April 7
Anaturale (http://www.myspace.com/anaturale)
Nicky Click (http://www.nickyclick.com)
Miss Mary Wanna
Farmer
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, April 8
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
Robyn Hitchcock (http://www.robynhitchcock.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Robyn Hitchcock's band is called the Venus 3 & it consists of Scott McCaughey, Peter Buck and Bill Rieflin. Eric Roehrig's band is called Erie Choir & it consists of Eric, Bob Wall, and I don't even know who else at this point. I hope that if you're one of the ones going out for Robyn Hitchcock, you'll arrive early enough for Erie Choir, as they're one of the great unsung local bands of the past 8 years.

Wednesday, April 8
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Challenger (http://www.challengermusic.com/)
Boxbomb
Auxes (http://www.myspace.com/auxes)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

That's actually Auxes VS Challenger, made even more complicated by the fact that both bands are masterminded by Dave Laney (ex-Griver, ex-Milemarker).

Thursday, April 9
Maria Taylor (http://www.saddle-creek.com/bands/mariataylor/)
Whispertown 2000 (http://myspace.com/Whispertown2000)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, April 9
On Photon (http://myspace.com/onphotonmusic)
The Magpies
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, April 9
Teh Vodak (http://www.reverbnation.com/vodak)
Ribbons (http://www.myspace.com/ribbonsnyc)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, April 10
Grappling Hook (http://www.myspace.com/torchmaraudersgrapplinghook)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Jason Adamo
Armadillo Grill @ the Bryan Center, Duke W. Campus, Durham

The Grappling Hook are, of course, the Triangle's premier space/fantasy avant-metal art-drone-riff unit. With a real fucking grappling hook.

Magic Babies are a super-sweet 2nd-British-Invasion-influenced pop-rock band with endless hooks and gorgeous harmonies.

Jason Adamo is some sort of singer-songwriter whose coverage in the Indy was entirely persuasive and negative enough to make me glad I've never knowingly heard or seen him.

Friday, April 10
Shake it Like a Caveman (http://www.shakeitlikeacaveman.com/)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

One-man (or sometimes two-man) garage-rock.

Friday, April 10
Kingsbury Manx (http://www.thekingsburymanx.com/)
Impossible Arms
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a big ol' triple CD-release party / debutante ball for Odessa Records, the new label helmed by The Kingsbury Manx's Paul Finn. The Manx you probably know about by now; their new one, Ascenseur Ouvert!, is more of the sweetly droning folk-pop you've come to know and love.

Americans in France are freakier, sorta splitting the difference between old-fashioned garage-rock and No Wave confrontationalist artrock. And Impossible Arms bop between 3-chord power-pop, folk balladry and the occasional spurt of acid-rock, like an *extremely* stoned Cheap Trick.

Friday, April 10
Bombadil (http://www.bombadilmusic.com/)
Lost in the Trees (http://www.lostinthetrees.com)
Benji Hughes (http://www.myspace.com/benjihughes)
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Now that the Avett Brothers have made the leap to a major label, all eyes are on their former labelmates Bombadil, whose brand of folk-rock is a little more aggressively quirky (and a little less high-intensity), but who've been building an ever-more-rabid following for their live shows.

Also on the bill: Charlotte's Benji Hughes, who put out an album last year, seemingly from out of nowhere, that made it onto quite a few year-end best lists. With local emo-chamber-pop outfit Lost in the Trees.

Friday, April 10
DJ Nasty Boots
Juan Huevos (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Miss Mary Wanna
DJ Lady Factual
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, April 10
The Kick Ass (http://bifocalmedia.com/ourbands/thekickass.html)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Rare appearance by NC instru-metal gods The Kickass. This is an after-party for Brian Walsby's Wootini art opening.

Friday, April 10
Bowerbirds (http://www.bowerbirds.org)
Bright Young Things
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, April 11
Jon Shain (http://www.jonshain.com)
Sally Spring (http://www.sallyspring.com/)
Katharine Whalen's Lucky (http://www.myspace.com/ncluckyband)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Saturday, April 11
Urban Sophisticates (http://www.urbansophisticates.com/)
O Period (http://www.myspace.com/operiod)
The Beast
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Local hip-hop with live musicians playing tangible instruments onstage.

Saturday, April 11
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
High Master (http://www.highmaster.blogspot.com/)
The Pinhook, Durham

High Master are a new Viking band from Durham. No concrete word just yet as to exactly what that means. Rat Jackson are boozy garage-punk from Chapel Hill. Pink Flag are a great weird still-working-it-out 3-piece all-woman avant-punk band from Durham, who somehow manage to mix Raincoats/Au Pairs naive angularity with good old fashioned pop hooks.

Saturday, April 11
Jimmy & The Teasers (http://www.geocities.com/booze1031/teasers.html)
Chrome Plated Apostles (http://www.demonbeach.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 11
Puritan Rodeo (http://www.thepuritanrodeoshow.blogspot.com/)
Mark Holland's Rhythm Force (http://www.myspace.com/mhollandsrhythmforce)
Backwords
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, April 12
Wembley (http://www.myspace.com/wembleystadium)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Wembley put out one of the great unheralded releases of 2008, a self-titled full-length that went unheralded in part because, in their case, "put out" meant "hand out free to people at shows." I'm not going to say it "deserved a proper release" because honestly, in this day & age, I wouldn't really wish that on anyone. But nevertheless, you oughta hear it.

Next best thing: tune in at 4:00 p.m. and hear them play live on the radio. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Monday, April 13
Of Montreal (http://www.angelfire.com/ga/ofmontreal/)
Inkwell (http://www.myspace.com/inkwell)
Fire Zuave (http://www.firezuave.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Monday, April 13
Appleseed Cast (http://www.theappleseedcast.com/)
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
An Horse (http://www.myspace.com/anhorse)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The blogosphere has been raving about An Horse for a year or so now, and 506 owner Glenn Boothe has been raving about them since last fall when they played 506 the first time. I thought I'd downloaded an MP3 at some point, but can't locate it, so I can't rave (or anti-rave, as the case may be).

Tuesday, April 14
Stereo Total (http://www.stereototal.de/home/index.html)
Leslie and the Lys (http://www.leslieandthelys.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

The one time I saw Leslie and the Lys, it was at Nightlight, and Leslie was having awful DVD-playback troubles (what!? It's a multimedia show, all right?) and it was kind of a trainwreck but it was still one of the best things I've ever seen.

I can only imagine that having it on the big Cradle stage would just make it that much more surreal & thus more awesome. It'd take a far bigger stage than the Cradle's to intimidate Leslie, anyway.

Tuesday, April 14
Dylan Gilbert
Fever and the Fallin' Rain (http://myspace.com/feverandthefallinrain)
Pure Horsehair (http://www.myspace.com/purehorsehairmusic)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, April 14
The New Familiars (http://www.myspace.com/fedorandguthrie)
Boulder Acoustic Society (http://www.myspace.com/boulderacousticsociety)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of April 4, 2009, grady, 04/04/2009