ch-scene - The Broad Street Cafe - Music Maker Event, Reggae, Rock, & More!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: BSC <junk AT hitezone.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: The Broad Street Cafe - Music Maker Event, Reggae, Rock, & More!
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 05:10:20 -0700 (PDT)

Tuesday Mar 31
=95 8:30P High Strung Music's Old Time Jam w/ Aaron Greenhood
Old-time music is a form of North American folk music, with roots in
the folk musics of many countries, including England, Scotland,
Ireland and Africa. This musical form developed along with various
North American folk dances, such as square dance, buck dance, and
clogging. The genre also encompasses ballads and other types of folk
songs. It is played on acoustic instruments, generally centering on a
combination of fiddle and plucked string instruments (most often the
guitar and banjo).

Wednesday April 1
=95 8P Continuum Blues Jam
Come out to the Blues Jam every other Wednesday sponsored by Continuum
Consulting Services. Butch Haas will be facilitating this free-to-the-
public jam. So bring your gear, sign up for a time, and jam with some
of Durham=92s finest! Drums, keyboard, bass, guitar and harp amps
provided.

Thursday April 2
=95 8P Chris Bryant (acoustic)
Chris Bryant is a first year Teach for America teacher in Durham
Public Schools by day and an up-and-coming singer/songwriter by night.
While studying economics at Duke University, he satisfied his creative
side by singing in the Pitchforks =96 Duke=92s premiere all male a
cappella group. As a Pitchfork, Chris was nominated for Contemporary A
cappella Recording Awards (kind of like the Grammy=92s of a cappella) in
the categories of =93Best Collegiate Male Soloist=94 and =93Best Scholastic
Original.=94 Since graduation, Chris has dusted off his much neglected
guitar and started playing his soulful, no-frills music at open mics,
coffee shops, and living rooms around the greater triangle area. Chris
Bryant plays an eclectic but cohesive mix of covers with a handful of
heartfelt originals thrown in for good measure. Catch a performance =96
you won=92t be disappointed!
=95 10P Luego (rock/indie)
Under the able direction of Patrick Phelan, Luego is Jeff Crawford
(Roman Candle), Peter Holsapple (REM, the dBs, Hootie and the
Blowfish), Nick Jaeger (Roman Candle) drummer Rob DiMauro. They've
toured in over 25 states, been on television, the radio, and played
some big venues with some big names. What to expect from a Luego show?
The lyrical delivery of Dylan, the rock sensibility of Wilco, a hint
of swagger.
=95 11:30P Oscar Begat (folk rock/pop/indie)
The Cave owner Mr. Mouse says: "Oscar Begat is a folksy pop band with
lush harmonies, rich violin solos and melodic guitar." Blogger Joe
Future says it's "part Dave Matthews, part singer/songwriter, and part
folk/blues ... Nick Cave meets Phish ... (Smalltalk is) a lullaby
worthy of Bjork." And Grayson Currin, music editor at The Independent,
says "Oscar Begat swings its folk rock between a G.Love-like vivacity
and a Cat Stevens-like passion. These textures come from violin (and)
co-ed harmonies, and the words come with youthful yearning."

Friday April 3
=95 8P The Ericksons (folk)
"Brooklyn-based folk duo The Ericksons claim a smorgasbord of
disparate influences, from the usual suspects (Bob Dylan, Lucinda
Williams et al.) to the less obvious, such as Radiohead and Yo La
Tengo. But it is the joining of those seemingly contrasting
inspirations that ultimately produces the pair=92s sparkling take on the
well-trod paths of American folk songwriting. With a keen appreciation
of Americana storytelling and a gift for heart-wrenching melodicism
and stunning harmonic twists, their sound is a perfect marriage of
tradition and modernism." (Dan Bolles, Seven Days)
=95 10P Pure Fiyah (reggae)
Our music is the sounds of the system, the good, the bad and the
oppressed ones. We feel its our god given right to express our
feelings through the music. In these times the youth are the ones that
need our help. There are so many of them that have gone astray. So
help us to help them.

Saturday April 4
=95 8P Music Maker 15th Anniversary & John Dee Holeman 80th Birthday
Party
John Dee Holeman, Cool John Ferguson, Sol Creech, Bubba Norwood
Captain Luke, Whistlin' Britches, Andy Coates, and Billy Stevens!

Join us as we celebrate 80 years of John Dee Holeman, and kickoff the
Music Maker 15th anniversary celebratory year!
Holeman, a Durham blues legend, will celebrate his birthday with the
organization that helps him keep his blues alive.

"We first started the organization out of our house, back in 1994,"
Tim Duffy, president of the foundation says. "It's amazing how far we
have come over the years. We could have never done it without our
supporters and artists."

The party will begin at 8 PM at Durham's Broad Street Cafe' and end
with a champagne toast at midnight. In addition to Holeman's nostalgic
blues, other Music Maker Relief Foundation artists and friends
including: Cool John Ferguson, Sol Creech, Bubba Norwood, Captain
Luke, Whistlin' Britches, Andy Coates, and Billy Stevens will help
keep the party alive!

Tickets are $15.00, and are available to the public. Tickets can be
puchased at The Broad Street Cafe or on the Music Maker website:
http://musicmakerstore.stores.yahoo.net/fira20.html

"The foundation has high hopes for this party," Duffy said. "We want
community members to celebrate with us. Let's support our blues
artists while we still can."

Sunday April 5
=95 7P Aaron Mills Project - Sunday Night Jazz
Starting at 7, Open Jam at 9
If you are in any way a fan of jazz, this is not to be missed !!!
Aaron Mills, best known as the audacious bassist of classic funk act
Cameo, has inspired a generation of groovy musicians, but his long
time love affair with jazz has inspired The Aaron Mills Project.
Aaron has been playing at the Cafe for a few months now, along with
Wayne Kee, Bobby Hinton, Warren Fraizer and others. Aaron has brought
Sunday night jazz back to the Cafe in a format that includes a cast of
regulars as well as featured guest musicians every week. Towards the
end of the evening, the night becomes an open jam, so, if anyone wants
to come blow their horn....

--
The Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad St. in Durham

  • The Broad Street Cafe - Music Maker Event, Reggae, Rock, & More!, BSC, 03/31/2009